Wok - Carbon or Steel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinysmom

Assistant Cook
I need to buy a new wok because we got a new gas range and the instructions dictate that I cannot use my wok ring on the range due to possible carbon monoxide danger. (?) So, I need to switch to a flat bottom wok. The wok I have used for years is stainless steel. I love it because it's easy to clean and does not rust.
I have heard that carbon steel is better. So, is it stainless or carbon steel? Please help!

Carbon monoxide danger? Does your wok ring have the little venting holes? If so, I think you're fine.

IMO, if you like your stainless steel...stick with that.

I've cooked with gas all my life...Used a wok with or without a fire ring for 30+ years...I don't see the problem!!!! ~~~~ Anyway, I personally prefer carbon steel over stainless steel in a wok. HTH

Fun!

I use carbon steel, but you asked about you not me. You are used to the stainless. As far as the gas goes...I have a round bottom wok on a gas stove with a wok ring and no issue. I have carbon monoxide sensors in the house. They've never gone off.

We use an ~18" carbon steel wok that we purchase in 1985 in NYC's Chinatown. We used it with the ring for 10 years on a gas stove. Since 1995 we've been using it on a calrod element electric stove. An employee of the Chinese restaurant that I used to frequent took me into their kitchen to see the burners that they used to heat their woks. The burner elements were large rings akin to the burner on a hot water heater. The gas supply to the burners was controlled by a foot pedal actuated valve and the flame was at least 9" long.

For home use I think the major concern is migration of the high heat to the balance of the stove's surface. As far as the CO problem goes you should consider purchasing a CO detector.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm going to stick with my wok, use the ring and not worry about carbon monoxide.

Wok

I would invest in some carbon monoxide detectors, just to be on the safe side. They are really cheap and always a good idea.

I agree with getting some carbon monoxide detectors. They are good idea in any case. I think the stove manufacturer is just covering his bum with that warning.

I have use also a stainless steel wok (but i don't know if we have the same) and also, have a ring on my burner. i don't see any difference from it and this CO2. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom