"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #11
Master Chef

Wow, yeah, they are expensive. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy the Le Cruset.
I'll just try to make the recipe in my T-fal pan.

Thanks everyone!!

Old 11-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #12
Cook

Just my two cents, TG. Our wok is going on 20 years - picked it up from a hawker at a state fair and we do treat it like cast iron.

In our last house, we splurged and put in a Jenn-Air with castiron burners (never again). The salesman told us a wok wouldn't work on it and he was right. So, we purchased a single-burner electric coil and our round-bottom wok has always done great on it. I agree about the flat-bottoms, but we've always been happy with the results. Now we're back to a "regular" electric stove and the coils seem to be OK with it. Also, some woks come with a heat ring that may help radiate heat outward and up the wok's sides on an electric burner.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:15 PM   #13
Master Chef

Thanks texasblue!!
Old 11-20-2005, 10:19 AM   #14
Senior Cook

While you probably will have your wok by the time you read this, my two cents worth.... I have , i think it is the 12" lodge cast iron wok. It has a flat bottom, and I love it. And i use it on a electric stove. I am the first too it admit that I may well be the least expierenced cook in here, but my results with it are tasty enough for me to keep trying....
And the lodge wok is pretty cheap
Old 11-20-2005, 01:15 PM   #15
Master Chef

The only thing with the cast iron, I can't use it on my glass top stove. The iron scratches the surface too bad.
I decided to wait until next week to decide what to get, that way, maybe I will have more opinions too on what kind to get.
I really appreciate everyones replys, it's helped a lot.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #16
Master Chef

A good wok is a great multi-purpose pan, that is the vessels real strength. I've used mine for everything from omlets to stir-fries, to boiling pasta, to making gravies. I've even used it for making cobler-style deserts. But everything I can make in my wok, I can make in other cooking vessels.

A good stainless frying pan is great for making stir-fries, and will distribute the heat better than will a wok on an electric stove. But the bottom must be either encapsulated with aluminum or copper, or the pan must be multi-layerd with aluminum or copper to distribute the heat evenly accross the cooking surface. The encapsulated bottom pans are inexpensive an work very well for this.

The problem with the wok and an electric stove is that the heat source is relegated to the bottom of the pan. If you have a flat-bottomed wok, this means that the sides are going to cool rapidly with distance from the bottom. With a round-bottome wok, you get only the benefit of radient heat, and that is limited to the area described by the ring on which it sits.

With a gas flame, the hot gas gives up some of its energy where it first touches the metal, but then flows up the sides to heat the rest of the wok. So your cooking surface is enlarged. And yet, cool enough at the upper levels to keep food warm and avoid overcooking. The wok is also deep and can be used with oil for deep frying, or water for boiling. Again, since with gas the whole surface is heated, the food gets cooked a bit faster.

True wok cooking results in metal that is glowing. The food must be kept moving and cannot sit for any length of time or it will quickly burn. Wok cooking is time intensive as it limits what you can do at any given time.

In my opinion, cooking with a wok on an electric stove is not time or cost effective. You can do better with specialty pans like a saucier or frying pan.

That's my humble opinion anyway. Hope it helps.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:10 AM   #17
Master Chef

Thanks Goodweed!
Old 11-21-2005, 11:25 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I remember that guy on the infomercial on tv BT referred to.

Stir-frying is a healthy quick way to go in preparing food. I had a wok, that I inadvertantly soaked in hot soapy water - big mistake - it rusted out and I threw it out.

IMO, get a small amount of oil hot enough in a regular skillet, and you can stir fry anything. Just chop the veggies, meat, chicken etc. in small bite-size pieces and add oil sparingly, as needed.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

to me, as an asian from Taiwan, we use wok for everything and I mean everything. the electric woks will not get the high temperature for wok-cooking like already said but the key is if you already got electric ones, let it preheat to the right temperature. It might take longer and won't have the same as the real wok but it will be close.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #20
Master Chef

Thank you Mish and kjchen!
I really appreciate everyones help!!