What do you use your dutch oven for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I'm excited. I realize it's probably not the best out there for sure. However, I did see a lot of good reviews. From Walmart - I bought a Lodge Color 6 Quart Porcelain Enamal on Cast Iron Dutch Oven. I'm doing a trial roast in it now in preparation for one that I might make for Moms birthday.

What do you like cooking in your cast iron? On top of the stove and/or in the stove.

this says it goes to 400 degress in the stove

I do some of the things others have mentioned, but I also made a potatoe soup and I use it to make a meat sauce for my ravioli and pasta...It is also great outside on the grill, did some pears and brown sugar and walnuts in it...
kadesma

I've cooked quite a variety in mine: pork shoulders, pork loin roasts, braised beef short ribs, various stews, and even chicken noodle soup. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, it has been used for so many recipes and uses.

The braises and stews/soups are cooked on top the stove, and the roasts/pork shoulders have been in the oven.

Gosh, lots of things. Like many others, I use it for soups, stews, chili, braising and roasting. Use it for NYT bread, too.

There are so many things it's good for. Everything everyone else has mentioned and, then, probably many more.

I have an enamelled 5 qt CI DO. Like most folks, I've done soups, stews, chili, pasta sauce, Coq an Vin, Pot roasts, some casseroles. Heck, I even baked a Dump Cake in the thing. It's my go-to pot for just about everything.

I made spare ribs yesterday in mine (9 qt enameled). My parents were over for dinner and my mother doesn't do meat if it doesn't fall off the bone. I just used a simple rub and a mirapoix trivet, a bottle of beer (Stone Cat ESB) for the braising liquid, cooked at 300° for 4 hours, then sauced and finished under the broiler. Not as good to me as smoking them on the grill, but perfect for my 80 something parents. :chef:

Extra weight to keep our house on the ground ;). Haven't used it in quite some time I'm sorry to say. It does a good job w/ recipes made for the pot - we have a cookbook especially for the product & it has several dutch oven recipes, coq au vin comes to mind.

I have a pot roast in the oven right now. Seared a quartered onion, then some baby carrots and finally 3lbs of chuck roast. Took the roast out of the DO and deglazed with a bottle of homebrewed witbier that ended up with extra strong coriander flavor, and 1/2 bottle of porter, then added everything back in with a few cloves of minced garlic, some rosemary and thyme.

When I get home from work I'll boil up some baby potatoes, then flatten and bake them. Boy-o am I hungry!

Last week I did a pork roast,

Yesterday I made bread.

Chicken, lots of chicken. breasts, leg quarters, I think cornish hens are next.

Only time I had any 'problem' was in making something after making beans with lots of cinnamon. Usually takes one use to have the smell go away. It's my own fault, really. I have several DO's, I should designate one for beans like I designated one iron pan for Liver.

hmm I have so many DO's its sort of ridiculous... I use the raw Cast Iron ones for things like making chicken and pork roasts. I like them because you can brown in the same pot as you roast or braise. If I am roasting I usually make a "rack" on the bttom out of root vegetables. Generally the one with the glass lid is for inside the one with the iron lid is for outside.

I use the larger enameled ones for saucier braising especially if using something acidic like tomatoes or sticky is invloved because I dont want to hurt the seasoning.

I have a smaller one (probably 3-4qts) that pretty much sits on my stove and gets used for almost everything except boiling water for pasta. I find it especially useful for heating up dishes that were frozen and are not totally thawed (like a soup or stew) because it works really well with a low even heat so you dont burn part while some is still frozen.

This is one of my favorite things to make in a Dutch oven. I like it better than Beef Burgundy:

CARBONADE FLAMANDE

Don’t let all the simple directions scare you — this delicious stew is easy to make, although it takes about an hour to put together and 2½ hours to cook. Serve it with a hearty red wine and a simple vegetable, such as steamed carrots or broccoli; the bread replaces the potatoes usually served with stews.

3 Large Onions
2 Cloves Garlic
3 Tablespoons Butter, Divided
2 Pounds Boneless Stewing Beef
½ Cup Flour, Divided
Salt & Pepper
½ Pint English Brown Ale (Newcastle, Samuel Smith, Bass, Etc.)
1 Teaspoon Red Wine Vinegar
1 14½-Ounce Can Beef Stock
Water as Needed
2 Teaspoons Brown Sugar
¼ Teaspoon Powdered Thyme
4 Thick Slices of French Bread
Dijon Mustard

1. Peel onions, cut in half from end to end, thinly slice, and set aside.

2. Crush or finely chop garlic and set aside (separate from onions).

3. Cut meat across the grain into strips about 1 inch wide, 3 inches long, ½ inch thick, trimming off fat.

4. Melt 1½ Tablespoons of butter in a large skillet or a heavy, deep, pan with tight-fitting lid; if using a skillet, have a 5 to 6 quart covered casserole dish ready.

5. Add onions to butter and cook over medium heat until browned, about 30 minutes.

6. Add garlic and brown sugar when onions are nearly done, stir and cook for two minutes.

7. Remove the onion mixture from pan, put in bowl and set aside (put in casserole dish if using).

8. Reserve 2 Tablespoons of flour, then put the rest in a plastic bag and add a little salt and pepper; put about a of the beef slices in the bag and shake to coat with flour.

9. Add a of the remaining butter to pan.

10. Add the floured beef slices to pan and brown on all sides, then remove and add to onions; repeat steps 8, 9, and 10 with remaining flour, meat, and butter until all of the meat has been browned.

11. Return all of the onion mixture and browned meat to the pan.

12. Blend in the reserved 2 Tablespoons of seasoned flour and stir well.

13. Add the ale and vinegar and stir.

14. Add the stock and just enough water to barely cover meat and onions and stir.

15. Add 1 Teaspoon of salt, ½ Teaspoon of pepper, and the fresh herbs or powdered thyme, and stir well, scraping up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan and stirring them into the mixture.

16. Cover pan tightly, or transfer meat mixture to casserole dish and cover it tightly; cook in oven, preheated to 300 degrees, for 2½ hours, stirring every 30 minutes.

17. When meat is nearly done, spread mustard liberally on slices of French bread.

18. Remove lid and lay the bread on top of the meat, mustard side down, and cook uncovered until the bread is brown and crisp.

19. Serve with toasted bread on top of meat, mustard side down.

And this is a good, easy version of brisket of beef, very similar to what my Jewish mother-in-law used to make:

FRIDAY NIGHT BEEF BRISKET

1 (4- to 5-pound) brisket
2 (1-ounce) packets onion soup mix
1½ cups Heinz Chili Sauce
6 cloves garlic
1½ pounds carrots

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the meat fat-side up in a large Dutch oven. Sprinkle the onion soup mix over the meat. Cover with the chile sauce and 2 cups of water, or more if needed to almost cover the meat. Crush the garlic cloves and add to the liquid (they will dissolve, so no need to chop).

2. Cover the pan and cook for 4 hours. Check every 30 minutes to be sure there is sufficient liquid in pan. Let the brisket cool for about 45 minutes and refrigerate overnight. Then skim the fat off the meat.

3. About 1½ hours before you wish to serve the brisket, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the brisket to a cutting board and slice it thinly across the grain. Trim, peel and cut the carrots into 1½-by-2-inch sticks. Cook the brisket and carrots covered for 1 hour, until the brisket is heated through and the carrots are fork tender.

(Alternatively, the brisket can be completed the same day: While the brisket is cooling for 45 minutes, trim, peel and cut the carrots into 1½-by-2-inch sticks. Remove the brisket and slice it thinly across the grain. Skim the fat off the top of the liquid, add the sliced brisket back to the pan with the carrots, cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 more hour, or until carrots are fork tender.) Serve on a platter.

This one's a little more complicated but worth the effort if you like lamb.

BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS

1½ pounds dried white Great Northern beans
5 garlic cloves
6 lamb shanks, about 1 pound each
flour seasoned with salt & pepper for dredging
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 large celery stalk, chopped
1 cup canned Italian tomatoes, with liquid, chopped
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
1 cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
½ cup chopped fresh parsley

1. Soak the beans overnight in cold water to cover. Drain the beans, place in a large saucepan, and add enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 1 hour. Drain and set aside. Do not add salt or the beans will be tough.

2. Sliver 2 of the garlic cloves. With a pointed knife, make small incisions in the lamb shanks and insert the garlic. Use more garlic if needed.

3. Pat the shanks dry and dredge them in the seasoned flour. Shake off the excess. Heat the oil in a very large Dutch oven or flameproof casserole over moderately high heat and in it brown the shanks on all sides in batches. Set aside on a plate as done.

4. There should be about 3 tablespoons of oil left in the casserole. Reduce the heat to moderately low and in the oil sauté the onions, carrot, and celery until lightly browned. Add the remaining 3 garlic cloves, minced, for the last minute of cooking.

5. In a large bowl, toss the drained beans, sautéed vegetables, tomatoes and their liquid, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Return the shanks and any accumulated liquid to the casserole and pour the bean mixture over the meat. Add the wine and enough stock to barely cover the beans. Add the bay leaves.

6. Bring the casserole to a simmer on the stove top. Cover and bake in a preheated 325-degree oven until the shanks and beans are tender, about 1½ hours. Check occasionally to be sure there’s enough liquid.

7. Arrange the shanks around the rim of a large heated platter. Remove the bay leaves, stir the parsley into the beans, and mound the beans in the center of the platter.

SERVES 6

And don't forget the pig:

PORK & MUSTARD STROGANOFF

This take on traditional beef stroganoff is a little lighter, but the flavor is boosted with addition of brown mustard. Brands of mustard will vary in intensity, so taste as it is whisked into the sauce.

1 pound pork tenderloin, silverskin removed
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
6 tablespoons dry sherry, Amontillado preferred
1½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 large onion chopped moderately fine
2 teaspoons minced garlic
½ ounce dried porcini rehydrated in hot water to cover
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
¾ pound cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1½ cups beef broth or stock
1½ cups chicken broth or stock
1 bay leaf
1½ teaspoons minced thyme
4 parsley stems
¼ cup brown/whole grain Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons softened butter
1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
12 ounces medium-size egg noodles, cooked
finely chopped parsley (optional garnish)

1. Season tenderloin to taste with salt and pepper. Preheat a Dutch oven to medium-high; add just enough oil to coat skillet bottom, about 1 tablespoon. When oil shimmers and is just short of smoking, add tenderloin. Brown on all sides, waiting to turn meat until it releases from the pan when shaken.

2. Set pork aside to cool, about 15-20 minutes (keep Dutch oven with browned bits - the fond). Cut tenderloin in half lengthwise, then cut each half crosswise into thin slices, about c- to d-inch thick. Combine 2 tablespoons of the sherry and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce in a bowl. Add the meat and turn to coat thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready to cook.

3. In the same Dutch oven over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons oil and chopped onions. Cook until onions turn golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute more until garlic becomes fragrant. Transfer onions and garlic to a bowl and reserve.

4. Meanwhile, swish porcini in the water to remove any grit; remove porcinis and chop moderately fine. Strain soaking water through a coffee filter; reserve porcini water.

5. In the same pan, add the butter and sliced cremini mushrooms. Season to taste and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have released their moisture and are almost half their original size, about 4-5 minutes. Deglaze with the rest of the sherry and cook briefly until liquid is reduced by about half.

6. Add porcini, reserved onions and garlic, reserved porcini water, beef and chicken broths, bay leaf, thyme and parsley stems. Simmer uncovered, about 20-25 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by one-third. Remove and discard bay leaf and parsley stems. The recipe can be prepared ahead to this point; reheat before proceeding.

7. Whisk in mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, the remaining soy sauce and sour cream. Simmer for a few minutes to meld flavors.

8. Meanwhile, combine the butter and flour in a small bowl. Whisk
butter-flour mixture into the simmering liquid. Taste and adjust seasoning.

9. Add pork and cook until cooked through, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

10. Taste and adjust seasoning once more before serving immediately over hot, buttered egg noodles. Garnish with parsley if desired.

Haven't seen this one yet...

Country style Pork Ribs for about 2 people

2 large country style pork ribs, bone in or boneless, your choice.
1 C white rice
about 1/2 large onion chopped fine
mushrooms, chopped - 3 or 4
fresh pineapple is best - in tidbit size - but a small can of tidbits works too drained but retain the juice
1 can (I know this is a big sin but sometimes I get lazy) Cream of Mushroom soup
about 1/4 C wine
chicken broth
flour
salt & pepper

This is what I do:

Heat about 2T oil in the pot on the stove-top; dredge the seasoned chops in flour and brown on all sides, remove to a plate.

To the pot add the onions and mushrooms - add a bit more oil if needed and saute until softened. Deglaze the pot with the wine then add the pineapple and rice.

Combine the soup, pineapple juice and broth until you have 2 1/2 C liquid. Stir the liquid into the rice and bring just to a boil then add the chops. Cover and pop into a 350 degree oven for about an hour.

Yummy and a 1 pot dinner!

Scotch, those are good suggestions - I'm considering breaking out the DO to try one of those recipes :chef:

I'm also thinking of breaking out the Balvenie 15 because your moniker is like a subliminal message ;):cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom