"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #31
Executive Chef

The country club I used to work at up in MI had some "home" pans in their inventory. These were T-Fal aluminum skillets with a non-stick finish. They were primarily used for saute action stations out in the dining room, and ocassionally back in the kitchen. These pans usually only lasted a year before they started loosing their non-stick coating, or the handle would start melting. It was mostly using these pans on the commercial range back in the kitchen that caused all this.

Most of you all are only thinking about the standard 10" saute pans that are used on the saute line. There are also 6", 8", 12", and even some 14 - 15" saute pans. The 6" and 8" pans, were I currently work, are all nonstick, but the nonstick is wearing off. We also have many larger pots, from "saucepans" that hold about 2 gallons, to stockpots that hold 60 qt, "roundeau" pans that cover two burners, and roasting pans that can hold a couple really LARGE turkeys, or three whole prime ribs. You just won't find pans that big available for home use.

I won't even get into the topic of tilt skillets, steam-jacket kettles, etc.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #32
Executive Chef

I've seen a couple shows with the chef's using pans as you describe. A couple times I have seen the All Clad logo under the handle. They just don't polish them like us home cooks do.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #33
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
They just don't polish them like us home cooks do.
They don't pay form them like home cooks do, either. All-Clad supplies them free fer nuthin. That is why YOU pay so much for the privledge of owning All-Clad, and why most restaurants buy cheap aluminium pots and pans from the restaurant supply store.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #34
Cook

Quote:
I've seen a couple shows with the chef's using pans as you describe. A couple times I have seen the All Clad logo under the handle. They just don't polish them like us home cooks do.

True - companies are not dumb and they know that brand-placement by "pro's" (use that term loosely) on TV means better sales.

I know Bobby Flay uses Viking everything - even his pans are Viking..

Iron Chef America's Kitchen pans are All Clad.

etc..etc..
Old 08-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
True - companies are not dumb and they know that brand-placement by "pro's" (use that term loosely) on TV means better sales.

I know Bobby Flay uses Viking everything - even his pans are Viking..

Iron Chef America's Kitchen pans are All Clad.

etc..etc..
Quote:
advertisement techniques at their best... it's the american way.

those advertising dollars pay those salaries, etc.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Every time you see a brand name in a movie it's an indication someone paid for it. It's not a coincidence that the star is drinking a Coke or Starbucks or driving a Ford.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Every time you see a brand name in a movie it's an indication someone paid for it. It's not a coincidence that the star is drinking a Coke or Starbucks or driving a Ford.

Indeed!!

I always follow the money! It answers a lot of questions!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:41 AM   #38
Cook

It's marketing. People see the iron chef shows and their amazing dishes. Naturally, viewers want to know how to make them, so there's no better time than to use that the chefs use ______. Restaurants can buy materials in bulk so they can get lower prices. They use aluminum pots and pans due to quick heat transfer, not so much for the looks. They have to worry about purchasing other supplies, other than spending a fortune on pots and pans. Bigger restaurants don't face that problem as much since they can afford more.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #39
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by llvllagical_llkook View Post
It's marketing. People see the iron chef shows and their amazing dishes. Naturally, viewers want to know how to make them, so there's no better time than to use that the chefs use ______. Restaurants can buy materials in bulk so they can get lower prices. They use aluminum pots and pans due to quick heat transfer, not so much for the looks. They have to worry about purchasing other supplies, other than spending a fortune on pots and pans. Bigger restaurants don't face that problem as much since they can afford more.
I've used both restaurant pans and the nice Calphalon Tri-ply set we have (which has an aluminum core) and will tell you they heat up equally as fast...
Old 08-25-2007, 01:50 AM   #40
Cook

As long as it works regardless of its appearence, I don't see why it should matter. If it's an old, 15 year old pan that looks rather dingy yet cooks amazing, why toss it out for something that cooks just as good but is shiny?