"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Head Chef

Pressure canners are large--they hold at least 4 quart jars. Pressure canning recipes are tested using large canners--small cookers won't take as long to reach pressure, and won't take as long to cool down, and that time is important for safe canning.

Pressure canners also have either a gauge or dial that lets you know exactly what pressure you are using--some things are canned at 5, 10, or 15 pounds. I think a lot of small cookers only have one or two settings.

A big canner can be used as a cooker--I make stock in mine all the time. And then I can it!!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
Master Chef

7 minute Saffron Mushroom Risotto

Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
Master Chef

I don't think my mother ever bought a new pressure cooker. Hmmm. Now that I'm typing, it occurs to me she might like a new, modern one (I can never think of what to get her for presents). The main thing she always looked for was the rubber gasket. If it was dry and she didn't think some mineral oil would do it, she'd note the brand and order a new one. The seal needs to be complete. She'd also inspect the rocker. I don't think the newer models are built the same. But I honestly don't think Mom ever bought a new pressure cooker. She uses hers at least weekly.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I have an electric pressure cooker. I like it, even though I don't use it that much.
The electric ones are nice because they multi-task. Most of them now you can also use as a slow cooker (with a different lid). And they can turn themselves off. My most used setting is "stew", which starts a timer for twenty minutes after it comes up to pressure, then turns itself off and goes into a warming feature. That seems to work well for most of the items I've cooked, including whole chickens.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I have an electric pressure cooker. I like it, even though I don't use it that much.
The electric ones are nice because they multi-task. Most of them now you can also use as a slow cooker (with a different lid). And they can turn themselves off. My most used setting is "stew", which starts a timer for twenty minutes after it comes up to pressure, then turns itself off and goes into a warming feature. That seems to work well for most of the items I've cooked, including whole chickens.
Fred, what brand/model do you own? Sounds like something we might be interested in.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I have one of the QVC, models, Katie. I know they don't make the smaller size that I have anymore, but you would probably want something bigger anyway. Along with coming with another lid and the slow cooker feature, you can also brown in it, much like starting a dish out in a stove top model. I don't think there were that many electric ones out at the time I got mine, but there are many models available from the big manufacturers now.