What are the best healthiest pans and frying pans to use? What do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GotGarlic - you are trying to undermine me yet again! Of course I know that some foods contain dubious chemicals/toxins e.g. the green bits on potatoes. Everyone knows that there are poisonous plants too... a no brainer!

You are superbly missing my point I feel. Apples with synthetically chemically sprayed have pesticide residues on the skin. I don't CARE how low the dosage is, given the choice, I prefer to bite into an apple that grows as nature intended. I don't want the taste or the thought of that unwelcome addition thank you. Is it a crime or something to prefer organic produce? Sheesh.

I lean in your direction. Though pesiticide use is normal in farming, it is not the ideal. Poisonous residues can be found on the surface of many veggies and fruits. USDA regulations dictate what can and can't be done to produce that is to be labeled organic. Typically, organic growers favor natural methods for minimizing ensect-caused crop damage, i.e. letting loose various wasps that eat harmful bugs, creating nesting sites for insect eating birds, Introducing the pests natural enemies in order to control the pests populations. This leaves the crop without residues, though more of the crop is lost.

In a similar vein, there are organizations springing up that sell the produce that isn't perfect looking, you know, the perfectly good food that grocery chains won't accept, and many people won't purchase. This food us usually available at a reduced cost.

Often, corn, and beets are sold as deer bait around my neck of the woods. This is perfectly good food, if you know how to use it, and it's cheap. You can purchase enough beets to last you a year for a small fee, then can them.

I prefer organic foods, but am put off by the price. I also wash my produce before using it to remove chemical residues.

As far as fertilizers go, I don't believe any of them create harmful substances in the food, though over time, they damage the soil.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This thread is way off topic: What are the best healthiest pans and frying pans to use? What do you use?

Please start another thread for your polite discussion of Organic vs ....

I have 2 tri-ply stainless skillets (one 12" All-Clad and one 10" Kitchen Aid), 3 Teflon nonstick skillets (8", 12", and 14" all Bakers and Chefs brand), 2 enameled cast iron dutch ovens, and my seasoned cast iron grill/griddle that swaps places with the middle grate on my range.

I take good care of my nonstick cookware (never overheat and use only plastic or wooden or silicone utensils), and it lasts for a long time. Modern, good quality nonstick coatings don't peel off unless severely mistreated. I'm not concerned in the least about any health issues with any of my cookware.

My wife has one (Orgreenic), and it has never really been nonstick. It's easier to clean than a stainless pan after something like eggs, but it's not even close to working as well as an actual nonstick coating like Teflon.

You're right. One should always consider its impacts on your health. I also advise people to check if the nonstick pan is approved by the FDA or not. Always choose such pans that do not contain harmful chemicals. I found a really good list of grill pans here- https://www.10decors.com/best-grill-pans/. I checked the FDA approval for these and it's safe to use.

Back
Top Bottom