Which Cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluemack

Assistant Cook
I used to have a set of Le Creuset back in the 80's. When she got custody of that, I bought a set of stainless Cuisinart. My brother adopted that set and now I'm back to starting from scratch with no cookware except an old miro stainless frying pan. Been reading Americas Kithen. Sometimes they recommend Le Creuset, sometimes All Clad. I love cooking soups and would want at least a Dutch Oven (so what is the difference between a "Dutch" and a "French" oven anyways? - not really the reason for this thread though).

So which is it, stainless like all clad (but so expensive), Cast Enamel like Le Creuset (also expensive) or something else? And a set or open stock. And lastly, where to buy this?

thanks for your help.

mack

The two are not the same at all. You may want a LC French oven (I don't think the French will call it a " dutch" oven!!)--even one of a lesser "name" than LC that will still do that long slow braise.
Then you might want a non-stick saute pan for those special needs. After that, maybe SS or anodized aluminum.
KitchenAid has a very nice set of tri-ply as does Tramontino. You might shop on Amazon for sets or pieces. Sam's and Costco have AllClad and Calphalon lookalikes that are VERY serviceable and a LOT cheaper.

I guess if I went ss, I'd want something all clad and not just a disc on the bottom (from what I have been reading and learning). Other than the All-Clad brand, what other brands have that same all clad through the cookware. And then how do these other brands compare to the All Clad when it comes to the cooking. What would a cook notice in the different kinds of all clad pots on a ceramic stove cooktop?

mark

bluemack, check out older posts in this forum for some really thorough discussion of the best and worst of different cookeare.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11123605&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4017652&Mo=35&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&No=2&ViewAll=36&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=54916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=S&search=cookware&topnav=&s=1

Is this stuff from Costco like All-Clad or just an aluminum disc on the bottom of the pan?

It's fully clad, tri-ply, just like All-Clad. I'd guess you would get excellent performance from this set. All the pieces look like they would get regular use.

I'm switching all my cookware to non-riveted, so my choices are limited. But if you already like All-Clad, I've been seeing some very good reviews on the Member's Mark 18/10 SS Set, available from Sams Club.

955462.jpg

I can't find any specs online - but the Tri-Ply-Clad 11-piece set costs $130. Consumer Reports found it to be a very good deal:
ABC12.com: Consumer News-Testing cookware

Here are some specs (no guarantees that this is the exact same specs for the Sam's Club version):

1. Tri-Ply Cookware Set has 11 pieces
2. Premium line with pure aluminum core between two layers of 18/10 SS extended all the way up the sidewalls to maximize performance.
3. Lifetime Warranty
4. NSF Certified
5. Premium heavy gauge 18/10 SS
6. Polished mirror finish exterior and interior
7. Heavy-duty rivets with SS caps
8. Dishwasher Safe.

Also highly regarded is the Kirkland Signature Tri-Ply SS set.

Some other good brands are:
Tramontina, Calphalon, Farberware, Sitram, Demeyere...

Does anyone have any infor about the Sam's Club tri-ply cookware. Are they in the stores?
Also has anyone cooked on both the All Clad and the other tri-ply brands and noticed and experienced differences. That is one h*** of a difference in price.

My Costco warehouse does not have the tri-ply so I can't say. I bought a Costco tri-ply set about 5-6 years ago and it's absolutely as good as All-Clad.

I regularly cook on All-clad, Costco and LeGourmet Chef tri-plys. I get the same results with all. the LeG stuff is a little thinner than the others but works fine for my saucepans. (1-qt to 6-qt sizes).

you get what you pay for...get good stuff.
enameled cast iron (the cheap stuff chips easily, stick with le creuset) heavy, holds the heat...great for slow hearty cooking.
Tri ply or bi-metal All Clad, Falk or Mauviel copper, some kitchen aid, etc...pricey stuff but built to last and to work. Get the pieces you need. If that means a set, great.

CHeck outlets both online and in person... Cooks Resource, Cookware n more, copperpans.com, Smart Bargains, Cooking.com, etc. Enjoy the collecting experince

I bought the Member's Mark set about a year ago and absolutely love it!
I picked up an All-Clad brand sauce pan (ebay) to fill in the size range. I've not found ANY difference in the way either brand performs/cleans up/shines/browning/cool handles,etc. The question I can't answer is: will they still be equals tens years down the road? Can't answer that one yet, but I went to Sams a few days ago and bought a set for my daughter's Xmas present.

PS: the make-up of the set has changed slightly and now includes some utensiles. Check the Samsclub.com site.

Nufsed

Ricky

nufsed,
When I go to the Sams Club website it lists the price of the 21 piece set for $180 but not the pieces. Was your set the 21 pieces, and if not, could you list the pieces in your set and the price you paid a year ago.
I am not a Sam's Club member but for that price, I could join or find a friend with a membership who could possibly buy it for me. Also on the site it says you can't buy it online, only at a club.

mack

Andy has posted the link to the set I just bought for my daughter. The set that I bought earlier had fewer pieces and sold for $130.
(Vyshtia posted the pic of the older set on page one of this thread)

The new set adds a 2qt pan and a 10" fry pan and swaps the 6qt stock pot and steamer for an 8qt with a pasta cooker and the 12" fry pan becomes a 12" "jumbo cooker". Utensiles are added as well.
The new set is 50 bux more, but if I could, I was swap my set for the new set and happily pay the difference.

My daughter is getting the better deal (of course).

I think ypu'll love it! Good luck!
Ricky

Nufsed

Thanks Robo410 for your imput. It's interesting how inside, a person usually "knows" what his/her answers are and yet at the same time, it takes someone else's voice and words echoing those same ideas to release that certain knowing inside. So when you said to go with the good stuff, something inside of me said it's final "yes" which was down there all the time but needed a little help. After reading your words then, our internal voices chimed in that these would be cookware we would be using for a loooooooooong time and we want to get something that we will enjoy using every single time. So again, thank you Robo as well will difinitely go for the LC and All Clad. We even found an LC factory outlet that we will check out in Grove City, PA.
Our inner voice inside thanks you for validating what he already knew but still needed your imput.

mack

KitchenAid has triply also--and I think 5 ply on their roasting pan. I have heard from people who owned restaurants and used the Costco SS that it is excellent.
I happen to hate the AllClad handles (which may be older because they are on my son's). They are narrow and get VERY hot. There are, of course, sleeves that fit them, but I forget and think they are like mine at home and grab them!! Not a good learning curve.

The Costco Kirkland brand I saw today is SS & 5 ply with copper on the bottom, not throughout. How is this compared to All Clad's SS?

if you want copper, get real copper. otherwise it's just for show. (needs to be 1.6 to 2 mm thick to be much use..ideal is 2.5 to 3 mm.)

also when you buy All Clad, you're buying "made in America" (in Pennsylvania).

Back
Top Bottom