What is a hard-anodized skillet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easton

Cook
I just bought one at Bed Bath Beyond since it was the only skillet with in my price range. How does it compare to stainless steel and regular non-stick pans?

You have an aluminum skillet that has had the surface treated to create a coating that is non-reactive and harder than plain aluminum.

A good hard anodized skillet should give you years of good service. It should heat up quickly and evenly thanks to the aluminum.

Since I work in an aerospace shop I will give you a few details about how its done.

The aluminum is cleaned with an acid then dipped in another chemical solution. While in that secondary solution it is charged with electricity. The reaction causes the aluminum to corrode quickly creating the hard coat of aluminum oxide. It is very durable though not entirely resistant to scratches, it should be just fine.

Is this coating safer than Teflon? Do I have to be worry about heating the pan for too long as I would with a Teflon pan to avoid poisoning?

I don't know if this is how they're supposed to be, or maybe it's an indication of high quality, but my anodized skillet is pretty heavy.

Also, while I haven't checked to see the time it takes for it to heat up, I have noticed that once I place the food on the skillet there isn't any instant sizzling. It takes a couple more minutes than an SS skillet before it actually starts sizzling.

It is completely different from Teflon. It is not non-stick. It is completely safe to use. Teflon is safe too as long as you do not get it too hot for too long, but using for normal cooking use (with food in the pan) this will not happen.

Yes the weight is an indication of quality to a degree. The heavier the pan the better it usually is (to a point). More mass means better heat distribution which means more even cooking and less possibility of hot spots where food will burn. You will notice as you did that it will take longer to heat up, but at the same time it will hold onto that heat better so once it does heat up it will not cool down as fast when you add food. This is a good thing.

Is this coating safer than Teflon? Do I have to be worry about heating the pan for too long as I would with a Teflon pan to avoid poisoning?

Hi Easton,

Your hard anodized skillet might also have a nonstick coating. (Teflon is a brand of nonstick coating.) If the cooking surface of the pan feels similar to the outside surface (hard and metallic), then it is an anodized surface, which will be very durable and heat resistant. If the cooking surface feels different (slippery and plasticy) than the outside of the pan then it probably has a nonstick Teflon or similar coating applied. You could also check the packaging or manufacturer's website. If the word nonstick is features prominently then it is most likely a coating.

Also this is a subtle point, but anodizing is not a coating, it is a surface treatment. This will not be a perfect analogy, but consider Teflon like breading on a cutlet. It is a stuck on layer and can flake off. Think of anodizing like browning meat. The surface of the browned meat has been changed, but it is still the same piece of meat. Browning uses heat; anodizing uses an electrochemical reaction to make the surface of the metal hard and scratch resistant.

This will not be a perfect analogy, but consider Teflon like breading on a cutlet. It is a stuck on layer and can flake off. Think of anodizing like browning meat. The surface of the browned meat has been changed, but it is still the same piece of meat. Browning uses heat; anodizing uses an electrochemical reaction to make the surface of the metal hard and scratch resistant.
Actually I think that is a pretty good analogy.
Welcome to the site.

Wow, this is a friendly place.

Actually I think that is a pretty good analogy.
Welcome to the site.

i agree!! perfect analogy!! and welcome from me also

Thanks to both of you for your kind and welcoming comments.

To get really silly with the analogy, multi-layer PTFE coatings are like multi-layer breading. The flour sticks to the meat, the egg sticks to the flour and the bread crumbs stick to the egg, resulting in a better coating than you could get with one layer, like the way Teflon sticks to the pan, but the food does not stick to the Teflon.

I hope you would find my cooking to be equally as enjoyable as my analogies.

:) Bruce

Wow, this is a friendly place.

Thanks to both of you for your kind and welcoming comments.

To get really silly with the analogy, multi-layer PTFE coatings are like multi-layer breading. The flour sticks to the meat, the egg sticks to the flour and the bread crumbs stick to the egg, resulting in a better coating than you could get with one layer, like the way Teflon sticks to the pan, but the food does not stick to the Teflon.

I hope you would find my cooking to be equally as enjoyable as my analogies.

:) Bruce
you're welcome. i am looking forward to reading you and looking at pics of your dishes.

btw i bought 1 large and 1 small non-stick Green Pan With Thermalon - A Safer Cookware Alternative. which are safe at high temps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom