What is it for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

don5

Assistant Cook
I found a nearly flat pan(very shallow dish) ; 10 inches dia; no lip; grey metal; wood handle. What is it called and what is it for?
thanks!

I was not able to upload the pics. The pan is about 1/8 inch thick. No writing or numbers. I wonder if its for Mexican or indian flat bread.

Sounds like a crepe pan to me, too, from the size and description.

But, just because it is a crepe pan doesn't mean it can't be used for other things like as a griddle to make flat breads - like tortillas, lavash, lefse, etc.

Katie E said:
It could be either a crepe pan or a griddle of some type. I was also thinking it could be some sort of flame tamer. Would love to see a picture, though.

Don, thanks for emailing me the pictures. After looking at them it looks as though you might have a crepe pan. Is the inside concave? If it is, I would say it is definitely a crepe pan. If the inside is flat, it could be a type of flame tamer.

This is one of those cases where a picture is worth a thousand words ... and even more speculations.

Don or Katie ... if one of you will email me the pics I'll post them here.

For those who were waiting to see Don's pan - here are the 2 pics he had (thanks to Katie E. for forwarding them to me):

This one shows it from the top:

img_417311_0_42c08e7d792f1eda6a6e4b670140f33f.jpg

And this one shows a side view:

img_417311_1_5bbec0e428f58b63bb338e6063c21b91.jpg

Given the shape, the color of the metal of the pan, and the color where the handle was fused/welded to the base of the pan ... all I can guess, like most of us from the original description, is: it's a steel crepe pan.

Last edited:
I think it is a Chinese "crepe" maker. Like for scallion pancakes or such. Definitely of Asian origin--and use, I would think.

Moo shu goodness! A chinese restaurant up the road from me has one of these hanging in his pot rack, I kinda freaked out the owner with my eagernes asking him about it.

Back
Top Bottom