Wanted: 7 1/4 qt. le creuset round french oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatsOats

Senior Cook
I apologize in adance if this is against the rules or in the wrong forum!

I'm trying to find a good deal on one of these. Used would be fine if it was in good condition. Sub $100. No color preference. If I can't pick one up in the next couple weeks I might settle for the 5 qt. Chefmate.:(

Try on ebay - BUT even used or as they like to call them "vintage" Le Creuset dutch ovens go for alot on ebay.

elcameron said:
Le Creuset is beautiful, but you might consider plain cast Iron. Here is an interesting article. Best of luck in your search.

Ever So Humble, Cast Iron Outshines the Fancy Pans - New York Times
Thanks for the tip! The enamel coating is simply easier to deal with, imho. Even cooks illustrated had trouble with the Lodge 7 qt. pre-seasoned dutch oven: "boiling water picked up a yellow tint and a rusty smell, indicating that our pot had lost its seasoning."

Anyone? I'd be up for the All Clad 8 qt. stock pot, as well. Somebody has to have one they don't use anymore!

eatsOats said:
Anyone? I'd be up for the All Clad 8 qt. stock pot, as well. Somebody has to have one they don't use anymore!

Hey, eatsOats, you don't say if you live in the U.S.A. but, if you do, check out an organization called Freecycle. You can learn more about them at Freecycle™: Changing the World One Gift at a Time much better than I could explain it.

In a nutshell, you can post items you want to get rid of or things you are seeking. Money is NEVER exchanged because it's a "stuff" recycling site. Buck and I have had very good luck with the group in our area.

Look on Amazon for an Innova or Daniel Bolud for under $100. The Innova is about $50--I love mine and have given them as gifts. Mario Batali's 6qt is about $75 on amazon (on Friday). I have never seen LC new for that price (under $100).
caplan-duval.com has LC and even with shipping is a good price.
If you get just cast iron you can't cook tomato dishes in it.
And Target's enamel cast iron was given a best buy recommendation in an evaluation by a food magazine.
Try Tuesday Morning and TJMaxx and Marshall's for good buys from time to time.

elcameron said:
Le Creuset is beautiful, but you might consider plain cast Iron. Here is an interesting article. Best of luck in your search.

Ever So Humble, Cast Iron Outshines the Fancy Pans - New York Times

Great article, eatsoats!

I have two well-seasoned cast iron frying pans that are my right and left arms. I use them all the time, while my two Calphalons collect dust.

My cast iron Lodge Dutch oven still needs some work to get to the patina, but gets better and better all the time.

Lee

I doubt you will find one for under $100, but don't give up. You are looking for the perfect size and shape IMO. I got mine for not much more than 100 (maybe 150 or so) so don't give up.

I was bidding on the le creuset (ebay) and I put in a max bid of $120 and it went for $130 =( Discouraged, I tried to hunt down the Chefmate from Target... what a hassle. Basically, you MUST buy it from a physical store, and here in Oregon none of the Targets stock it. I think I will keep my eye out on eBay, and if I haven't found one by spring break then I'll stop by a Target on my way down to San Diego.

Candocook said:
Look on Amazon for an Innova or Daniel Bolud for under $100. The Innova is about $50--I love mine and have given them as gifts. Mario Batali's 6qt is about $75 on amazon (on Friday). I have never seen LC new for that price (under $100).
caplan-duval.com has LC and even with shipping is a good price.
If you get just cast iron you can't cook tomato dishes in it.
And Target's enamel cast iron was given a best buy recommendation in an evaluation by a food magazine.
Try Tuesday Morning and TJMaxx and Marshall's for good buys from time to time.
Thanks for the tips. I would be weary of buying the Innova 5 qt. based on CI giving it the worst rating out of all they tested, but it sounds like yours performs well for you! I checked out tuesday morning the other day but I'll keep stopping by.

eatsOats said:
Thanks for the tips. I would be weary of buying the Innova 5 qt. based on CI giving it the worst rating out of all they tested, but it sounds like yours performs well for you! I checked out tuesday morning the other day but I'll keep stopping by.

With all due respect, CI doesn't know everything. Their "tasting" panel rated artificial vanillin above real vanilla. ICK.
This is a POT. It cooks things for braises. Mine is as yellow as these silly emoticons and as cute as can be. What more does a pot have to be. AND it is less than 1/4 of the price. I LOVE my LC pots. I have several. I also can cook in and love my Innova. Just made pork hocks in my LC 5qt.
I gave 3 Mario Batali 6 qt. ovens to our kids for Christmas. I am an equal opportunity bargain hunter. They were $60 each, reduced from $100.

well, I've had both Inova and Mario Batali cast iron loose hunks of their enameling. Never has a Le creuset pot or pan done that.

Yes I value my raw cast iron...got some Griswold too! But a braise is best in enameled ware, unless it's on the greesy side. BTW, the best item for seasoning raw cast iron is scrapple, so come on to the mid atlantic and buy youselves a hunk of "breakfast pate", fry it up nice and crispy in you rcast iron and just look at it glisten!

Robo410 said:
well, I've had both Inova and Mario Batali cast iron loose hunks of their enameling. Never has a Le creuset pot or pan done that.

Yes I value my raw cast iron...got some Griswold too! But a braise is best in enameled ware, unless it's on the greesy side. BTW, the best item for seasoning raw cast iron is scrapple, so come on to the mid atlantic and buy youselves a hunk of "breakfast pate", fry it up nice and crispy in you rcast iron and just look at it glisten!

They both have warranties also.

The LeCrueset outlet stores have good deals on cosmetic seconds. The LC website will give you the locations of stores in your area.

Robo410 said:
BTW, the best item for seasoning raw cast iron is scrapple, so come on to the mid atlantic and buy youselves a hunk of "breakfast pate", fry it up nice and crispy in you rcast iron and just look at it glisten!

Scrapple would work great for seasoning a cast Iron pan. Fry it up nice and crispy, then feed it to the dog..:w00t2: << I'm not sure what that is supposed to be. But I like it.

Perhaps I should have prefaced this thread with my requirements for this dutch oven. ;) I agree that for braising most will get the job done. For me, browning is a big issue, so I'm on a quest for the best (or close to it -- but that doesn't rhyme). Heat retention is another biggie, as I'm sure I'll use it for deep frying sometime. I do cook mostly lean meats, so in accordance with Robo's comments I feel the enamel is a better choice over raw CI. Even though I'm a poor college student, I look at good cookware as an investment. Ever since I bought my first piece of all clad (12" fry) I've been hooked! Many thanks to all for their responses.:chef:

i know the outlet option was mentioned before, but i have to second it anyway. i just discovered that i have a le creuset store at my outlet mall, went there today and got a 9 qt round oven for just shy of $140. haven't used it yet though, probably will next week. they are discontinuing the citrus, indigo and soleil(sp?), so they're all 30% off now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom