"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #21
Executive Chef

For responsive control low to moderate heat- Demeyere Atlantis
For responsive high heat- carbon steel
For steady even high or low heat- cast iron

Old 08-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

That's uhh, good to hear, Loin...
I don't believe anyone actually suggested a non-stick wok, but good passionate advice nonetheless.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #23
Sous Chef

>>I have a large non stick wok myself. It is perfect for whipping up a quick dinner. One of my most used pans.

sounds like a suggestion to me (g)
Old 08-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #24
Master Chef

I have Revereware dutch ovens, sauce pans and 1 12" SS skillet also Revereware. It's similar to their 2000 line - tri-ply with aluminum disc bottoms. They are my go to pots except for my CI skillets which are indispensable for most of my frying. I have 1 small teflon coated skillet and 1 teflon coated griddle for making grilled sandwiches and pancakes. The Revereware has lasted close to 30 years since I got most of the pieces during the first several years of marriage.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I have a set of Paula Deen Cookware that I purchased 3 years ago. It's like new today and I use it every single day. Best I've ever owned. As for a Wok .. I agree with Sir Loin of Beef ... keep it simple for best results. For my bakeware I use good old Pyrex for the loaf and rectangle pans as well as the pie plate. For smaller serving sizes I use my Fiesta bowls .. excellent sizes as well as super easy clean up.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
>>I have a large non stick wok myself. It is perfect for whipping up a quick dinner. One of my most used pans.

sounds like a suggestion to me (g)
oops. My bad. I missed Big Jim's post earlier. And I even posted right below it I'll have to go back to using quick links instead of New Posts. That makes a few posts I've missed.

Thanks for the heads up.

And Big Jim, you use whatever pan you want
Old 08-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Here's the one that I have.
I like that it has just a little bit of flat on the bottom, unlike my true wok.
That's very similar to mine, but mine is a cheaper brand, I think that it was from Bed Bath and Beyond. Maybe in the $20 range.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
There is no way I would buy a non-stick wok. The teflon coating would negate all the advantages of using a wok. You can pick up a really good steel wok at Cost Plus for about 12 bucks American. I wouldn't buy an electric wok, either. It can not get hot enough!
The pan that I have isn't really a wok, sure it can be used in a similar fashion, but it is meant to be used for many other purposes as well.

Just a versatile pan that I enjoy using. Since I am not a pro, stir fryer it works just great for me.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #29
Head Chef

I agree with the cast iron. I love my cast iron skillet. I had to buy my own cause my mom wouldn't let me have hers, lol. But it took years to get it were it is now. I cook the best fried chicken in that pan. But it's too heavy to use all the time..

I took note with the brand you all named. I'm gonna have a look at them and see which one will work for me... I also agree that good cookware is an investment. So I'm willing to spend a little to have a good quality, working set. I really appreciate all the input..
Old 08-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
The pan that I have isn't really a wok, sure it can be used in a similar fashion, but it is meant to be used for many other purposes as well.

Just a versatile pan that I enjoy using. Since I am not a pro, stir fryer it works just great for me.
Wok shaped pans are great like BJ said, to throw together a quick meal. You can really pile the food in and don't need to wait for anything to release. I don't think the non-stick could really be used as a true wok though. I'm not sure they could take the high heat and little oil.
I call my "ultimate pan" my everyday pan, even though it isn't a true everyday pan either It's just a really handy pan. Versatile, like you said.

Tags
cookware