Wok steaming question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
I finally went out and bought myself a wok today, and I know after each use you're supposed to oil it a bit after each use, my question is, is there any oils that are beter than others?

Also, it came with a little steamer basket, which I have no clue how to use... it comes in 2 parts, a lid and a bottom, i guess through which the steam comes? But what is my source of steam? Thanks in advance.

I have a plain steel wok, and I have to season after each use. I just use Crisco for that.

I used to have a bamboo steamer, with three levels. You place some water in the wok, cover, and bring it to a boil. While that is heating, arrange the food to be steamed in the steamer trays. Cover. When the water boils, remove the lid, and gently place the steamer basket into the pan. You don't want to much water in the pan, as the bottom level will flood, but you have to watch the water level, so the pan doesn't burn dry.

I love my wok and I don't get it out nearly often enough!

Crisco or any low flame point oils will dol. You don't want to use evoo or butter or lard. Hopefully your wok will be too hot to use those without smoking.

Good luck and let us know how your dishes turn out!

Thanks guys, I'm just used vegetable oil after I cooked last night, and it sounds like I can continue to just use that. Also, thanks for the tip on the basket. I made some Sesame Orange Beef with Vegetables last night. Not great, b/c I haven't stir fired in quite some time, but I have got to admit, it's SO nice to have a wok again. I use my woks more than any other pot or pan in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom