"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What are the best healthiest pans and frying pans to use? What do you use?

I found this article about Healthy frying pans. I try to avoid stuff that says it healthy because I feel like its usually misleading.
There have been objections to a lot of different types of metal used in cooking pans, types of coatings, and other things down through the ages.
There have been objections that acidic foods leach out the iron in cast iron pans.
There have been objections to enamel coated pans as they stick and do not leach iron into the foods. Some said that they leach other chemicals into the foods.
There have been objections to aluminum pans! They leach chemicals into the foods.
There have been objections to ceramic coatings, Teflon coatings, and anything else as it is said they can flake off into the food.
I am sure there were objections to woven baskets and pottery cookware at the beginning of time of cooking!
Now am wondering what are the best healthiest cookware to use? Why?

Old 02-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I make it a practice not to get health information from sites where their primary goal is to sell me something

Full-clad stainless steel is great for cooking. You get the benefit of even heating from the copper and the easy care of the stainless cladding.

Cast iron and enameled cast iron are great for cooking, too. Most people have no problems with getting a little extra iron in their diets. I've been using cast iron for 30 years and I don't notice an off flavor from the iron.

I've never seen anything that says enamel leaches anything into food. Poor quality enameled cookware may chip, but that's different.

It's been proven conclusively that aluminum pans don't cause health problems.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You have been reading a lot of fear-mongering websites. Stop.

Just about all mainstream cookware is safe if properly used. Stainless steel is inert. That is, it won't react with foods. It's also durable. It's a great all-around choice for everyday cooking chores. Look for try-ply SS for even cooking.

Teflon coated pans are the best choice when non-stick is necessary, as with cooking eggs. As long as you don't grossly overheat it, it's as safe as any other.

Properly seasoned cast iron is also a great all purpose pan material. Highly acidic foods should probably be avoided in CI.

For more detailed discussions, check out the Cookware Forum on this site.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Teflon has a long history of being linked to PFOAs - perfluorooctanoic acid...nothing to do with scaremongering or sites that sell products either!

Harmful Teflon Chemical To Be Eliminated by 2015

So these 8 companies are dramatically reducing the exposure to these chemicals over a decade -
whoopee!

The Environmental Protection Agency exists for good reasons.

However, there now appears to be a safe alternative to Teflon, i.e. ceramic non stick pans.

http://whiteonricecouple.com/food/ce...pans-cookware/

Has anyone cooked with these? If so, what is your view of them? I am thinking about buying
such a pan.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Teflon has a long history of being linked to PFOAs - perfluorooctanoic acid...nothing to do with scaremongering or sites that sell products either!

Harmful Teflon Chemical To Be Eliminated by 2015

So these 8 companies are dramatically reducing the exposure to these chemicals over a decade -
whoopee!

The Environmental Protection Agency exists for good reasons.
Correlation does not equal causation.

That article also says, "Scientific studies have not established a link between using products containing trace amounts of PFOA, such as microwave-popcorn bags or nonstick pans, and elevated cancer levels. Hazen [acting assistant administrator of EPA's Office of Prevention, Pesticides and Toxic Substances] said yesterday's announcement should "not indicate any concern . . . for consumers using household products" with such coatings."

Don't overheat the pan and discard it if it starts to deteriorate and shed bits of Teflon. You don't want to eat it (like you don't want to eat cast iron or enamel), but cooking on it is fine.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Correlation does not equal causation.

That article also says, "Scientific studies have not established a link between using products containing trace amounts of PFOA, such as microwave-popcorn bags or nonstick pans, and elevated cancer levels. Hazen [acting assistant administrator of EPA's Office of Prevention, Pesticides and Toxic Substances] said yesterday's announcement should "not indicate any concern . . . for consumers using household products" with such coatings."
....which still means the 'harmful' chemical is there!

Why do you think they are reducing it then?

Companies wouldn't be doing this for no reason.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
....which still means the chemical is there!

Why do you think they are reducing it then?

Companies wouldn't be doing this for no reason.
Companies do things for marketing and PR reasons all the time. They are reacting to the irrational hysteria about Teflon. Like the irrational hysteria about genetically modified products. The continued lack of evidence of harm will never be enough for some people.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Companies do things for marketing and PR reasons all the time. They are reacting to the irrational hysteria about Teflon. Like the irrational hysteria about genetically modified products. The continued lack of evidence of harm will never be enough for some people.
Hysteria? Personally I prefer to cook in cookware that has zero toxic chemicals.

Don't get me started on gm products....brought to you by the company (Monsanto) that helped to make Agent Orange - enjoy!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I forgot to answer the question I use:

- fully clad stainless steel sauté pans, saucepans and skillets
- cast iron skillets
- ceramic, stoneware, glass and metal bakeware (not sure what kind of metal my cake and muffin pans are made of)
- aluminum sheet pans
- sometimes, silicon baking mats on top of the sheet pans
- Teflon skillet for eggs only
Old 02-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Don't get me started on gm products....brought to you by the company (Monsanto) that helped to make Agent Orange - enjoy!
And Bayer, maker of aspirin used by billions of people over the decades, made Zyklon B. What is your point?

Tags
health