"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Which is going to be heavier cookware?

This kitchenaid set of cookware:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0000UIXVI

or the this set of Emerilware Stainless
http://www.shopathometv.com/shopatho...&catOID=-36862

my guess is the Emerilware.

I went to the target store one day to look at that special kitchenaid cookware set and they were all gone.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

You guessed it right!!

The KitchenAid stainless steel cookware set looks pretty impressive though. That's the thing with Target though. They never seem to have what they advertise for sale.

That happened to me while online. I was looking for one of those countertop convectiion ovens, you know, the ones with the clear high dome? It was cheap also - less than $35.00.

When I proceeded to order it from them, put in my credit card number and went to complete and officiate the deal, I then get this; "Sorry. This item is out of stock.!!!!" I was like WTF!!!! If the thing is not in stock, then what the **** is it doing still being posted for purchasing?!!!

But yes, the Emerilware stainless steel cookware set IS heavy, sturdy and well worth the money spent for it. I own the 10-pc. set. It has triple-layer thick clad bottoms to spread and maintain the high heat perfectly for constant even-heat cooking. And thank you for providing the link to that website. Because it has matching pieces for the cookware set so that you can add at your leisure to expand the set as much or as little as you want. That's good for me! And you if you get the set.

I posted a thread on the cookware. I'm surprised that you didn't see it. But if you want my advice, go with the Emerilware stainless stell cookware set. I got it and have had it since October. I love it! The best cookware that I've ever owned in a long time!!! It's great!!

~Corey123.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I saw that thread, BUUUTTTT I thought by posting this NEW thread I would get a faster response.

I have it narrowed down to these two sets.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

If the KA set is a tri-ply rather than a disc on the bottom type such as the Emerilware, then the KA would probably be heavier.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:47 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I don't know.

I've only just found out about this set today. The only other K'Aid cookware sets I've seen before this were the Teflon-coated aluminum type.

They are amongst the last to emerege with a stainless steel set that I know of.

~Corey123.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:56 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
If the KA set is a tri-ply rather than a disc on the bottom type such as the Emerilware, then the KA would probably be heavier.
I agree.

Because E-ware is made by Allclad, people often mistakenly assume that it is fully clad, when it isn't. It's their lowest end product that has a jacked-up price because of Emeril. Much like "Emeril's" low-end Wusthof knives, if he still sells those.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I don't consider E-ware to be low-end.

Even though it's cheaper than All-Clad, it still has quality standards. Besides, if it weren't for Emeril, this cookware might not have been possible. Emeril made sure that there were no cut corners, cheap materials or sour grapes.

~Corey123.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
Master Chef

But I can get the same encapsulated bottoms from a host of cookware makers for a fraction of the price. Tramontina is a good example.

Me, I'll stick with my cheap, heavy, well-seasoned Lodge Cast-Iron. It does everything well except backpacking.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
Cook

Cool Well you can't fail too bad with KA

KA is a good product all around. One thing I had noticed is that they are both stainless steel. Have you thought of teflon? Much easier to clean thats for sure. I myself don't use teflon much. I have a parrot and there is a gas that is given off from the stuff if it was to excessively overheat. I have stainless, though it is a challenge to clean many times.

I usually use cast iron and have used it for probably ten years or so. You had mentioned you were wondering which would be heavier. Well you can't go wrong with cast iron by a long shot here. It is very easy to clean, if you take care of it. "Cleaning" is a rather different word when you talk about cast iron. You do not "clean" cast iron with soap for instance. You season it before use and when you are done cooking you whip it clean. You could use steel wool a tad if you need and then let the pan sit on the stove for a bit with a new coat of oil. The key with cast iron is to make sure water does not sit on it (why you let it dry off on the burner to make sure it is free from water and have a coat of oil on them). As far as cost is involved cast iron is also as cheap as they come.

Not sure if you even considered this but I did not see a Wok in the pictures:) There are a lot of pans that could cludder my kitchen had I not had a Wok. Get a good carbon steel one and you will treasure it for a lifetime. Care is needed here because while getting a good carbon steel wok will be something to be treasured, getting a bad teflon wok will be pretty much the opposite and your spend double the amount of money in the process. And here again good = cheap I got mine at:
http://www.wokshop.com/

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
But I can get the same encapsulated bottoms from a host of cookware makers for a fraction of the price. Tramontina is a good example.

That's my point. You can pay a lot less for basically the same quality or pay a bit more for much better. The Emeril name adds $$$ which could be better spent or saved on the cookware itself. Emeril made the cookware possible to make money for Emeril.

And the case is even more blatent when it comes to his knives.