"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Which stock pot should I keep?

Hello, I was @ T.J. Maxx & got an All-Clad stock pot for $70, regular $130, & a Caphalon 8 QT. for $80 regular $160. I think the Caph. is "Caph. One" & the AC is black/dark grey outside stainless & slightly (maybe 6 QT.s) smaller then the Caph. Any suggestions on which oneI should keep? ...The Caph. doesn't appear to be non-stick.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

You said the Calphalon is 8 quarts, but how big is the AC?

For a stockpot I would not want non stick. I would go with whichever one is bigger as well as whichever is the narrower and taller one. Both brands are great.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I second everything GB said. Congratulations on your bargain success.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
Cook

Neither sound like they are non-stick (or is Calphalon One NS?). I would not get a stockpot less than 8qt. I have an 8qt pot that has rarely left my stovetop I use it SO much for everything. I also have 12 and 14 qt. pots for really big jobs.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Stock Pots

Thanks for the input. The all-Clad is not marked, but when put up against the Caph. it is slightly smaller........now which one,...I know they are both good brands..........Thanks Again for everyones advice!
Old 05-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
Head Chef

I see no reason why a stockpot should be nonstick. I think the nonstick coating would wear quickly over time. Why nonstick a water pot?

My old pot is 20 qts. It's basically good for keeping things from running over when you have more than enough. If my ingredients are simmering and cooking in different pots, the grand finale is putting them together in the large pot. This would be soups, stews and pastas.

Keep the pot that you like best as to color and design. You describe them both as looking very nice. It's better to have some nice pieces of cookware than to have a bunch of odd ball pots and pans and an old 20 qt. pot.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Stock Pots

After looking @ both pots again, I see the AC is a LTD edition, & Originally went for $265 or so(some crazy price like that)......I think I'll stick w/ this one......cooked 6 ears of corn broken in half & worked well.........Caph is nice but I think it's going back............LOVE this forum.....THANKS again!!
Old 05-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I don't know. Whether the pot is a limited edition or not, would not influence my decision to keep it. In my nearly 50 years of cooking, I learned long ago that when I have a choice between two pots, one of which is a bit larger, I always choose the largest one.

If you have any doubt about the sizes of the two, fill the smallest-appearing one with water and pour the water into the larger pot. It could turn out they are close to the same size by volume.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:33 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleysaunt
Neither sound like they are non-stick (or is Calphalon One NS?)...
The Calphalon One line does offer a NS finish. The Calphalon One Infused Anodized is stick resistant. Calphalon One Nonstick is NS.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #10
Cook

The All-Clad is their LTD series, meaning simply it's gray anodized on the exterior, and stainless on the interior. LTD is just the name for that particular style of their cookware, not that its a limited edition model. I have a couple of LTD pieces, and they are good, heavy duty pieces. Calphalon One is a fairly recent (maybe two years) newcomer to the Calphalon line - supposedly it's made with a stick-resistant outer coating, although the pan I tested still stuck pretty well. Enjoy the new stock pot!