Which cookware to buy for stir frying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still use the same utensils that came with my wok 30 years ago. A steel spider with a bamboo handle and a steel spatula type thing with a small edge on each side and shaped to the curvature of the wok. It's a must, you have to have that sound of metal on metal clanging when you are stir-frying.

Omg so long!?

Okay, well I'll stick with the bamboo for now and keep my eyes open for steel utensils.
I'll buy some mineral oil or whatever to season my wok and the bamboos.

Thanks for the offer Fiona, but I found a lot of guides online for how to do this. If I have questions I'll feel free PM you for clarification!

I like the curve of the chan, I have a metal one but plan to buy a silicone one. The sound of the metal one makes to much noise when I shoot video.

I've received and seasoned the wok!!

I coated with grapeseed oil and baked for 20 minutes at 425. Seeing spots, I repeated the baking process.

After this, I stir fried scallions on high heat until they got charred (8 min).

Is my wok seasoned okay? Any tips on it's first usage and care?

ForumRunner_20130220_152018.png

ForumRunner_20130220_152028.jpg

Thanks again!

Can a wok with wok ring be used on electric glass top range ?

Hi, great question. I have been blessed with great luck, and as a result have several old Atlas woks. The best, hands down, made in the SF Bay area up until about twenty years ago, I think, then, "Bam!" they closed their doors. Every hippie household on the west coast must still have one of these. The right size (14"), the right steel, the right thickness and the right geometry, very well made, and in two basic styles...long pan handle and a bucket handle opposite, and two opposed bucket handles. They also came in two different shapes, round bottom for gas ranges and flat bottom for electric. Best bet for an electric range is a flat bottom wok, that makes full contact with the heating element. Or so I have found.

We have the wok, but we have the gas stove and not the electric.

Your friend,
~Cat

Back in the '50s I baby-sat the young girls of a Chinese family who lived across the street. The mother introduced me to Chinese cooking and woks and that was my start in learning how to cook real Chinese (Oriental) food.

My first wok was the same as hers (carbon steel) and I still use it a LOT and the curved carbon steel utensil that came with it. Do the math for how long that is. :)
I clean it with salt and a paper towel then rinse it with hot water. There are stiff brushes made of bamboo, I think, for cleaning. I haven't replaced mine since I lost it so this is a good reminder for me to buy another one.

Though I could hardly be called a hippie, and I don't think the Eastern U.P. of Michigan is anywhere near the west coast, I too have the Atlas carbon steel, flat bottomed wok, with the long handle and the Bucket handle. I use it frequently on my gas stove and it works great. I love that wok. I've used it for stir-fries, making chop suey/chow mein, deep frying egg rolls and won tons, for making lumpia, for scrambling eggs, or making various Asian soups, spaghetti sauce, small steaks, stews, and even a home-made pudding or two. It's so very versatile.

I have a curved grate that has little hooks on it, that hooks to the rim of the wok, allowing me to make tempura dishes, and place the cooked ones onto the grate to drain while cooking more tempura pieces, or egg rolls, or anything deep fried. The oil drips directly back into the pan. That's the best attachment for the wok that I've found. I've thought about getting a bamboo steamer to place inside, but I already have a stainless steel pot that serves as a good sauce pot, or with the inserts, a steamer, or double boiler that does a wonderous job. I boil up something like beats in the bottom, while steaming up some asparagus, and make the hollandaise all at the same time. Have a pan seared and fried chunk of meat on another burner just in time to serve them all at the same time.

With the wok, I can multi-task only two things at a time. But as I said, it's such a versatile cooking tool. I am very glad to have it, and the lid.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

With the wok, I can multi-task only two things at a time. But as I said, it's such a versatile cooking tool. I am very glad to have it, and the lid.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Aaagh...wok lids. Love 'em and hate 'em, so, what I do is take a cheap (yes, cheap) stainless steel bowl the same approximate size as the lid, and drill a hole about an inch or so below the rim. Install a wooden dresser drawer knob for a handle, so I can use it for a lid and a prep bowl.

Back in the '50s I baby-sat the young girls of a Chinese family who lived across the street. The mother introduced me to Chinese cooking and woks and that was my start in learning how to cook real Chinese (Oriental) food.

My first wok was the same as hers (carbon steel) and I still use it a LOT and the curved carbon steel utensil that came with it. Do the math for how long that is. :)
I clean it with salt and a paper towel then rinse it with hot water. There are stiff brushes made of bamboo, I think, for cleaning. I haven't replaced mine since I lost it so this is a good reminder for me to buy another one.
Those brushes are the best thing I ever found for cleaning cast iron pans.

Most SS cookware is made from '18/10' SS. If you want to go 'all-in' buy a 'T304' SS wok. 'T304' SS is surgical steel and is as 'non-stick' as you can get in SS. Yes you will need to spend money but you get what you pay for right? The wok will need to be 'seasoned' once in a while but that's easy. Google up how/why to season SS pots/pans. Make sure you are buying 'T304' not 18/10. The price will tip you off.Fissler Original Pro Wok with Stainless Steel Lid 30 cm - £219.00 : Salamander Cookshop UK

T304 is an 18/10 stainless. T304 Stainless Steel Note the Chrome and Nickel Content which is how 18/10 stainless got it's name.

Granted, there are a few different 300 series steels that can be 18/10, but 304 is not particularly special among them.

I can't see why not.

I use a round bottom wok on mine all the time without a ring.

+1. I do everything on my glasstop that one can do on any other stove. Just don't drag, do lift, otherwise it could get scratched.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom