Woll titanium coated pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilielbe

Assistant Cook
As we all know, if you allow oil to burn in a Woll pan it ceases utterly to be non-stick. I have discovered an effective way to clean burned-on oil from a Woll pan and all it needs is an electric oven with a 250 degree self cleansing programme.

First of all, switch the oven on, set it for 250 degrees Centigrade and allow it perhaps 15 or 20 minutes to reach that temperature. Meanwhile, wash the pan with washing-up liquid and an ordinary plastic pan scrubber to remove as much of the burned on oil as you can.

Remove the plastic handle from the pan and place the pan in the hot oven. Leave the pan in the oven for an hour. Then switch the oven off and allow it to cool. When the pan is cool enough to be handled with bare hands, give it another wash with washing-up liquid and the plastic pan scrubber.

After this treatment, you will find the non-stick characteristics of the pan almost completely restored.

lilielbe

You are getting pretty close to dangerous temperatures. DuPont says, "The recommended maximum use temperature for cookware with Teflon® nonstick coating is 500°F (260°C)." (link)

I wouldn't get Teflon anywhere near those maximum temperatures without some food or liquid in the utensil.

Just noting, your self clean cycle may be stated as 250C but how accurate is that? And also, different coatings have different maximum temperatures. I have no idea what material your Woll uses. Maybe it's good to 250C, maybe not, and your oven may go higher than stated.

By the way, I'm just amazed with self cleaning ovens. My Wolf electric convection oven self cleans at 500F (they say) and a 4 hour cleaning cycle which I'm sure includes up to maybe 2 hours of cool down. Recently I had neglected cleaning my oven and there was baked on stuff all over the place, enough that I know I was insulting my fine oven, but I went ahead and removed the racks and ran it through the cleaning cycle, and when I opened the door I was amazed so see practically nothing except some grey powder. Still being lazy and now in a hurry I just replaced the racks and cooked dinner.

This self cleaning is really great! All these years I had never known that all my hours with my head stuck in an oven with Easy Off could have been avoided by getting a good stove. And convection? If I had known how valuable convection cooking is I would have bought a convection oven decades ago.

Woll Titanium Coated Pans

Hi Gregg,

I think you may be confusing two different things here.

The Woll pans to which I referred are coated in titanium - that's a metal. No 'Teflon' is used on these pans.

Du Pont's 'Teflon' is a plastic (probably PTFE) and as such a totally different product.

lilielbe.

Yes I guess I was confused. I never heard of metal non-stick coatings except for cast iron. :)

If the manufacturer says they can get that hot then you're good to go.

I'm still blown away with the auto-clean feature in my Wolf convection oven. Last week the oven was really horribly messy, one cleaning cycle and it wasn't even worth the effort to clean out what was left. If I get in the mood I'll wipe it down with a damp rag to finish the job.

I can save my Easy Off for cleaning balky pans. :)

you are not confused.

"Woll cookware uses the tradition PTFE in our diamond and titanium
reinforced nonstick cooking surfaces."

that's what their customer service had to say in July 2013.

the Woll pans are not titanium. they are aluminum with a sputtered titanium coating on the interior.

Swiss Diamond says they use real diamonds and PTFE.

the sputtering produces a sandpaper like surface, the voids are filled in with PTFE aka Teflon.

the sputtering "high points" are supposed to "protect" the softer PTFE from being scraped / damaged.

your mileage may vary.

Sounds like an interesting cooking surface.

In that case, according to DuPont Teflon/PTFE should not be heated past 260C, and the OP's stove self cleans at 250C so that's a pretty narrow safety band.

I think it's each person's call whether they would want to do that. Particularly if you don't know how accurate the oven's self clean temperature is measured.

While I recognize all ovens can be different, a temperature of 250ºC is not a self-cleaning temperature. It's barely hot enough to cook pizza. Typically, a SC oven on the clean cycle runs at around 900ºF/500ºC

yes, 250'C is not self cleaning.

not to mention that every self-cleaning oven I've encountered in USA and Germany locks the door once the temp gets to about 300'F/150'C - so the whole idea is rather suspect.

While I recognize all ovens can be different, a temperature of 250ºC is not a self-cleaning temperature. It's barely hot enough to cook pizza. Typically, a SC oven on the clean cycle runs at around 900ºF/500ºC

250C = 482F

I roast chicken at 450 and preheat to 500 for no-knead bread.

But there's no way I'd put any coated nonstick cookware in an oven that hot.

I just called Wolf and they told me my oven rises to about 850F before shutting off the heating elements and probably rises another 50 degrees or so before it begins cooling off.

So the answer she gave me is Wolf cleans at a maximum of 900F. Quite enough to destroy practically anything. And in fact that's why you have to remove the stainless steel racks, because the high heat would discolor them otherwise.

I have a friend who was a terrible cook.

She was baking a cake once and mistakenly set her oven to "clean" instead of to bake.

The cake caught on fire of course and the oven was locked...

She called the fire department and they unplugged her oven (luckily it was electric) but got her chops busted big time by the firemen.

By the way, I'm just amazed with self cleaning ovens. My Wolf electric convection oven self cleans at 500F (they say) and a 4 hour cleaning cycle which I'm sure includes up to maybe 2 hours of cool down. Recently I had neglected cleaning my oven and there was baked on stuff all over the place, enough that I know I was insulting my fine oven, but I went ahead and removed the racks and ran it through the cleaning cycle, and when I opened the door I was amazed so see practically nothing except some grey powder. Still being lazy and now in a hurry I just replaced the racks and cooked dinner.

You should see the great cleaning job it does on a pizza stone!

It will also completely strip cast iron cookware down to bare metal, if you are so inclined.

I paid somewhat over $4,000 for my Wolf SO30F/S and there is no way I'm going to do anything like putting some foreign object in the oven during a cleaning cycle.

By the way, I called Wolf customer service again and told customer support the burning cake story, asked if there was anyway way I could interrupt a cleaning cycle on my SO30F/S, and she said, "Yes, just hit the 'off' button. The door will stay locked until the internal temperature falls below 300F."

By the way, another solution if your oven won't switch off, and if you can't get to the plug (like if it's built-in like mine) just go turn off the circuit breaker. :)

By the way, I called Wolf customer service again and told customer support the burning cake story, asked if there was anyway way I could interrupt a cleaning cycle on my SO30F/S, and she said, "Yes, just hit the 'off' button. The door will stay locked until the internal temperature falls below 300F."

My friend's cake fire happened about 25 years ago and her stove was *not* a Wolf :)

I'm guessing if she could have turned it off the firemen would have done that first.

She loved to bake boxed cakes but something always went wrong. Once she forgot the vegetable oil and just poured it on top of the cake halfway through baking it.

My friend's cake fire happened about 25 years ago and her stove was *not* a Wolf :)

I'm guessing if she could have turned it off the firemen would have done that first.

She loved to bake boxed cakes but something always went wrong. Once she forgot the vegetable oil and just poured it on top of the cake halfway through baking it.

Some people should not be allowed to play with fire...

I read that leaving the racks in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle can warp them, making it difficult to slide them in and out of the shelves.

Decades ago (the 1970s), when we had our first self-cleaning oven, the instruction manual said the shelves would discolor and be hard to slide in and out. It recommended a light coating of oil for lubrication on the two ends of the shelf that slid over the oven tracks in the oven. That has worked to perfection ever since.

I have not experienced any warping.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom