"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What frying pans to buy

Me and fiance finally bought a house and we're movinh put in a year once the new sub division finishes building.
We're gathering new cookware in the meantime and I already got myself Debuyer Mineral frying pans 10" and 12".

But i remember reading that some stuff strips coating from them, like tomato paste or vine and I wanted to buy a fry pan that could work.
I did my research on fry pans for meat but with these I'm a bit lost, too many companies and products out there.

Anyone could point out some quality fry pans for all kinds of jobs ?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

cast iron, if seasoned properly and kept that way, or fully clad (or mostly, depending on budget) stainless steel are my choices for almost all pots and pans.

still, buy a couple of cheap, non-stick small frying pans for eggs and delicate things, but you should be willing to toss and replace those when damaged.

spend your bigger bucks on the aforementioned.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Those DeBuyer carbon steel pans should be almost all the fry pans/sautes you'll need. Just season like cast iron, re-season as needed. If you want something for wet stuff, I would suggest an AllClad fryer or saute. I got rid of most of my shallow stainless steel, but kept an AllClad 10" saute for poaching eggs. The vinegar added to the water and heated can pit carbon steel over time.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
Executive Chef

i'd go for hard anodised aluminium.non stick inside & out so easy to clean,oven safe & virtually indestructible.the costco set is fantastic value @ 120 over here.

Costco - Kirkland Signature
Old 07-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

My vote is cast iron. I've had mine for a zillion years (I am that old) and still love them. If you take care of them properly, they will last your lifetime and then some. At the cabin, we still use the CI pans my grandmother had...she died in 1970.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
cast iron, if seasoned properly and kept that way, or fully clad (or mostly, depending on budget) stainless steel are my choices for almost all pots and pans.

still, buy a couple of cheap, non-stick small frying pans for eggs and delicate things, but you should be willing to toss and replace those when damaged.

spend your bigger bucks on the aforementioned.
don't listen to him,he told me to put my griddle pan on the phone to my ex wife(long story)it couldn't get a word in edgeways,i now have a huge phone bill & the pan is in therapy.....cheers mate!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyopl View Post
Me and fiance finally bought a house and we're movinh put in a year once the new sub division finishes building.
We're gathering new cookware in the meantime and I already got myself Debuyer Mineral frying pans 10" and 12".

But i remember reading that some stuff strips coating from them, like tomato paste or vine and I wanted to buy a fry pan that could work.
I did my research on fry pans for meat but with these I'm a bit lost, too many companies and products out there.

Anyone could point out some quality fry pans for all kinds of jobs ?
Tri-ply stainless is good when acidic food content is a concern. In fact, wine, vinegar and tomatoes help remove stains and starch residue from stainless steel cooking surfaces.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Executive Chef

yes we all have different ideas; isn't it fun!

THe carbon steel pans you have are excellent and as good as any cast iron out there.
You should get a couple "restaurant store non stick pans" Lincoln ware, Volrath, Wearever...they last a good long time and are not $$.

If you want a stainless finish for non reactivity, get AllCLad MC2 (it is their least fancy least expensive line) which will last a lifetime. Cookware and more is an on line Allclad outlet of "seconds". great prices.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
Sous Chef

If I'm frying a steak, I use my cast iron skillet that we got for a wedding present 55 years ago. If I'm sauteing the mushrooms to put on stop of the steaks, I used my restaurant supply store, non-stick frying pan.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
If I'm frying a steak, I use my cast iron skillet that we got for a wedding present 55 years ago. If I'm sauteing the mushrooms to put on stop of the steaks, I used my restaurant supply store, non-stick frying pan.
Is a non-stick pan required for sauteing mushrooms?