"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Love cast iron of every size and shape....Tri-Ply Stainless is great too...There are several excellent quality brands on the market with various price points.... I have found some of the less expensive brands (Tramontina) to work as well as the more expensive ones...Longevity may be an issue sometime in the distant future...Time will tell. ~ If I owned any 'non stick' pots or pans I would give them to an enemy!! Can't stand the stuff....\

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #42
Executive Chef

My wok.

I can't even guess how many pounds of food have been cooked in it.

Wok fry, Deep fry, slow cook, steam, braise, bake...it does all of it.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
If I owned any 'non stick' pots or pans I would give them to an enemy!! Can't stand the stuff....\

Enjoy!
Why is that, Bob? I own a few non-stick cookware items and they have served me well, depending on what I'm cooking of course. What is it about non-stick that doesn't work for you?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Cast iron is the original non-stick surface....It works fine...even with eggs ~ I have no problems with Tri-Ply stainless sticking....even with eggs...I routinely (my go to pan) cook/fry eggs in an aluminum pan...no sticking problems there either...So why do I need it???? I don't!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:17 AM   #45
Senior Cook

I just made bacon and eggs on my cast iron skillet and it worked perfectly fine. No sticking at all.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #46
Assistant Cook

The two most important things to look for in pots and pans are mass and conductivity. You need both of these things in a pan. The best that I've used, other than thick copper, is Calphalon. They are by far the nicest pans and sauce pots I've cooked on in years.

Ken Harper

Old 08-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #47
Head Chef

Most seem to really like the wok. I've never owned one because I'm intimidated by it, lol. It's just looks....i don't know.....intimidating!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Just cruise on over to Cost Plus and pick up a hammered steel wok, for around 12 bucks American. It's not a big investment, and you will learn to love it. Just keep it greased up until you break it in so that it doesn't rust.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
Most seem to really like the wok. I've never owned one because I'm intimidated by it, lol. It's just looks....i don't know.....intimidating!
Hey Nikki!

I was the same way for years. I thought there was some secret Oriental method that must be learned to cook in a Wok.

It's actually very easy and nothing more than what you do already, using other pans.

You can boil and simmer things in it.
You can stir-fry very easily. PM me if you need step-be-step help.
You can slow cook in it.
You can even bake some things in it.

I love my Wok. It's super easy to clean also.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #50
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
So the cuisinart is fairly good when it comes to nonstick? Most of the nonstick stuff I've purchased hasn't lasted very long. I don't even get the kind that looks like it may peel, lol. It never last.... and thanks for responding.
Nikki: A word to the wise. Don't buy "non-stick" cookware. None of it holds up very well, and if you use "regular" cookware properly, your food will not stick.

Are you looking for non-stick because someone recommended it, or because you think you will cook healthier with it? Just curious. Can give better suggestions if you talk about what you are looking for and what you want to accomplish with it.

Tags
cookware