What is best to roast vegetables in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you're adventuresome do try some roasted eggplant that has been peeled and sliced---delicious with a medley of veggies. If they're the baby eggplant you don't have to slice them at all unless you want to.

I would automatically reach for a cast iron skillet. I don't have any enameled cast iron skillets, or I would reach for that.

Yes, if you pack the veggies deep, the ones on bottom will steam in stead of roast. I've found a good cure for that. I'll use a 15" SS saute pan at work, ladle in some clarified butter, the veggies, and heat on the stovetop until I hear it sizzle. Then the whole thing goes into the salamander over the stove (high-heat capacity broiler, gotta love it!), and I set a timer for 5 minutes. After the timer goes off, I take it out, shake and toss the pan to distribute and mix up the veggies, then back in for another round of 5 minutes. Continue in this fashion until the veggies are ALMOST done (usually 20 minutes). Add in some julienned shallots, minced garlic, salt, pepper, fresh rosemary and fresh thyme (Herb de Provence mix would be good as well), toss, and finish in the salamander. YUMMY!

Diane - if I understand that what you are wanting to do is simply roast veggies in the overn ... it doesn't matter! Cut your veggies - toss in a bowl, drizzle with oil, add S&P and herbs as you wish, toss with your hands to coat well - pour out onto a baking sheet/pan in a single layer (lined with something or not is your choice) - and stick it in oven to "roast".

The only difference between roasting and baking in this instance is that the veggies are coated with oil - that makes it officially roasting, without the oil it would be baking. The oil promotes browning that you would not get without the oil. It's a Maillard Browning Reaction that creates flavors that would not otherwise be available.

I've used 9x13x2 inch roasting pans (metal and Corningware) - and just plain old aluminum sheet pans (these are what I use) - no big difference.

Lining the pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil will only make a difference in cleanup - it does not affect cooking.

I prep my veggies for roasting by trimming them to size and tossing all of them into a ziplok baggie. Then, into the bag I pour olive oil, salt and pepper, and whatever other seasoning I want to use. I zip up the bag and mix it all up really well. Its a good idea to let the bag sit for a couple of hours so the flavors really blend.

Then I heat the oven to 425 convect roast, and pour the mixture onto an oiled half-sheet pan and roast in the heated oven for 20 minutes. (less if its asparagus).

When the veggies are done and in the serving dish, I let the pan cool then give it a short soak in soapy water so there are no brown bits stuck when it goes into the dishwasher.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :chef:

Diane - if I understand that what you are wanting to do is simply roast veggies in the overn ... it doesn't matter! Cut your veggies - toss in a bowl, drizzle with oil, add S&P and herbs as you wish, toss with your hands to coat well - pour out onto a baking sheet/pan in a single layer (lined with something or not is your choice) - and stick it in oven to "roast".

The only difference between roasting and baking in this instance is that the veggies are coated with oil - that makes it officially roasting, without the oil it would be baking. The oil promotes browning that you would not get without the oil. It's a Maillard Browning Reaction that creates flavors that would not otherwise be available.

I've used 9x13x2 inch roasting pans (metal and Corningware) - and just plain old aluminum sheet pans (these are what I use) - no big difference.

Lining the pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil will only make a difference in cleanup - it does not affect cooking.

Michael,

I went to the Wikipedia site and read about the Maillard reaction. Very interesting. I love learning new things. Thanks for posting!

Diane

Back
Top Bottom