Wolfgang Puck S/S saute pan questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silver

Senior Cook
Pleasantaries - I hope to someday be able to contribute something rather than ask question ad infinitum. Someday. That aside...three questions...

I've been looking to round out my collection of cookware with a nice big stainless steel saute pan with a lid - something good for browning AND being able to throw it in the oven. Swung into my local favourite discount housewares store the other day and low and behold, what do I see? The very same Wolfgang Puck cookware that seems to often receive relatively high praise around these parts...including what appears to be a nice big saute pan.

11" or so across, glass tempered lid, labeled as an 11" Chicken Fryer on the bottom, $29.99 (which in my neck of the woods is a pretty good price). I picked it up.

1) Based on what I've seen online, this cookware is oven safe to 400*C. I'm not sure if that's high enough and I'm wondering if that's a function of the lid or if that's common of S/S cookware?

2) I was hoping to get a pan with about a 6L (or 6qt) capacity, more or less. I haven't unwrapped the WP pan yet to test it's capacity, but I figure I want somewhere around that size. I think that, based on diameter, it should be relatively close to that. Does that sound right to you guys or should I aim for something bigger? (I currently have a non-stick saute pan from my cookware set that holds about 3L or so - it's 9.5"/24cm across - and it's usually at uber capacity when I get going with something fun :rolleyes: )

I ask #2, not because I expect you guys to know about MY needs, but more to get your feelings on what sizes have been appropriate in your experience in the past.

3) Is the quality relatively decent? I'm in no position to be shelling out $100+ on tri-ply All-Clad style stuff at the moment, so encapsulated base/puck technology is likely where it's at for me at the moment unless you know of somewhere that I can get something way better for el-cheapo.

Thanks!

Look on Amazon for the pans you want. I think the pan you are describing has to be oven safe above 400*--maybe the lid? Good hunting.

Oh, also overstock.com

personally, if I were to buy encapsulated disc bottom cookware I'd probably go with Emerilware because Allclad "makes" it. Um...few recipes heading to your oven from the stove top are going to be over 450*, but that's where I'd want to be.

Now all that said, you paid $30 for the pan? well if it lasts a year or two of good service before it comes apart or whatever, you still got a bargain. Pans that size of top quality are in the $350 range and up.

An 11" diameter saute pan is closer to 3-3.5 quart capacity. A 6 quart pan is more like 14"-15" in diameter.

There is good reason to go for the larger size, even if you're just cooking for two. Dishes with sauces and other ingredients along with a meat will need the extra space. If you're just sauteing a couple of chjicken breasts or pork chops, the smaller one will do.

Actually, I have both sizes. For $30 I'd buy it regardless. I bought a similar, fully clad one from Calphalon years ago when it was a promotional item. I don't like the All-Clad 6-quart saute because it's not as deep as some other brands.

Last edited:
I figured the $30 was what made it worth it regardless, heh. It's a pretty good price.

I've found my smaller pan noted above is overstuffed when I cook for two, so I'm hoping this one will be okay, but it will really limit us to cooking for two, I'm guessing. I put them side by side and the difference is pretty big. (see the pic below)

It might sound like I'm answering my own question...for $30, it should be good for now if the quality is decent. I'll just keep an eye out for a bigger one as well ;)

Attachments

• 2007_0119Image0007 (Small).JPG
    2007_0119Image0007 (Small).JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 297

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom