"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I bought the Member's Mark set about a year ago and absolutely love it!
I picked up an All-Clad brand sauce pan (ebay) to fill in the size range. I've not found ANY difference in the way either brand performs/cleans up/shines/browning/cool handles,etc. The question I can't answer is: will they still be equals tens years down the road? Can't answer that one yet, but I went to Sams a few days ago and bought a set for my daughter's Xmas present.

PS: the make-up of the set has changed slightly and now includes some utensiles. Check the Samsclub.com site.

Nufsed

Ricky

Old 12-14-2006, 07:19 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

nufsed,
When I go to the Sams Club website it lists the price of the 21 piece set for $180 but not the pieces. Was your set the 21 pieces, and if not, could you list the pieces in your set and the price you paid a year ago.
I am not a Sam's Club member but for that price, I could join or find a friend with a membership who could possibly buy it for me. Also on the site it says you can't buy it online, only at a club.

mack

Old 12-14-2006, 09:47 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Bluemack, look here
Old 12-15-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Andy has posted the link to the set I just bought for my daughter. The set that I bought earlier had fewer pieces and sold for $130.
(Vyshtia posted the pic of the older set on page one of this thread)

The new set adds a 2qt pan and a 10" fry pan and swaps the 6qt stock pot and steamer for an 8qt with a pasta cooker and the 12" fry pan becomes a 12" "jumbo cooker". Utensiles are added as well.
The new set is 50 bux more, but if I could, I was swap my set for the new set and happily pay the difference.

My daughter is getting the better deal (of course).

I think ypu'll love it! Good luck!
Ricky

Nufsed
Old 12-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Thanks Robo410 for your imput. It's interesting how inside, a person usually "knows" what his/her answers are and yet at the same time, it takes someone else's voice and words echoing those same ideas to release that certain knowing inside. So when you said to go with the good stuff, something inside of me said it's final "yes" which was down there all the time but needed a little help. After reading your words then, our internal voices chimed in that these would be cookware we would be using for a loooooooooong time and we want to get something that we will enjoy using every single time. So again, thank you Robo as well will difinitely go for the LC and All Clad. We even found an LC factory outlet that we will check out in Grove City, PA.
Our inner voice inside thanks you for validating what he already knew but still needed your imput.

mack
Old 12-15-2006, 09:00 PM   #16
Sous Chef

KitchenAid has triply also--and I think 5 ply on their roasting pan. I have heard from people who owned restaurants and used the Costco SS that it is excellent.
I happen to hate the AllClad handles (which may be older because they are on my son's). They are narrow and get VERY hot. There are, of course, sleeves that fit them, but I forget and think they are like mine at home and grab them!! Not a good learning curve.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

The Costco Kirkland brand I saw today is SS & 5 ply with copper on the bottom, not throughout. How is this compared to All Clad's SS?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:39 PM   #18
Executive Chef

if you want copper, get real copper. otherwise it's just for show. (needs to be 1.6 to 2 mm thick to be much use..ideal is 2.5 to 3 mm.)

also when you buy All Clad, you're buying "made in America" (in Pennsylvania).