What would be your minimum cookware compliment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMJ

Senior Cook
Just pondering here, as I'll be in the market not TOO far in the future to round out the cookware collection I've put together so far, when I won't be able to bum pots and pans off family/roommates. :-p

So far I've got a 4 quart and 8 quart (QVC Stainless 500), a full set of cast iron skillets that I don't use near enough, and a pasta pot of about 6 quarts (gift). Beyond that, I'm not really sure what I ought to have on hand at all times.

EDIT: Idiot that I is, I forgot all about my wok. A Typhoon 14", it was once nonstick, but thanks to the high carbon content and frequent use, is now even less stick than before!

Now it's gonna be mad at me for forgetting about it, though.

Last edited:
Don't plan ahead on what you need. What you cook and for how many will determine what you need for cookware.

I know that's a non-answer. What I'm trying to say is take it slow and buy as you go, getting just what you need to fill the most significant gap in your collection.

a 10 " omlette, a 12" braiser that replaces a large skillet,a two quart wide saucepan, an 8 quart pot and a 10 " cast iron skillet should cover most basic cooking tasks.:chef:

The Minimalist Kitchen : Alton Brown's Essential Gear For Guys

He's spent years applying science to the art of cooking‚ so you might expect Alton Brown's kitchen to resemble an MIT lab. But the brainy host of Good Eats and Iron Chef America keeps it surprisingly simple: "I'd rather have one good knife and a few quality pans than a bunch of crap," he says. "I can set up a really good guy's kitchen for under $500, soup to nuts." And so that's what we asked him to do: Name the best tools for taming the kitchen.

1. An 8- Or 10-Inch Chef's Knife The only blade you need to chop, mince, carve, and fillet. Brown's pick: Shun Classic 10-inch chef's knife ($130), for its comfy handle and supersharp edge.

2. A Stainless-Steel Sauté Pan Sauté in a stainless-steel pan like the 2-quart All-Clad ($155) and you'll finish in near microwave time, minus the microwave flavor.

3. A Cast-Iron Skillet When you can't grill outside, use the Lodge 12-inch cast-iron skillet ($27) to whip up your burgers and steaks.

4. A 6- To 8-Quart Stockpot For noodles, soups, and sauces, use the Calphalon 6-quart Tri-Ply stockpot ($130). Another Calphalon must: the Simply Nonstick 8-inch omelet pan ($25).

5. A Hand Blender Brown passes on gadgets unless they multitask. That's why he likes the Toastmaster 1740 Hand Blender ($15): It purees soups, smooths out sauces, and churns out smoothies with the push of a single button.

Gotta go with the knife. And after that, a cutting board.

I'd say to use whatever saute' pan you're comfortable with, be it non-stick or be it SS. Just make sure it's big.

Back
Top Bottom