"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-18-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
Senior Cook

When to avoid stainless cookware?

I posted earlier a bit about stainless cookware. I'm looking at upgrading but I need to make sure that its right for me.

I thought that rather than listing every dish that I tend to prepare, I might ask what dishes or types of dishes are not good for stainless cookware.

For example, I hear that its not very effective to try cooking eggs in stainless (unless scrambled is what you want)

Also, I don't like cooking with oil much. I prefer to cook with an oil based cooking spray.

So, what kinds of dishes really don't turn out well with stainless cookware?

Old 05-18-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Other than eggs, I can't think of any foods that are not well suited to SS. Maybe melted cheese too.

You mentioned that you don't want to use a lot of oil though. You do need to use oil or other fats with lots of things in SS. When using non stick you can get away with a lot less or even no oil or additional fat. You will not get the same sort of browning in non stick though and you wont get much (if any) fond, which are those yummy brown bits you use to make sauces.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:37 PM   #3

Stainless steel will not brown foods as well as cast iron. Also, it is not the best metal for stews and soups. Cast iron or enameled cast iron is best for soups and stews.

Stainless steel is not the best metal for baking either. Most bakers would rather use tinned steel, or heavy aluminum for baking.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

CC:

I have to disagree. It's not the type of metal that makes good browning. It's heat. You can brown a piece of meat equally well in cast iron, SS or even teflon. The key is a smoking hot pan.

In general, SS (tri-ply) can do just about any cooking task except maybe frying eggs without sticking.

Andy M.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I have gotten the same sort of browning from SS as I have from Cast Iron, but not even close from non stick. I have used high heat (even though it is not recommended) with my heavy non stick pans and the color difference is dramatically less than when I use SS or cast iron.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:49 PM   #6

Ok guys, but I agree to disagree.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
Cook

I've only recently started using SS and I'm always amazed how well it performs. The only thing I've had trouble with were cold bacon and eggs sticking, but as far as browning chicken or chicken fried steak it's exceptional and does not stick if used correctly. One cool thing about SS is that you can see everything so clearly as the food changes color. It isn't neccessary to add oil to things like ground chuck because it will makes it's own. I dont see how SS wouldn't work as well as Le Creuset for soups or stews, both are heavy and non-reactive.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:24 PM   #8
Master Chef

I love it that we can agree to disagree and move on. I suspect that those of us who recognise that probably have longer marriages!! I have never really used cast iron (always rusted on me, and please don't tell me how I can make it wonderful, I'll just let my freinds cook on cast iron!), but DO, DEFINITELY agree that browning things is easier in a pan that is NOT non-stick. More importantly (as noted, with enough heat, oil, flour coating, etc, you can get a good brown on anything), though, is that in a non-stick pan you cannot get good drippings for sauces and gravies. You need to get meat and flour particles to stick to the pan to get a good sauce or gravy. My opinion is that any really good heavy stock pot works equally well, assuming we're not going into the aluminum range (a big mistake for me since I do a lot of chili, curry, and red sauce in bulk to freeze). Heavy bottom to avoid hot spots and burning. I know it makes me sound old, but I'm not a fan of La Creuset because of the weight. I'm very strong, but still manage to get frustrated when I have a big casserole I have to lift out of an oven at below waist level. I don't like to add to the weight of the dish I'm making. And I often have freinds helping me who are older and much more fragile. La Creuset is heavy, as is cast iron. La Creuset also chips easily. Everyone should use what they like, but when you newbies write in, think about the reasons some of us love or hate a particular piece of equipment and how it applies to you.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:31 AM   #9
Head Chef

I don't use my 2 non stick pans very much because stuff doesn't brown that well in them. Also, I don't recommend using PAM or whatever on SS. It will burn on and there is no way to get it off. It becomes one with the pan. A little oi in a very hot pan will go a long way and you will have beautifully carmelized meat, veg's etc. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:21 AM   #10
Master Chef

Not much to add but that you can get burned on stuff (including Pam spray) off by using Barkeeper's Friend.

I use SS or cast iron for basically everything but eggs.

I have very little use for nonstick.