"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I was bidding on the le creuset (ebay) and I put in a max bid of $120 and it went for $130 =( Discouraged, I tried to hunt down the Chefmate from Target... what a hassle. Basically, you MUST buy it from a physical store, and here in Oregon none of the Targets stock it. I think I will keep my eye out on eBay, and if I haven't found one by spring break then I'll stop by a Target on my way down to San Diego.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
Look on Amazon for an Innova or Daniel Bolud for under $100. The Innova is about $50--I love mine and have given them as gifts. Mario Batali's 6qt is about $75 on amazon (on Friday). I have never seen LC new for that price (under $100).
caplan-duval.com has LC and even with shipping is a good price.
If you get just cast iron you can't cook tomato dishes in it.
And Target's enamel cast iron was given a best buy recommendation in an evaluation by a food magazine.
Try Tuesday Morning and TJMaxx and Marshall's for good buys from time to time.
Thanks for the tips. I would be weary of buying the Innova 5 qt. based on CI giving it the worst rating out of all they tested, but it sounds like yours performs well for you! I checked out tuesday morning the other day but I'll keep stopping by.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsOats
Thanks for the tips. I would be weary of buying the Innova 5 qt. based on CI giving it the worst rating out of all they tested, but it sounds like yours performs well for you! I checked out tuesday morning the other day but I'll keep stopping by.
With all due respect, CI doesn't know everything. Their "tasting" panel rated artificial vanillin above real vanilla. ICK.
This is a POT. It cooks things for braises. Mine is as yellow as these silly emoticons and as cute as can be. What more does a pot have to be. AND it is less than 1/4 of the price. I LOVE my LC pots. I have several. I also can cook in and love my Innova. Just made pork hocks in my LC 5qt.
I gave 3 Mario Batali 6 qt. ovens to our kids for Christmas. I am an equal opportunity bargain hunter. They were $60 each, reduced from $100.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
Executive Chef

well, I've had both Inova and Mario Batali cast iron loose hunks of their enameling. Never has a Le creuset pot or pan done that.

Yes I value my raw cast iron...got some Griswold too! But a braise is best in enameled ware, unless it's on the greesy side. BTW, the best item for seasoning raw cast iron is scrapple, so come on to the mid atlantic and buy youselves a hunk of "breakfast pate", fry it up nice and crispy in you rcast iron and just look at it glisten!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
well, I've had both Inova and Mario Batali cast iron loose hunks of their enameling. Never has a Le creuset pot or pan done that.

Yes I value my raw cast iron...got some Griswold too! But a braise is best in enameled ware, unless it's on the greesy side. BTW, the best item for seasoning raw cast iron is scrapple, so come on to the mid atlantic and buy youselves a hunk of "breakfast pate", fry it up nice and crispy in you rcast iron and just look at it glisten!
They both have warranties also.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:57 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Buck and I have had good luck finding Le Creuset at reasonable prices at caplan-duval.com.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:36 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

The LeCrueset outlet stores have good deals on cosmetic seconds. The LC website will give you the locations of stores in your area.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
BTW, the best item for seasoning raw cast iron is scrapple, so come on to the mid atlantic and buy youselves a hunk of "breakfast pate", fry it up nice and crispy in you rcast iron and just look at it glisten!

Scrapple would work great for seasoning a cast Iron pan. Fry it up nice and crispy, then feed it to the dog.. << I'm not sure what that is supposed to be. But I like it.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:32 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Perhaps I should have prefaced this thread with my requirements for this dutch oven. I agree that for braising most will get the job done. For me, browning is a big issue, so I'm on a quest for the best (or close to it -- but that doesn't rhyme). Heat retention is another biggie, as I'm sure I'll use it for deep frying sometime. I do cook mostly lean meats, so in accordance with Robo's comments I feel the enamel is a better choice over raw CI. Even though I'm a poor college student, I look at good cookware as an investment. Ever since I bought my first piece of all clad (12" fry) I've been hooked! Many thanks to all for their responses.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

i know the outlet option was mentioned before, but i have to second it anyway. i just discovered that i have a le creuset store at my outlet mall, went there today and got a 9 qt round oven for just shy of $140. haven't used it yet though, probably will next week. they are discontinuing the citrus, indigo and soleil(sp?), so they're all 30% off now.