Which set is better (opinions please!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkeye16

Cook
I was trying to research some cookware and I came across this site and saw there was a wealth of information here so I thought I would join.

I have found (through due diligence) that both my family and my g/f have bought me cookware sets for Christmas and I was wondering which one would be recommended to keep around.

First one is a 10-pc Cuisinart Chefs Classic SS set
www .cooking. com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=202859

Second one is the hard to find 11-pc. Food Network Hard Anodized set

www .shoplocal. com/default.aspx?action=detailbroadreach&listingid=-2092330543&pretailerid=-99848

I can't find any reviews or other info about the FN set so I thought I would ask about a quality / durability comparison. If they are of equal quality I'll just keep the cheaper set and get something else with the other one. Thanks in advance!

Conrad

I was trying to research some cookware and I came across this site and saw there was a wealth of information here so I thought I would join.

I have found (through due diligence) that both my family and my g/f have bought me cookware sets for Christmas and I was wondering which one would be recommended to keep around.

Conrad

That's exactly how I found this great site, Conrad, researching cookware.

I don't even have to look at your choices. The answer is simple.
Your family will always be your family, but if you want to keep your girlfriend around, keep the set she gave you!

Hope this helps ;)

First off, welcome to the site!

Neither of those links worked for me. We would need more info on the FN set though, because that does not tell us who it is made by. It is marketed by FN, but it could be any number of manufacturers.

I would probably say to stick with the Cuisinart Chefs Classic SS set without knowing any other info though. Well that is until I read pacanis' response. Pacanis actually gave you the most valuable piece of information you are likely to get in this thread :LOL:

Link to Cuisinart ~ I have this set and love it. Good quality and works well.
Link to Food Network ~ this set is very heavy and if you have arthritis or hand troubles I would advise against it.

GB ~ they had spaces in the links. I removed the spaces and it took me to the page. Must be from a site that doesn't allow links like you do here.

Your question re-awakens the stainless steel vs. anodized aluminum debate.

Both sets look reasonable good. I would expect either to give you good service. It often boils down to individual prefference. I prefer SS as it is generally more durable and dishwasher safe. Anodized aluminum finishes can get scratched or damaged by diswashers, exposing raw aluminum.

Also, as a guy, I prefer shiny metal things.

Welcome to DC

Does your family and girlfriend know this Conrad??? Wow! I wouldn't wanna see hurt feelings over some pots and pans...for anyone. That would be my first/number one concern.

Thanks everyone. This helped a lot. The links had spaces because you have to have 4+ posts to post links :)

After reading through the other discussions I came to the conclusion that Anodized might be more durable and a little more stick resistant. That with it being just Food Network (not RR or any of the other cooks) I thought it might be comparable / better than Cuisinart. Plus it has glass lids and an extra steamer insert.

I think I am going to stick with the SS set because I like the look and I have some rebates I can send in with it (Free 6" Sankotu & Whistling Tea Kettle) Now I just have to dive in and find some good things to make ;) Thanks again!

Edit: Yes they both know Bob. I got the set from my g/f since we won't be seeing eachother another weekend before Christmas. I told my Dad when talking with him and he mentioned they got me a set too. Just wanted to make sure before opening either one of them!

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I thought it was only the guys at my house!!!
Also, welcome to DC, Conrad. I personally like the stainless steel, too. I'm a sloppy cook and I get lots of crud burned onto the sides and bottom of the anodized aluminum pieces I have that I can't seem to get rid of. With stainless steel, there's nothing a little bar keeper's friend can handle.

Your question re-awakens the stainless steel vs. anodized aluminum debate.

Both sets look reasonable good. I would expect either to give you good service. It often boils down to individual prefference. I prefer SS as it is generally more durable and dishwasher safe. Anodized aluminum finishes can get scratched or damaged by diswashers, exposing raw aluminum.

Welcome to DC

As usual, I agree with Andy. You can't put anodized in the dishwasher, which is a complete nonstarter for me.

Jenny -- Cedar Rapids Washington, class of XXXX.

As usual, I agree with Andy. You can't put anodized in the dishwasher, which is a complete nonstarter for me.

Jenny -- Cedar Rapids Washington, class of XXXX.

Well, neither should be a problem as I usually handwash everything but dishes and silverware... and my few non stick items.

Conrad -- Valley HS, class of 2002 :smartass:

You asked which specific set is better, so I'd have to say the hard anodized aluminum set, just because the entire pot or pan is made of aluminum, which will disperse the heat evenly throughout the entire surface of the pan, while the Cuisinart stainless only has an aluminum disc in the bottom, which means that the heat distribution will not be the same on the sides as it is on the bottom.

:ohmy:You are a guy.... :huh:who washes dishes..... :blink:by hand:bounce:?!?!?!?! Feel like moving to Florida?:in_love:

I'm a guy who does dishes, by hand, simply because I can easily run out of flatware long before I can fill the dishwasher with dishes and glasses.

No, I hate Florida. Too humid and too many bugs. How do you feel about California?

I like both, would let me drive my summer car year around instead of just 3 seasons :cool:

Thanks for the opinion Caine. Does that REALLY matter if I have an electric stove though? I was under the impression that mattered mostly for gas because the flames could reach the side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom