"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Where do you keep pot lids?

I am losing the storage drawer in the oven, new one has the broiler down there and the manual says do not use for storage. I don't really want to just throw them on the bottom shelf in the bottom cabinet because I can just see them sliding all over in there driving me nuts. I don't have much space, or another drawer to relocate to. Any ideas? Or just store them in the broiler anyway?

Old 12-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You can get a rack that fits on the inside of a cabinet door that will hold some.

Also, you can lean them against the inside wall of a cabinet next to the pots. Put the smallest one in first then lean a larger one over it, etc. so they are lined up like this /////

Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I keep my lids on the pot they fit. That does take up room though because you can't nest the pots together, but since mine are non-stick, I wouldn't want to nest them anyway.
I would think your lids would be OK in the broiler, as long as they don't have plastic handles that could melt when you use the oven. Or you don't forget and use the oven, then go reach for a lid without a potholder.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My pots and pans hang on a wonderful rack in the center of my kitchen, and many of the lids slide down over the handles. For the ones that don't, a good friend built me a rack that fits inside the cabinet above the sink, where they reside.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe something like this would work for you: Amazon.com: PULL OUT LID ORGANIZER: Home & Garden

I use something similar to this: Amazon.com: Deluxe Chrome Lid Organizer: Home & Garden
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Both of which I would do...... the lids can go in the oven to 350. But I'd crank it to 450 one day and have a mess. THEN I would grab them and melt my hand.
I've got my pots nested, they are stainless w/ copper bottoms. I don't have space to keep them apart, I wish I did.
So far they are standing. The smaller ones are in the big stock pot I don't use as often. That way I only have 3 to deal with falling over if it happens, and I guess I can tolerate that.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I have all my lids in the cabnet... I use an old dish drainer to keep them in. They stand up that way and I can find what I"m looking for.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
My pots and pans hang on a wonderful rack in the center of my kitchen, and many of the lids slide down over the handles.
I do the same, June. Any other lids hang on the wall in another area of the kitchen. Our kitchen has very limited kitchen storage space. I practically have to go outdoors to change my mind.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Master Chef

I have this one: Amazon.com: Deluxe Chrome Lid Organizer: Kitchen & Dining ,

But it just doesn't work.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I have this one: Amazon.com: Deluxe Chrome Lid Organizer: Kitchen & Dining ,

But it just doesn't work.
Hm. Well, as I said, mine is similar - it's made of plastic-coated wire, like they make closet systems out of. I keep 4 pot lids in it and it works fine.