What frying pans to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, cast iron can be too heavy to lift comfortably. :rolleyes:

Yes, but...one of my best pans, my fave omelet pan, is an old cast iron Wagner 9" Chef's Skillet, lighter than its forerunner, Wagner Griswold 9" Chef's Skillet. Perfect size and shape for omelets, and light enough to flip fried eggs with a snap of the wrist. They made one like it in 10", but those are hard to find and pricey if the seller knows what he has.

Im in the same boat.
i bougt a set of Paderno stainless steel with life time guarantee from Hudson Bay in Toronto circa 1979.
Lost the receipt....
They were great, the fry pan got warped when ignored on a lpg stove around 2000 and lids have become distorted, big pot, noterfectly flat.

We have just rebuilt our home kitchen and now have a ceramic stove top top which is perfectly flat so weve decided to get new pots and pans.
Whats the most popular in the USA?
Cuisine Art? Are there different grade Cuisine Art?
They are imported here so considering.
Any iinfo appreciated.

I don't think you need non-stick for eggs. We have a couple of cast iron pans that are only, ever, used for eggs. They haven't been washed or re-seasoned in years. They get brushed and wiped.

I don't think you need non-stick for eggs. We have a couple of cast iron pans that are only, ever, used for eggs. They haven't been washed or re-seasoned in years. They get brushed and wiped.

I used to fry eggs in a non-stick pan, but didn't like the brownish undercoating I noticed after cooking them. I like how eggs cook up in a cast iron pan with a bit of bacon grease or shortening. yum.

I reckon I am old and set in my ways. I prefer cast iron. I do have some carbon steel and SS. Harry makes a good point about aluminum pans, though we don't have any these days. I am convinced that those nonstick pans are just fine if you don't use 'em. Bought a passel of 'em over the years. ALL of them turned out to be useless in the long run, although, the heavier ones do make good door stops. Mrs Hoot likes to cook eggs in the one non-stick pan we currently own. But at the first sign of weakness, out it goes.

I too have a CI skillet that is eggs only. It is one of those 5" ones. I have reseasoned it--the DH doesn't handle CI the way I do. Until he started eating eggs and using it (right about the same time I became a chicken keeper--funny how those two things coincide), is when I had to get protective of my CI egg skillet. My advice when buying pans--buy the best quality you can afford. If you are not sure about the pans and you can get any of the pans in the set open stock, buy one in a size you'd use often, say a DO, and use it for awhile before committing to a whole set. Pans can be an expensive experiment. I know if I had to replace my LeCreuset pans (I have more than those that came with the set), I'd be looking at over $1500 to get all the ones I currently have (at regular price).

Last edited:
I use a 10" or 12" CI skillet to cook breakfast. Potatoes and sausages got in the skillet, get cooked and removed to a plate. Add a couple of eggs to the same skillet and cook 'til done. They slide right into the plate.

I see no reason to dedicate a CI skillet to eggs only status.

I use a 10" or 12" CI skillet to cook breakfast. Potatoes and sausages got in the skillet, get cooked and removed to a plate. Add a couple of eggs to the same skillet and cook 'til done. They slide right into the plate.

I see no reason to dedicate a CI skillet to eggs only status.
We find that if we fry bacon on the CI egg skillet, it needs to be cleaned with salt. A simple wipe of any leftover bits isn't sufficient.

We find that if we fry bacon on the CI egg skillet, it needs to be cleaned with salt. A simple wipe of any leftover bits isn't sufficient.

I wet a paper towel, fold it into fourths and toss it on. The heat with the water steam up any bits that were left behind.

Start the skillet with a little fat and use a lower heat.
Okay, that's another reason I'll keep that skillet just for eggs. I already cook the eggs low and slow, with a lid. I like my bacon crispy, it would take forever at low heat.

It's good to know if I ever have to use the same pan for eggs and for bacon. But, I have enough different pans that I can pick the one I like best for a job. I usually do bacon on ungreased stainless steel.

Okay, that's another reason I'll keep that skillet just for eggs. I already cook the eggs low and slow, with a lid. I like my bacon crispy, it would take forever at low heat...

I didn't say low heat, I said lower heat. When I finish cooking the sausage and potato, the skillet is too hot for eggs so I turn off the burner and cook the eggs with residual heat. I cover the skillet so the topside of the eggs cooks. But that's just me.

i can only speak from experience.the hard anodised aluminium pans i have were bought about 8 years ago.not a "posh" brand(couldn't afford it,rebuilding after divorce)not even kirkland.they were tesco own brand.they are mid weight between aluminium & s/steel.they have been dropped,used in the oven,on the hob & even on the barbecue.i use metal utensils sometimes & whereas they are not as good as new,they are damn near & still so non stick that i don't always have to use oil when frying.i have solid iron electric hob plates so it is easy to tell if a pan has warped & these are still 100% flat & true.

you cannot beat the price - quality that Sam's club offers on their "commercial" line. They are on the par with better non-stick pans, and also their plain aluminum pans are also exelent.
I have number of pans I bought from them and I am extremely happy.

Back
Top Bottom