"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
The chemical names of compounds found in fruits and veggies would scare anyone afraid of chemicals. Yet, these develop naturally to protect the fruits and veggies from sunburn, and to promote various processes for proper growth of the plant and the fruiting body.
They're also natural pesticides and fungicides.

Quote:
As far as organic gardening goes, the organic fruits and veggies, an critters, grow more slowly, allowing the plant to absorb more nutrients from the soil. This generally improves the health-giving qualities of the edible parts, and the flavor, as it has time to mature and build the chemical compounds that give the characteristic flavors of the plants.
Organic plants grow more slowly? The organic farmer who gave the lecture on vegetable gardening in my master gardener class didn't mention that. Sorry, Chief, but I don't think that's accurate. The way I understand it, plants that grow slowly aren't getting enough nutrients.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I would welcome further feedback from RPCookin and Sir Loin Of Beef as to whether you used the cheaper ceramic pan or not.
I bought the only ceramic coated pans available at the time, the original Greenpan, and I bought them at Bed Bugs & Beyond, so they were not cheap! At first, only eggs would stick to the damn things, but after a few uses, EVERYTHING stuck! I got so disgusted with them that I tossed them into my recyclables trash can and went out and bought a set of sauté pans at Target that have the ceramic where it belongs, on the outside. The insides were the traditional non-stick coating and I have been using them for three years now and they still release everything I cook in them without an argument.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
They're also natural pesticides and fungicides.

Organic plants grow more slowly? The organic farmer who gave the lecture on vegetable gardening in my master gardener class didn't mention that. Sorry, Chief, but I don't think that's accurate. The way I understand it, plants that grow slowly aren't getting enough nutrients.
I am no master gardener and made that statement based on an article about organic gardening, and the difference in plants grown organically. But it was only one source. I should have done further research on the matter. I may have had a personal bias when reading it, and it said what I wanted to hear. On the other hand, I too have witnessed quick growth using rabbit manure to fortify my garden soil (in combination with rotted horse manure). The plants grew fast and produce wonderfully. I guess my own observations show that my one point was invalid. Thank you for getting me to think a little. I usually try not to post anything inaccurate, but when shooting from the hip, well, I guess I can be gullible, or even flattered into believing something. That's not a good thing.

Seeeeeya; from a humbled Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

As always, I'm impressed with your knowledge and open-mindedness, Chief
Old 02-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #55
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Everything you come in contact with, in this entire world is chemically based, including water, organic foods, metals, rocks, air, etc.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Yes of course but there's a huge difference between naturally occurring chemicals and synthetic chemical residues (e.g. from pesticides) on food. Thankfully we have choice between buying a more natural product or not.

As mentioned earlier, I am not advocating that all farmers go organic. I know full well that this would not work given our current population. I was just trying to say that I prefer organic produce and that seems to be heresy here for some weird reason!

Old 02-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Yes of course but there's a huge difference between naturally occurring chemicals and synthetic chemical residues (e.g. from pesticides) on food.
No, there is not. Chemically, they are *exactly* the same. Naturally occurring chemicals can be pretty darn dangerous, such as poison ivy, foxglove, arsenic and others.

I don't have any hope that you'll actually read these; I'm putting them here for people who are willing to learn.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...oxic-chemicals

http://ipcblog.org/2011/09/06/mother...es-most-toxic/

Also - the dose makes the poison
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe this will show up better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1455667377196.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	24332  
Old 02-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #58
Head Chef

GotGarlic - you are trying to undermine me yet again! Of course I know that some foods contain dubious chemicals/toxins e.g. the green bits on potatoes. Everyone knows that there are poisonous plants too... a no brainer!

You are superbly missing my point I feel. Apples with synthetically chemically sprayed have pesticide residues on the skin. I don't CARE how low the dosage is, given the choice, I prefer to bite into an apple that grows as nature intended. I don't want the taste or the thought of that unwelcome addition thank you. Is it a crime or something to prefer organic produce? Sheesh.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Right. Fruits and vegetables grown without pesticides are so much more appetizing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1455668597145.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	24334  
Old 02-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #60
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sniping stops now or this thread will be closed with apologies to the OP. Back to the topic at hand please, the best cookware.

Tags
health