"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Wanted to share my excitement, lol.

So we decided to piece together our own cookware set instead of buying one, so we went into tjmaxx today to see what we could find and we came out with an all clad 4 qt copper core saute pan! It was only 199 which seemed like a good deal (even though I had intentions of just getting the regular stainless). So I can now happily store my two all clad finds from this weekend into my empty cupboard, lol.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Master Chef

whooooooo hoooooooo Nothing gets me more excited than a bargain!
Did you find any olive wood kitchen utensils there? Maybe next week.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
whooooooo hoooooooo Nothing gets me more excited than a bargain!
Did you find any olive wood kitchen utensils there? Maybe next week.
I totally agree :) and I saw ONE with a big crack down it :( I was sad because it was sooo pretty too! I did see a beechwood one...but I wasn't sure how those compared and the price wasn't too great either so I decided to wait! Ill have to try our other store next week!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Master Chef

It is funny that I've been thinking along these lines myself lately. That is to say, I was looking at a copy of Savieur magazine. One recommendation from professional chefs was Sitram pots & pans. My husband and I laughed. We'd bought an entire set about ten years ago. Normally I wouldn't buy an entire set of .. well, anything. But the price was right and I needed a new set of cookware, desperately. I've been delighted with them, and just a week or so ago, hubby and I were mentioning that we don't see them in catalogs any more, but we really, really, really love ours. So it was funny to see a pro chef recommend them!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
One recommendation from professional chefs was Sitram pots & pans.
Had to have a look... those are dead sexy pots and pans.

Which line did you get?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Master Chef

I really don't know. Whatever line of them that Chef's Catalog sold about 10 years ago. I moved to this house and had a flat-top electric stove for the first time, and my old trusty copper bottom Revere Ware didn't work well on it. I needed something with a heavy, very flat bottom, and bang for the buck, the Sitram seemed to have the flattest (i.e., I was looking for maximum pan-to-burner surface) bottom. The pieces I would have bought separately were actually cheaper when bought in a full set. I've loved them. Learning to cook with both the different pans and the very different stove was a new juggling act which, if I do say so myself, I've perfected. My Revere just took a very short walk, my new (at the time) next door neighbor expressed an interest, as her pots and pans were a mish-mash of stuff picked up at auctions (her husband's hobby), her stove is gas, and she was happy to have them. I don't envy here the copper cleaning I did for most of my life!

Reading someone say that they're the best made me feel good! Hubby says he keeps seeing them on cooking shows where the kitchen is in European restaurants. It was just interesting to see that confirmed in this article.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

TJ Maxx is great. I purchased my Le Creuset french ovens there for about 30% of what I was going to pay at Bloomingdales. I still get lifetime warranty.