Which wok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, get a small amount of oil hot enough in a regular skillet, and you can stir fry anything. Just chop the veggies, meat, chicken etc. in small bite-size pieces and add oil sparingly, as needed.

a tip for if you want to stir fry meat and veggies, stir your meat first until it's like almost done then take them out, that way, you can use a paper-towl to get rid of the extra oil and jsut keep a little oil in the pan/wok, that way, you still got the heat for the pan/wok and then put all your veggie and seasoning into the pan/wok then the meat and give them a quick stir and your to taste.
another tip if you like stir fry veggies, get a light sesame oil (not the dark one), after everything is done, drizzle a alittle on top of your stir-fry dish, if will taste really good.

Last edited:
We also use a skillet, we have one which is quite large with fairly high edges. This works great for stir fries. The important thing is you will have enough space in the cooking vessel to toss the food around without worrying about throwing them outside while cooking them with high heat. If you have a skillet/frying pan that can perform this, it can do the job of woks, or at least they are good enough for me...

What is a wok? It is driving me crazy! If we have one of those I have never seen it.

Cameron

Ah! I see. I think we have one of those I am not sure though.

Cameron

I completely agree here!

buckytom said:
tg, electric woks do not get hot enough to do a good stir fry, so i would go with a real (carbon steel ) wok.

you have to care for it like cast iron, but it's worth it.

i have one of the original ones that were sold by that moustached english guy on one of the first infomercials on tv, from about 25 or 30 years ago. it's still going strong. (the wok. i don't know about the english guy)

I completely agree here! Having a good wok is a shear joy to use and having a cheap one... oy.... don't go there. And when I mean cheap I am not talking about $$. Not by a long shot. Carbon steel is the way to go here. Take a look at any good Asian restruant and see what they are using. I got mine at:
http://www.wokshop.com/

They are incredibly helpful and you will have a good wok for your life.

Just got our new wok from wokshop yesterday.

It looks really nice - I'll probably work on seasoning it per the instructions tonight. The best part of it so far though was all the newspaper it came packed in - it was all in Chinese from Chinatown in San Francisco!

John

texasgirl said:
That's cool ronjohn! So, what did it say?????:mrgreen:

If I had to guess - I think it said "This paper is printed with a special ink, designed to come off all over the hands of anyone who orders a wok from a place in Chinatown and is amused by the paper printed in Chineses it come packed with..." :rolleyes:

John

ronjohn55 said:
If I had to guess - I think it said "This paper is printed with a special ink, designed to come off all over the hands of anyone who orders a wok from a place in Chinatown and is amused by the paper printed in Chineses it come packed with..." :rolleyes:

John

:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom