Wagner ware magnalite 4265-p Dutch Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spbb

Assistant Cook
While clearing a few things from my parents house I found the above old Dutch oven w/ lid in really good condition. I know it is pre 1960's. It appears to be made of an aluminum compound. Can I cook tomato products in this pan w/o staining and off flavors?
TIA for your help!

If I remember right - Magnalite cookware is cast aluminum (same process as making cast iron, just made from aluminum). And, what you have is a roaster - not a dutch oven.

Being aluminum, yes it will stain if you cook tomato products in it. Will it give an "off flavor" - I don't know. But, you can minamize both by not storing food in it.

FWIW - I watched Justin WIlson cook gumbos and other Cajun and Creole dishes with tomatoes in Magnalite for years ...

I have Magnalite pieces that have been used since the 60's. I use it for a lot of my cooking with no problem. I never store food in my pots.

Last edited:
Cook anything in Magnalite but how to brighten it is a question I have

I, too, have Magnalite that I've had since the mid 60's. I cook everything in it. A little Bon Ami will help remove any stains but, frankly, I've never had anything (even tomato) stain this cookware. But I do wonder if the acidic tomato contributes towards the pitting in the interior of my Magnalite, something I have noticed in the last few years. Unfortunately, I've not only noticed that my Magnalite has pitted (interior) but it has also darkened (both surfaces)--probably, through misuse per cleaning. These things may just be a sign of old age (and I have plenty of that, too :LOL:).

I have a question, though, of those who have had Magnalite cookware for several years. Is there any way to brighten it up? I foolishly put mine into the dishwasher--in my ignorant youth :ermm:--and it has turned quite dark. Scouring powder (although I won't use Comet or any harsh ones like that) does not brighten it up. Most of the good metal cleaners, like Brasso, are so caustic that I will not use them on cookware or anything that comes in contact with food. I would love to get my beloved Magnalite roasterette (yep, that's the name on the bottom) all brightened up.

While clearing a few things from my parents house I found the above old Dutch oven w/ lid in really good condition. I know it is pre 1960's. It appears to be made of an aluminum compound. Can I cook tomato products in this pan w/o staining and off flavors?
TIA for your help!

I have one of those that my parents got for a wedding present in 1946. It's made 100's of pot roasts and many gallons of vegetable soup (with tomatoes). It's a great pot...try it out!

I stumbled on this thread while looking for more info on the Wagner Ware Magnalite 4265-P roaster that we received for a wedding gift in 1972. The company is now owned by American Culinary who continue to make the entire product line. For those interested, here's a link to the roaster in question, and from there you can find out more about how it's made.

Joe

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 4265 vs 4265-P?

I just borrowed a 4265 from my neighbor to cook a roast and loved it. So now I want one but don't understand the different numbers. The bottom says it's a Wagner Ware sidney o and then hers says 4265, but when I search the Internet I'm finding ones that have different numbers?

Thank you,
H

Back
Top Bottom