"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-20-2005, 01:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Isn't that what most celebrity chefs do though?

Endorse a product so that they can reap the harvest and make a profit on the sales? Rachel Ray also has knives out that she endorsed and uses on her cooking show 30-Minute Meals.

~Corey123.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Just because a celebrity endorses a product though, that does not automatically mean it is a product worth buying.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #13
Cook

Cool hMMM.....

Hmmm..... Martha Stewart......

DO I NEED TO SAY ANY MORE

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:00 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree with Jenny and Goodweed. While Emerilware may be good quality stainless with disk bottoms. It doesn't compare with the All-clad stainless line of tri-ply. As others have said, less costly disk bottomed cookware is available.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:47 PM   #15
Executive Chef

That may be true, but it's mainly the attention and recognition that they are after. And yes, Martha Stewart is another one, with her collaberation with Kmart.

Emerilware is made by All-Clad and has triple-layered bottoms. And the All-Clad sets have more pieces to them, driving the prices even higher.

~Corey123.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:10 PM   #16
Master Chef

Comparing sets and the # of pieces isn't the way to go. Because if a set has more pieces to it, naturally it will be more expensive no matter who makes it. Plus you can buy smaller sets or cookware by the piece (which is often the more reasonable way to buy), lowering the price of any cookware.

Compare the cookware itself. How it's made. The value for the money.

All Clad may make E-ware but it's not a great value for the money, mostly IMO because of the Emeril name.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:23 PM   #17
Executive Chef

That's usually the case with most things, isn't it? You pay for the name?

I mean, I could have gone out and bought just any cookware set, but I didn't want that. I could have bought another Teflon-coated aluminum set, but i didn't want that again.

And yes, you CAN buy smaller sets of cookware and add matching pieces to them later as you please. I think co.'s still have starter sets.

But there IS cookware out there that is ten times worst than Emerilware. Mirro, Wearever and other very low-end cookware, to name a few - such an insult to peoples' inteligence and to food!

~Corey123.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #18
Master Chef

You are very right. People are usually quite unhappy with those very cheap brands. Often though they don't realize that it's the cookware -- they assume they burn things because they are a bad cook.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:27 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I don't consider E-ware to be low-end.

Even though it's cheaper than All-Clad, it still has quality standards. Besides, if it weren't for Emeril, this cookware might not have been possible. Emeril made sure that there were no cut corners, cheap materials or sour grapes.

~Corey123.
Agreed. All-Clad would never put out a piece of junk. Even the low-end Calphalon stuff doesn't stink.

A set of cookware does not have to be fully clad to be a good piece of cookware right???

Has jennyema used the emerilware cookware before???

The December 05 consumer reports put the Emerilware 10 piece uncoated cookware in third place. The kitchen aid set was first place.

I will agree with jennyema that putting the name on the cookware is adding some price to the cookware.

The only thing I see from the pictures for the kitchen-aid set of cookware I was looking for is one big piece of aluminum on the bottom of the cookware.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:50 PM   #20
Cook

Well... I am not one who would not admit ignorance.... Like I had said before, I do have some stainless steel pans. They usually do require a bit of cleaning though. And burn marks are sometimes hard to get to come off.

This being said. I am probably using the stainless steel pans on the lower side of the scale. My question is that if I got some pans on the higher end of the scale would I still have to go through exactly what I am doing with what I have... is it normal.

Because with my $12 cast iron pans... I don't.

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote