"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yeah, Santa never brought mine...

S'okay, I do fine with my De Buyer sauté pan, the carbon steel one...works just fine for stir fry.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
Master Chef

Well, ya see, you young pups, back just about the time writing was invented, (And no, I didn't invent it. My cousin did.) and just after I invented the axle that made the wheel useful, I had an idea to make this bowl-shaped cooking device to stir-fry foods in. So I got a big piece of granite, and took my hammer and chisel and started chipping away at the problem... Ahahahaha, hohoho, chipping away at the problem, get it? Ahem, you aren't laughing. Something's wrong with your brain.

Anyways, I fashioned this great granite bowl that measured three feet across (I used a yeti foot. They're really big), and 2 foot deep. The granite bowl was three inches thick, and polished as smooth as glass, so as to be non-stick. I'm tellin' ya, it was a real bugger to get onto that wok ring, and make it stay put. That thing was heavy! So, after placing my granite wok onto the ring, and over my roaring fire, I threw in some mastodon meat, diced into half-inch cubes of course. There were a few cans of water chestnuts in the cave, along with some leeks that DW picked back in the swamp. Now I have to say a good word about DW right here. She had to outrun a sabertooth, and a pack of baboons to bring back those leeks. Whata woman.!

Anyways, all was going well. The wild herbs were smelling so good with the mastodon and leeks, and other greens. But alas, I made the fatal error. I added cold cornstarch slurry to my granite wok. The instant that cold liquid it that hot granite, the durned thing exploded. It's a wonder we weren't all killed. The force of that explosion was sufficient to agravate the Earth's crust, and the rocky mountains were formed right before our eyes. But my stir fry was ruined.

So, in reference to this thread, don't use a granite wok. They just don't hold up, though they are great fun to plunk down on BT's head as a winter hat.

I haven't spun a good yarn in a while. That was fun.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #23
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

So, in reference to this thread, don't use a granite wok. They just don't hold up, though they are great fun to plunk down on BT's head as a winter hat.

I haven't spun a good yarn in a while. That was fun.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I think you have brain freeze from those long winters in the northern wasteland.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Nothing wrong with my brain...was caught trying to adjust my teeth...good yarn Chief!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone! I'll consider what you all said and buy the wok after some more thought (I'm a cautious buyer).
Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #26
Master Chef

I simply use my large cast iron fry pan to do all my chinese cooking and oil frying (I don't really "deep" fry, I just put an inch of oil in my CI pan heat oil and fry till brown turn and brown other side). I sear in it then put in the oven to finish cooking. I put a round rack in a cast iron pan and roast meats in the oven. When meat is cooked I remove the meat and rack and make gravy in the pan drippings. I use cast iron just about everyday and love it.

My SS pots and pans are Cuisinart.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

For most stir fry applications, I personally would probably go with the the Carbon Steel. Stir fry is for high heat quick cooking. The carbon steel has the characteristics that work well for this. Cleaning is easy - a bit of warm water with a dash of soap, rinse, dry and your done. If look in the kitchens of many of the best oriental restaurants what you will find in use are carbon steel or anodized aluminum. While these kitchens need both ease of use and utility, they beat their cookware up such that it also has to be inexpensive.

The carbon steel may not be a pretty and the stainless. So you need to go for what works best in you kitchen and with your style of cooking.

Terry Retter
Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #28
Master Chef

A Carbon Steel Wok is what you need. In addition to the fact that you can get it very hot (which is the key to stir frying) it will develop seasoning which will make your Chinese food taste better and better as it gets more seasoned.

Dont stir fry in a nonstick pan. There's no need for it (you are constantly stirring so food wont stick anyway) and you cant get them hot enough.

Electric woks usually dont get hot enough either.

I bought mine from The Wok Shop in San Francisco years ago on a business trip and its still going strong. They do mail order.

http://www.wokshop.com/
Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #29
Head Chef

Another vote for a big cast iron skillet--I use a deep chicken fryer on my gas stove, and can get a good sizzle going.

One caveat for cast iron--when the food is done, you have to dump it into a bowl--if you leave it in the cast iron, it continues to cook and will get mushy.

I don't think I have room in my kitchen for another pan, or I might consider a carbon steel wok.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Okay, so based on what everyone said, I think carbon steel is the way to go. I want to purchase one from the Wok Shop and am leaning towards the wok shop: carbon steel wok - side handle or the wok shop: selling woks for 40 years (strange color, huh?)

My coiled electric stove is 7 inch diameter and I only cook for myself, mainly Pad Thai and stir fry veggies/rice in wok. A few more questions:
1. What diameter wok should I get?
2. What types of handles are best?
3. Which type of wok is relatively easy to care for?
4. Can I make fried egg, mushroom masala, aloo gobi in it?

Tags
cookware