"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Windsor vs Saucier

Now that I've had a chance to test drive the Mauviel M'cook for a while I have to say I'm very impressed with it's performance.

I find myself still using an ancient 1 qt saucier that I didn't replace in the initial purchase and I would like to retire it. It doesn't perform well on my induction range. Works but it's not as efficient on the burner as the Mauviel pans.

I can't decide which one to buy.
The choices are:

Which would you choose and why. I'm leaning toward the Windsor only because I've never owned one. Is there a good reason to choose one over the other or is it strictly a personal preference?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think the saucier is sexier, my only input as I have used neither of them.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never used either, either (lol). What do you use it for, primarily? If it's for sauces, I think the rounded shape of the saucier would work better.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've never used either, either (lol). What do you use it for, primarily? If it's for sauces, I think the rounded shape of the saucier would work better.
+1 Much easier to get everything on the bottom.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a saucier and use it a lot. I like that there is no 'corner' on the bottom so spoons and spats can do a complete scraping/stirring. I also like the wider shape.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Saucier looks like it would handle a whisk better for sauces, that would be my choice!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Thanks for all the input. Saucier it is. I'll order in the next couple of days.

I read a little about the difference between the two pans.

The saucier's shape encourages a rolling boil toward the center of the pan. The windsor's shape is supposed to keep liquids at the center of the pan smooth concentrating the roll at the edges.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I have both. Windsors are good for reductions as they are designed to have a large surface area thus increasing evaporation.

Sauciers have rounded edges on the bottom so they are great for stirring as there is no sharpe edge at the bottom and food is less likely to stick in the edge between the side and bottom.

If I had to choose ...... SAUCIER WINS

It does reductions just about as well (none of us will ever tell the difference) and immagine something the consistancy of mac & cheese .... much much easier to stir /mix / fold in the saucier than a windsor.