What sort of baking tray should I purchase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radhika

Assistant Cook
I have bought a new microwave oven with convection. I would like to try out some cake recipes. For .this what sort of baking tray should I purchase. What material is the best? please clarify

Hi Radhika, welcome to the forum. I am also originally from India so it's good to see a fellow Indian here.

To answer your question:

It's best to use an aluminum baking sheet that is heavy guage (15 or 16 guage aluminum). In India you normally get good quality aluminum so check to ensure it's heavy.

This will ensure that the cookies, or whatever you use it for, cooks evenly. The temperature distribution in heavy pans is better than their thin more flimsy counterparts.

I also don't use any non-stick sheets to do my baking. I prefer instead to buy a silicone sheet (also known as silpat, exopat etc.) to line my aluminum baking sheet. This ensures that my cookies don't stick and brown evenly.

Should be O.K. I read it as microwave and convection oven and I have seen many of these here and they use aluminum sheets without an issue.

Most of these appliances (combo microwave/convection) have two modes. A microwave mode of cooking and a convection mode of cooking. In a convection mode you can use metal, she asked about baking a cake and you would not bake using a microwave mode.

In anycase I have personally seen many such appliance combos here in the US and my sister in law owns one and uses metal in convection mode to bake pizza and other stuff and there is no issues.

Look at the appliance manual to ensure and if you have the convection mode and metal is allowed the best to use is heavy guage aluminum.

Some models will allow metal pans.Check the owners manual and see what they recommend for yours.

This is the one I have.Microwave/grill/convection oven.

Daewoo Electronics

Fancy defroster..I don't use it to bake anything..

Munky.

Some models will allow metal pans.Check the owners manual and see what they recommend for yours.

This is the one I have.Microwave/grill/convection oven.

Daewoo Electronics

Fancy defroster..I don't use it to bake anything..

Munky.
But even the manual for your oven, which is available on line at the link you provided, says the following:

Microwave function only
Utensils and cooking containers used in a microwave oven
should be of a material that does not act as a barrier to
microwave energy. Generally this means that you should cook
in either (paper), plastic, glass or ceramic. Metal pans reflect
microwave energy and inhibit cooking, and should not be
used....Metal containers, e.g. saucepans or frying pans should not
be used in microwave ovens. Nor should plates or vessels
with decorations be used since metal e.g. gold, might be part
of the decoration and such decorations will be damaged.

Small pieces of aluminiuum foil can be
used, but only to shield the areas that
would over-cook (e.g. for covering
chicken wings, leg tips and fish tails) but
the foil must not touch the side of the
oven as damage may occur.

It does say you can use metal baking tins (but not metal pots or pans) in the combination mode, but includes the following warning: "Metal tins can be used in the combination methods, however
if these are very deep, they will greatly reduce the efficiency,
as metal shields the microwave energy from the food."

Finally, it includes the following warning:

ARCING
If you see arcing, press STOP/CLEAR button and correct the problem.
Arcing is the microwave term for sparks in the oven. Arcing is caused by:
• Metal or foil touching the side of the oven.
• Foil not molded to food (upturned edges act like antennas).
• Metal, such as twist-ties, poultry pins, or gold rimmed dishes, in the microwave.
• Recycled paper towels containing small metal pieces being used in the microwave.

When you are using the convection mode you cook

just like in a regular oven. The manual states that microwaves are not used so you would be able to use metal cookware. If you use the combination mode then you would want to follow microwave cooking rules since both heat and microwaves are used.

Scotch,
Thank you for getting that information here.My comp wouldn't open that PDF file..

Did I say something wrong?

Munky.

Although metal pans are a big no-no in microwave ovens, I have yet to see a combination oven that does not allow the use of metal when using the convection application. It is also true that each brand has different instructions.

It seems sad that someone would complicate things for the OP without knowing what brand the oven in question is. We are all here to share info, but shouldn't we try to make sure we have the info the OP is looking for before we jump in?

Just a thought.

To be on a safe side i would not use metal no matter what. What if you forget to change the settings and here goes a big bam. Neah, use ove safe glass to be on a safe side.

Back
Top Bottom