"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
...And in fact that's why you have to remove the stainless steel racks, because the high heat would discolor them otherwise.
Discolored, yes, but squeaky clean.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
Master Chef

I have a friend who was a terrible cook.

She was baking a cake once and mistakenly set her oven to "clean" instead of to bake.

The cake caught on fire of course and the oven was locked...

She called the fire department and they unplugged her oven (luckily it was electric) but got her chops busted big time by the firemen.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
By the way, I'm just amazed with self cleaning ovens. My Wolf electric convection oven self cleans at 500F (they say) and a 4 hour cleaning cycle which I'm sure includes up to maybe 2 hours of cool down. Recently I had neglected cleaning my oven and there was baked on stuff all over the place, enough that I know I was insulting my fine oven, but I went ahead and removed the racks and ran it through the cleaning cycle, and when I opened the door I was amazed so see practically nothing except some grey powder. Still being lazy and now in a hurry I just replaced the racks and cooked dinner.
You should see the great cleaning job it does on a pizza stone!

It will also completely strip cast iron cookware down to bare metal, if you are so inclined.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I paid somewhat over $4,000 for my Wolf SO30F/S and there is no way I'm going to do anything like putting some foreign object in the oven during a cleaning cycle.

By the way, I called Wolf customer service again and told customer support the burning cake story, asked if there was anyway way I could interrupt a cleaning cycle on my SO30F/S, and she said, "Yes, just hit the 'off' button. The door will stay locked until the internal temperature falls below 300F."

By the way, another solution if your oven won't switch off, and if you can't get to the plug (like if it's built-in like mine) just go turn off the circuit breaker.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
By the way, I called Wolf customer service again and told customer support the burning cake story, asked if there was anyway way I could interrupt a cleaning cycle on my SO30F/S, and she said, "Yes, just hit the 'off' button. The door will stay locked until the internal temperature falls below 300F."

My friend's cake fire happened about 25 years ago and her stove was *not* a Wolf

I'm guessing if she could have turned it off the firemen would have done that first.

She loved to bake boxed cakes but something always went wrong. Once she forgot the vegetable oil and just poured it on top of the cake halfway through baking it.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
My friend's cake fire happened about 25 years ago and her stove was *not* a Wolf

I'm guessing if she could have turned it off the firemen would have done that first.

She loved to bake boxed cakes but something always went wrong. Once she forgot the vegetable oil and just poured it on top of the cake halfway through baking it.

Some people should not be allowed to play with fire...
Old 05-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #17
Executive Chef

There are people who can bake and people who cannot. Unfortunately some in the latter group are not aware of it.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Discolored, yes, but squeaky clean.
I read that leaving the racks in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle can warp them, making it difficult to slide them in and out of the shelves.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I read that leaving the racks in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle can warp them, making it difficult to slide them in and out of the shelves.
Decades ago (the 1970s), when we had our first self-cleaning oven, the instruction manual said the shelves would discolor and be hard to slide in and out. It recommended a light coating of oil for lubrication on the two ends of the shelf that slid over the oven tracks in the oven. That has worked to perfection ever since.

I have not experienced any warping.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #20
Executive Chef

With all the cost of my Wolf convection oven I'm not doing anything the manufacturer doesn't recommend.