Where can I find a good Wok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm I will need to let him answer that one. I seem to remember talking to him about using salt as part of the seasoning process for cast iron once, but I do't recall the technique. I do remember that it seemed to make sense to me at the time though, not that that helps you right now of course.

I do know though that salt is not necessary. All you really need it oil or some other fat, just like with seasoning cast iron.

Okay, I've cut salt WAAAAAAAYYYY out of my diet. I used to salt everything and because my GF wants me to stick around for a while, I stopped. I just got sea salt so I can start again, but I use a LOT less than before.

Sorry for the slow thanks, but for some reason I couldn't log in :(. But thanks guys, I can't wait to fry stuff in the wok :)

Does anyone know the advantages and/or disadvantages of a cast-iron wok as opposed to carbon steel? I was looking at the wokshop's products, and they have a nicely priced 14-in cast-iron wok set. The wok is the same weight as the 14-inch carbon steel.

Cast iron is not a great material for a wok if you plan on doing traditional Chinese cooking. The benefits of carbon steel is that you can have hot and cool areas of the wok. You cook food in the center where the heat is hottest and then move the food up the sides as it is done. The sides are much cooler so the food that is cooked does not overcook, but still stays warm. With Cast iron it sucks up the heat and holds onto it so the sides will get rocket hot as well.

GB said:
Cast iron is not a great material for a wok if you plan on doing traditional Chinese cooking. The benefits of carbon steel is that you can have hot and cool areas of the wok. You cook food in the center where the heat is hottest and then move the food up the sides as it is done. The sides are much cooler so the food that is cooked does not overcook, but still stays warm. With Cast iron it sucks up the heat and holds onto it so the sides will get rocket hot as well.

Good point. I tried googling the topic but came up empty.Too bad, though, because that set would be perfect for our needs. Oh, well.

I have another question that maybe you or someone else can answer. If I get the carbon steel wok, should I get the one with the long wooden handle and short helper handle or the traditional short steel handles?

Personally I would go for the long wooden handle with the helper handle. I am used to long handles so I can move the wok around and flip stuff that way. Helper handles are always a good idea IMO. It is very much personal preference though. Once style is not necessarily better than the other.

totally agree with a number of the posts on here already - China town will have the best woks at the best prices - carbon steel ones heat up quickly, last forever and are very easy to look after. Just make sure you never use detergent to wash it up as it will lose its' patina.

Well, since no one has told me to keep my insipid ideas to mayself (yet):

I live in SF, which likes to brag about having "the largest Chinese population outside Asia", BUT: I never go to Chinatown for shopping - there and 100's of tiny storefront shops stacked to the ceiling with just enough open floor space to navigate.
These places do not pay the outrageous rents in Chinatown. This makes the goods cost about 50-70% of the Chinatown prices (yes, the Grant Ave corridor in Chinatown has some of the most expensive rents in town, so the mark up is unbelievable.
Add to that the fact that Chinatown merchants live and die on the tourist trade, and selection is very limited.
So, if you want an authentic asian shop, look in the neighborhoods.

p.s. - completely OT: the reason Chinatowns exist is that, by law, persons of Asian extraction could not buy any real estate outside a designated area.
This pretty well guaranteed that such properties commanded premium prices.

Back
Top Bottom