Where can I find a dutch oven with "basting lid"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
It seems like nowadays when they make dutch oven, they like to make the lid "reversible" and can be used as a skillet or something. well, the inside of the lid is supposed to be covered by many little spikes that allows condensation to redistribute over the meat evenly during braising. I can't find one like that on Amazon... does anything know what I'm talking about and where I can find one?

Thanks!

sure. Lodge still makes a 5 qt as you describe. Check out their website.Check Chefs catalog and Cooking .com as well. Do a serch for the lodge 5 qt dutch oven.

Staub makes enameled dutch ovens with spikes on the under side of the lid to act as a basting aid.

I seem to remember America's Test Kitchen testing whether those bumps really did anything. I am not 100% sure this memory is correct though. If I am not losing my mind then they tested it and found it did not make any different in the final product, bumps or no bumps. I am only half sure my memory is correct though.

I have Le Crueset and never felt I was missing something in the final result because of a lack of bumps on the lid.

I seem to remember America's Test Kitchen testing whether those bumps really did anything. I am not 100% sure this memory is correct though. If I am not losing my mind then they tested it and found it did not make any different in the final product, bumps or no bumps. I am only half sure my memory is correct though.

From FineCooking.com

Spikes for basting

The undersides of the lids of many Dutch ovens are festooned with spikes (or raised dots) designed to form droplets of condensation from steam rising off the simmering liquid. These droplets theoretically drip down onto the food, basting it as it braises. In our tests, we found that condensation formed on the underside of all lids—spiked or flat—and dripped back into the pot. There was no significant difference in the amount of moisture or the appearance of foods braised under the two types of lids.

Bed, Bath, and Beyond had a good price on a six quart enameled Dutch oven with the small spikes on the lid. I got it for someone's birthday. I do not usually get things when they are endorsed by "celebrity chefs," but this one had everything I was seeking even if Emeril lent his name to it. :)

Last edited:
Bed, Bath, and Beyond had a good price on a six quart enameled Dutch oven with the small spikes on the lid. I got it for someone's birthday. I do not usually get things when they are endorsed by "celebrity chefs," but this one had everything I was seeking even if Emeril lent his name to it. :)

And it is made by Allclad. BAM!

It seems like nowadays when they make dutch oven, they like to make the lid "reversible" and can be used as a skillet or something. well, the inside of the lid is supposed to be covered by many little spikes that allows condensation to redistribute over the meat evenly during braising. I can't find one like that on Amazon... does anything know what I'm talking about and where I can find one?

Thanks!

I bought mine at Sam's Club for under $40 with the basting ridges in the lid. Enameled cast iron. I also have a large 9 quart one from Mario Batali's line.

Even if the bumps redistributed moisture, the only thing that would drip down from the bumps would be plain water with no flavor whatsoever. If basting, use all of the juices to baste with all of the flavors by spooning the braising liquid over the meat manually.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom