What's your favorite cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regarding woks, I remember one of the TV chefs (can't remember who, but he was actually a good cook, not Rachael Ray), said don't bother buying an expensive wok. They are designed to be a short term item, unless you only use it once a year or something. It's too easy for them to get dings that make the heat uneven, etc.

Regarding woks, I remember one of the TV chefs (can't remember who, but he was actually a good cook, not Rachael Ray), said don't bother buying an expensive wok. They are designed to be a short term item, unless you only use it once a year or something. It's too easy for them to get dings that make the heat uneven, etc.

They must have been talking about thin, cheaply made tin Woks. Woks in the Orient are handed down from generation to generation for many decades of hard and continuous use.

My latest one is only a couple years old and is hardly broken in. It's a new Teflon coated electric wok that I found that has real heat. I only use it for stir-fry on it's highest setting, but that one works great!

A pounded stainless steel Wok is almost indestructible. Whoever that TV cook was better be good at cooking, because they don't have a clue about Woks. :LOL:

My best kitchen tool is my pair of tongs. I use them for everything and they are so handy. I also love my 5 quart cast iron casserole dish. It's bright red and I adore it ;)

I believe it was that jerk from Cook's Country, Chris Kimball.

...A pounded stainless steel Wok is almost indestructible. Whoever that TV cook was better be good at cooking, because they don't have a clue about Woks. :LOL:

I've heard of hammered carbon steel but never pounded stainless steel.

Ha! You got me! That's what I meant! I had the image in my head and it just came out that way.

That's happened to me more than once. It happens more when I've pounded down a few too many alcoholic beverages and I I'm hammered.

I'm guessing a wok comes with some sort of special burner??? (don't look at me like that I don't know, lol)

Since it's shaped like it is...I mean it couldn't stay up straight or get enough heat from say a flattop could it?

most come with a ring - if you have gas, whether you need it depends on the burner grate design. the round bottom may "sit" and be stable "in the hole" of a gas burner grate.

electric, need ring.

woks are intended for high heat fast cooking - so more closer to the flame, more better.
I've seen "expert" directions to use the ring big side up and other "expert" opinions to use small diameter up. I find using it small diameter up is more stable on my gas top. my wok will actually "sit" quite stable in my gas burners, but I use the ring small side up as it seems to "concentrate" the heat better.

fear not the wok - piece of cake - it's the pro's flipping and flashing spoons that make it seem 'difficult' - the big "toss-up-and-flame" stuff is largely intentional.- you might want to get comfortable with using it before going for 'the big show' effects (g) and if you go for show, make sure your paper towel holder is located well away from the fireball.... (you can guess how I know about that.....)

just don't walk away - wok high heat stir frying requires your undivided attention.

most come with a ring - if you have gas, whether you need it depends on the burner grate design. the round bottom may "sit" and be stable "in the hole" of a gas burner grate.

electric, need ring.

woks are intended for high heat fast cooking - so more closer to the flame, more better.
I've seen "expert" directions to use the ring big side up and other "expert" opinions to use small diameter up. I find using it small diameter up is more stable on my gas top. my wok will actually "sit" quite stable in my gas burners, but I use the ring small side up as it seems to "concentrate" the heat better.

fear not the wok - piece of cake - it's the pro's flipping and flashing spoons that make it seem 'difficult' - the big "toss-up-and-flame" stuff is largely intentional.- you might want to get comfortable with using it before going for 'the big show' effects (g) and if you go for show, make sure your paper towel holder is located well away from the fireball.... (you can guess how I know about that.....)

just don't walk away - wok high heat stir frying requires your undivided attention.

I guess that's what it was, they make it look like only the "experts" can use it, lol.

Oh and I don't walk away from the stove anymore when I'm cooking. I've had my own little mishap...:angel:.

jusnikki said:
Aww, thanks :)... I already ordered the one from Cost Plus. I got the cheaper nonstick one since I'm a little uncomfortable with it. I am loving
Cost Plus, lol.

We have a cost plus/world market down the street and I love that store, nice stuff at great prices.

Aww, thanks :)... I already ordered the one from Cost Plus. I got the cheaper nonstick one since I'm a little uncomfortable with it. I am loving
Cost Plus, lol.

I use the nylon utensils and wooden utensils in my non-stick wok and it's held up for several years with no degradation of the cooking surface.

My wok is electric, and I use it only on it's highest setting. The tools have not shown any sign of wear either. I was kind of surprised. I stir-fry for only one person, (me), so I never have to load the wok very full. It cooks great!

If I were cooking larger meals in a wok, I would prefer a steel wok over an open high-flame. Strictly outside work for my home. The electric wok, I can use inside for small meals.

Good luck with your new wok!:chef:

I use the nylon utensils and wooden utensils in my non-stick wok and it's held up for several years with no degradation of the cooking surface.

My wok is electric, and I use it only on it's highest setting. The tools have not shown any sign of wear either. I was kind of surprised. I stir-fry for only one person, (me), so I never have to load the wok very full. It cooks great!

If I were cooking larger meals in a wok, I would prefer a steel wok over an open high-flame. Strictly outside work for my home. The electric wok, I can use inside for small meals.

Good luck with your new wok!:chef:

Thanks Timothy,

We like a lot of stir fry, so it will come in handy.... Definetly something different for me, lol.

I have some Emirilware that is made by Allclad. goos stuff at a great price. I also have some Allclad but jus a few pieces. I gave away all my Calphalon to my buddy who has a restaurant when I switched to SS

Back
Top Bottom