"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
[COLOR=Purple]Hysteria? Personally I prefer to cook in cookware that has zero toxic chemicals.
Do what you like. The fact is that cooking on a surface does not mean you are ingesting it.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Teflon has a long history of being linked to PFOAs - perfluorooctanoic acid...nothing to do with scaremongering or sites that sell products either!

Harmful Teflon Chemical To Be Eliminated by 2015

So these 8 companies are dramatically reducing the exposure to these chemicals over a decade -
whoopee!

The Environmental Protection Agency exists for good reasons.

However, there now appears to be a safe alternative to Teflon, i.e. ceramic non stick pans.

Ceramic Pans Safe? Non-toxic? Review Ceramic Cookware vs. Teflon

Has anyone cooked with these? If so, what is your view of them? I am thinking about buying
such a pan.
PFOA is an issue in the manufacturing process, not in the finished product.

Actual peoples' experiences with ceramic pans indicates they lose their non-stick quality fairly quickly.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #13
Head Chef

I have 2 tri-ply stainless skillets (one 12" All-Clad and one 10" Kitchen Aid), 3 Teflon nonstick skillets (8", 12", and 14" all Bakers and Chefs brand), 2 enameled cast iron dutch ovens, and my seasoned cast iron grill/griddle that swaps places with the middle grate on my range.

I take good care of my nonstick cookware (never overheat and use only plastic or wooden or silicone utensils), and it lasts for a long time. Modern, good quality nonstick coatings don't peel off unless severely mistreated. I'm not concerned in the least about any health issues with any of my cookware.

Quote:
However, there now appears to be a safe alternative to Teflon, i.e. ceramic non stick pans.

http://whiteonricecouple.com/food/ce...pans-cookware/

Has anyone cooked with these? If so, what is your view of them? I am thinking about buying
such a pan.
My wife has one (Orgreenic), and it has never really been nonstick. It's easier to clean than a stainless pan after something like eggs, but it's not even close to working as well as an actual nonstick coating like Teflon.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Has anyone cooked with these?
Yes

Quote:
If so, what is your view of them?
They suck!
Old 02-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
And Bayer, maker of aspirin used by billions of people over the decades, made Zyklon B. What is your point?

Yes many companies have a dubious, dark history. My point might be to be wary of them (not hysterical, you understand)!
Old 02-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #16
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Ah thanks for the feedback posts on ceramic non stick cookware.
Appreciated! I won't be buying them then.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #17
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
PFOA is an issue in the manufacturing process, not in the finished product.

Actual peoples' experiences with ceramic pans indicates they lose their non-stick quality fairly quickly.
Thanks for the info on ceramic non stick cookware.

PFOA unfortunately IS emitted during cooking with teflon non stick cookware but at low emissions. Personally I would rather have 0 levels in my food.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:53 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Here is an exerpt from a 2007 article in Good Housekeeping. It clearly states PFOA is not present in the finished product. Any gases are released at extremely high temperatures and can be fatal to small birds. Believe it or don't. Your choice.

The Good Housekeeping Research Institute with the assistance of Robert L. Wolke, Ph.D., professor emeritus of chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh and Kurunthachalam Kannan, Ph.D., an environmental toxicologist at the New York State Department of Health, tested and analyzed results.

The article addresses the common fears attached to nonstick cookware and debunks some, labeling the cookware as safe with conditions.

When nonstick surfaces reach a temperature exceeding 500 F., the nonstick surface begins to break down and starts releasing chemical compounds. When the surface temperature reaches 660 F., gases are released which can cause flu like symptoms in humans. These gases can be fatal to small birds. At 680 F., toxic gases are released, but in such small quantities as to be harmless.

Bits of nonstick coating that may flake off a pan surface are harmless if ingested. They simply pass through your body.

PFOA, a chemical known to cause tumors and developmental defects in animals (there is no proven harmful effect on humans) is used in the manufacturing process but is not present in the finished product. PFOA is present in other products such as microwave popcorn bags, fast food containers, shampoos, carpeting and clothing.

The article offers six steps to cooking safely with nonstick cookware:

1. Never preheat an empty pan. The temperature can exceed safe levels in as little as two minutes in pans made with thinner materials.
2. Don’t cook on high heat. Set your burner to medium and cook at that level. This is also the manufacturer’s recommendation.
3. Ventilate the kitchen. Turn on your exhaust fans.
4. Don’t broil or sear meats. These cooking methods call for higher heat than is safe for nonstick cookware. Use a different type of pan.
5. Buy heavier nonstick pans. Thicker metal pans take longer to reach and exceed dangerous temperature levels so you have a margin for error if you forget a pan on the burner.
6. Don’t continue to cook with pans that have damaged nonstick coatings. Use wood or plastic utensils to prolong the life of the surface.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Yes many companies have a dubious, dark history. My point might be to be wary of them (not hysterical, you understand)!
Let us know when you figure it out.

Personally, I don't blame the son for the sins of the father, so to speak.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Do what you like. The fact is that cooking on a surface does not mean you are ingesting it.
There are detectable low emissions of PFOA emanating from Teflon non stick cookware. I don't want my food to be anywhere near such sources. Personal choice you understand.

Tags
health