What's this pan for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frederik

Assistant Cook
I have a saucepan with an odd shape. I was given it by my mum. It has bulbous sides; the bottom half bulges out and the top half is relatively straight.

Does anyone know what type of pan this is and what it's for? I can't seem to find any pictures of anything similar.

How about an ASCII art representation instead of it from the side. :)

It's a saucepan, but with this shape.

HTML:
  |           |=========Handle
  |           |
 /             \
/               \
\               /
 \_____BASE____/

Last edited:
Nice try, although it doesn't help a whole lot ;)

Is it like this?
71HBc13-izL._SL1500_.jpg

"What's this pan for?"

It's for cooking. :whistling

Now as far as a specific use please defer to those posters who might have a clue. :D

And that isn't me. ;)

Why would a fondue pot need wider sides???

Help me understand. :chef:

Last edited:
I used to have a pot, similar to the shaped described. I used it for general cooking, but what I liked most about is the wider , rounded bottom made it easier for a spoon/ ladle to get to those hard to reach corners of the pot.

My grandma used to have one.... I think she used it mostly for heating milk. However, I don't think that was it's original intention.

My mother's pan was not quite as bulbous at the bottom. It was the bottom half of a double boiler.

Rock has a good lead - for stability, not just on a boat but coals or other unstable sources.

I've seen pots like that before, but never paid a lot of attention to them. For some reason, the double boiler theory tickles my little grey cells. I have this image in my head of that pan with another one that fits on top of it.

CD

I did a google image search, and it seems a lot of double boiers are/were bigger at the bottom...

Attachments

• serveimage.jpeg
    serveimage.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 151
  • serveimage-1.jpeg
    serveimage-1.jpeg
    6.5 KB · Views: 200
I've seen pots like that before, but never paid a lot of attention to them. For some reason, the double boiler theory tickles my little grey cells. I have this image in my head of that pan with another one that fits on top of it.

CD

Yep, just what I surmised in post number 5. If we had a picture it would make identifying it so much easier.

Looking at the size of the handle in relation to the pot, I would certainly think of that as a mini pot for a sauce, no?

Back
Top Bottom