What size Le Creuset?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chelledomino

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I am thinking about getting a Le Creuset enamel cast iron pot and I'm not sure what size to get. I am thinking either the 5.5 quart or the 7.5 quart. Does anyone own these sizes and which do you use more often? I have a husband and three kids and cook pretty often. Thanks in advance for any help!

Rachelle

I have both and use both. For a big pan of short ribs or lamb shanks, the 7 qt. is what is needed. For a pot roast, cassoulet, the 5.5 qt.

I have a couple of LCs. I have a 7qt Innova oven that costs $50--bright canary yellow and cooks just as well as any other.
Lodge enamel cast iron is on sale right now on Amazon for A-mazing prices--$60.
I bought Mario's round 6 qt. for our 3 children for Christmas for $69 on sale at Amazon.
The other decision is shape--round or oval. All mine are oval. The round ones are just the right shape to make risotto.
I do have 4.5qt. LC "soup pot"--it has a rounded bottom so is really more for stews, etc. rather than roasting, although anything is possible.
Shop at Tuesday Morning, TJMaxx and Marshall's for occasional good buys on enamel cast iron. May not all be LC.

I have both and also a 9 quart and I would definitely recommend the 7 quart.

I cook for 2 plus leftovers and use it by far the most of pretty much anything in my kitchen.

The 5.5 can do a small pot roast but isn't good if you like lots of potatoes and carrots, etc. Or if you want to cook for a crowd or make lots of leftovers for the freezer.

IMO you can't go wrong with a larger one whereas you will for sure find that you can't cook some things in the smaller one.

Like Gretchen says -- look for sales. Also there are LC outlets that sell cosmetic seconds and outdated colors at huge discounts.

I got my 5.5 at an outlet for about $130. I had my mind set on it, we aren't ordinarily near an outlet, and I had a dinner planned for the Colorado mountains to cook in it!! That said, I don't really think it was a particularly good buy.
I had borrowed a 7 qt. once for a cassoulet dinner and it was too large--5 was just right.
I don't really find the 5 too small for pot roasts, etc. I do 3-4# ones pretty regularly.
But a 9 would not be at all a necessity for me, even when cooking for my kids.

Another place to look for good prices on LC is caplanduval.com . Even with shipping they have excellent prices.

I said this on another board about LC. I cook. An LC is a pot and it cooks well. So does Innova, Mario's, Lodge, etc. I also like the looks on the table. The Innova is a bright canary yellow as I said and cute as a button--1/4 the price. I can have several if I don't get hung up on the name.
Another line that is on sale right now is Daniel Boloud's.
Amazon has free shipping and often a $25 discount if you spend $125.
Overstock.com is having a $1 shipping right now. Don't know their LC prices.
Watch Amazon on Friday in particular--and in the Outlet.

Thanks for the replies!

Gretchen,
Do you find the other brands cook just as well? I am not a brand snob, I just heard so many great things about the LC. I would be willing to try something else for less $$. I tried to get a LC last week at Tuesday Morning but they had sold out by the time I got there. I do shop Amazon and Overstock, I will check out their prices too.
Thanks again!!

Like Gretchen, I, too, have both and use them often. I opted to get the oval ones because if I wanted to cook something like a large chicken or ham, they would fit easily. I knew for sure they wouldn't work in a round pan and that "round" stuff would be easily accommodated in an oval pan.

Love my LC and just made a wonderful oxtail soup in the smaller one for the two of us. The thing I particularly like about LC is that the lids fit so nice and tightly, which keeps the moisture inside so perfectly.

I've bought both my pieces at caplanduval.com. Got a great price and the customer service is first rate.

Wow! I checked out the Mario Batali 6 quart pot on Amazon, it had great reviews. I wonder how often it goes on sale.

That is where I got mine--Friday sale. Hasn't come back but you never know.

If you're going to buy your first LeC, I'd go for the 7-quart. It's more versatile. If you decide to buy more than one, a smaller size may be a good choice. After using one for a while, you'll develop a better idea of which size is best for you.

I bought my 7-quart from a LeC outlet store for $129.

Back
Top Bottom