What frying pans to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toyopl

Assistant Cook
Me and fiance finally bought a house and we're movinh put in a year once the new sub division finishes building.
We're gathering new cookware in the meantime and I already got myself Debuyer Mineral frying pans 10" and 12".

But i remember reading that some stuff strips coating from them, like tomato paste or vine and I wanted to buy a fry pan that could work.
I did my research on fry pans for meat but with these I'm a bit lost, too many companies and products out there.

Anyone could point out some quality fry pans for all kinds of jobs ?

cast iron, if seasoned properly and kept that way, or fully clad (or mostly, depending on budget) stainless steel are my choices for almost all pots and pans.

still, buy a couple of cheap, non-stick small frying pans for eggs and delicate things, but you should be willing to toss and replace those when damaged.

spend your bigger bucks on the aforementioned.

Those DeBuyer carbon steel pans should be almost all the fry pans/sautes you'll need. Just season like cast iron, re-season as needed. If you want something for wet stuff, I would suggest an AllClad fryer or saute. I got rid of most of my shallow stainless steel, but kept an AllClad 10" saute for poaching eggs. The vinegar added to the water and heated can pit carbon steel over time.

My vote is cast iron. I've had mine for a zillion years (I am that old) and still love them. If you take care of them properly, they will last your lifetime and then some. At the cabin, we still use the CI pans my grandmother had...she died in 1970.

cast iron, if seasoned properly and kept that way, or fully clad (or mostly, depending on budget) stainless steel are my choices for almost all pots and pans.

still, buy a couple of cheap, non-stick small frying pans for eggs and delicate things, but you should be willing to toss and replace those when damaged.

spend your bigger bucks on the aforementioned.
don't listen to him,he told me to put my griddle pan on the phone to my ex wife(long story)it couldn't get a word in edgeways,i now have a huge phone bill & the pan is in therapy.....cheers mate:wacko::LOL:!

Me and fiance finally bought a house and we're movinh put in a year once the new sub division finishes building.
We're gathering new cookware in the meantime and I already got myself Debuyer Mineral frying pans 10" and 12".

But i remember reading that some stuff strips coating from them, like tomato paste or vine and I wanted to buy a fry pan that could work.
I did my research on fry pans for meat but with these I'm a bit lost, too many companies and products out there.

Anyone could point out some quality fry pans for all kinds of jobs ?
Tri-ply stainless is good when acidic food content is a concern. In fact, wine, vinegar and tomatoes help remove stains and starch residue from stainless steel cooking surfaces.

yes we all have different ideas; isn't it fun!

THe carbon steel pans you have are excellent and as good as any cast iron out there.
You should get a couple "restaurant store non stick pans" Lincoln ware, Volrath, Wearever...they last a good long time and are not $$.

If you want a stainless finish for non reactivity, get AllCLad MC2 (it is their least fancy least expensive line) which will last a lifetime. Cookware and more is an on line Allclad outlet of "seconds". great prices.

If I'm frying a steak, I use my cast iron skillet that we got for a wedding present 55 years ago. If I'm sauteing the mushrooms to put on stop of the steaks, I used my restaurant supply store, non-stick frying pan.

So basically a Non-stick pan for acidic foods ?
What are good non-sticks than ?

You will find over time you need a variety of sizes and types of pans.
I have some cheap non-stick that gets replaced every couple of years.
I have some Allclad and Emerilware (made by Allclad). I have some anodized. They all have their place in my kitchen. I also have 4-5'' non-stick just for fying 2 eggs. I tried cast iron and it wasn't for me. Copper is pretty but not for me either. I think a really good start would be the Emerilware by Allclad. I find it just as good as my Allclad and alot cheaper.

Yeah, cast iron can be too heavy to lift comfortably. :rolleyes:

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I would have to agree, 4me might challenge you! LOL!

I have the 10" Debuyer skillet and saute pans, they are the perfect size for us. A Wearever 6 inch non-stick for eggs and various sauce pans, both SS and non-stick anodized for soups, hot cereal, etc. My pressure cooker 8 Qt SS doubles as a stock pot, it is a Fagor.

My problem with cast iron was i want use to soap and water to clean it everytime. I know it is just me but I just had too.
Use a nylon scrubbing pad and plain warm water, no soap. Or don't complain if the food sticks.

I think the OP should experiment with a few different kinds of pans before deciding. Buy them from Bed, Bath & Beyond or other merchant that allows full refund 30 day satisfaction offer. Take them back and get a refund if you don't like them. Buy a few competing pans and take back all but the one you like best.

I doubt there is any one pan or type of pan technology that will please everybody.

My problem with cast iron was i want use to soap and water to clean it everytime. I know it is just me but I just had too.

I took me two weeks to convince Shrek not to put my Debuyers in the sink with soapy water. The third time I had to scrub and reseason was enough. He wasn't crazy about the smell of the hot oil that would hang around forever. I told him I wouldn't have to do it if he wouldn't use soap on the pans:rolleyes:

They are beautifully seasoned now.

Cast iron or stoneware is good. A nice non-stick pan is a must have in my kitchen. Thick and heavy are great for commercial kitchens, not so necessary for home use.

I have Le Creuset pans--both "black" finish and enamel, as well as CI skillets. I also have SS skillets and one "non-stick" finish pan that I use only for walleye. I got my Le Creuset when I was in my 20s, didn't think about the weight then. I've had my CI skillets forever. I hate my mother's pans, which are non-stick finish pans.

Back
Top Bottom