"Xpress Redi-Set-Go"--is this cooker for real?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
i watch kathy mitchell cooking up yummy looking snacks, sandwiches, meals and desserts on this little appliance, and it has me wondering if it's for real. it sure looks like a very affordable and versatile cooker, but it also looks like it might fit into the category of too good to be true. does anyone have some first-hand knowledge about this gizmo? their advertisements are so tempting....

I had to look it up as I had no idea what it was.

To me it looks like a George Foreman grill without the ridged surfaces.

It's not going to do anything you couldn't do with regular cookware.

Most of these gizmos can be found on Amazon. I always go there first and read the reviews. Most of them turn out to be a "hunk of junk." :ohmy:

A quick Google of "xpress redi set go reviews": a lot of people like the gizmo, but hate the customer service. They get charged for all the inserts, recipes, whatever and have a fight to quit getting the stuff and getting charged monthly or every 60 days. Also complaints that for the advertised price, you don't get much included.

Here's the ABSOLUTE killer for me. And, sadly, you have to check for these things on Amazon or any site's reviews.

There are three listings on Amazon, one sold by Amazon, the other sold by two other outfits.

The one sold by Amazon means that Good Times sells them to Amazon for retailing. I'm sure that if they don't sell, Good Times loses. The review rating is high for this one. There are four reviews. Three of them are five-stars. When you look at all three of those, each reviewer has only ONE REVIEW. That's strongly suggests someone (nudge nudge wink wink) may be padding the reviews. What's the chances that the only only three good reviews are from people who have only posted one review of their Amazon purchases. The two-star review (product pretty much melted down rather dramatically) was posted by a user with many reviews to their credit. Therefor credible.

The other two listings' reviews were very bad. Of course, mass resellers like the people selling those two have many products up all the time and don't have time to pad their reviews. Even if nothing else was hinky, the lousy reviews would be enough to stay away from something where there are plenty of decent alternatives.

As I was reading these posts, a commercial came on for the space bag. So I looked up the reviews on Amazon. Thirty-eight that gave them a 5 star review, some with reservations after using duct tape on the plastic to cover tiny holes. And 41 gave them four or less stars including one star reviews. I am not interested in buying them. But I was curious about what rating they were getting.

I also looked up the ratings for the ceramic green saute' pan the other day. How nice. Two for the price of one and a free gift. Now if only the pan did what they say it does on TV.

The No No Hair removal. Dangerous. Burns the hair off and leaves a burn mark behind. Customer service is terrible. Just try to return one.

Slice-O-Matic food slicer. One five star, one star each for 4,3,2 stars and 16 with a one star rating. And one wanted to give it no stars.

I have yet to see any infomercial that was worth the air time.

I trust the Amazon ratings because some of them are really brutal. Amazon has a very broad base. If the product is good, they let you know that also. I think my favorite rating was the one with the shift lock on and the person just went down the line on the numbers keys after they called it a piece of crap. I forget what it was for, but I was almost on the floor laughing. Why don't you just tell us what you really think. :pig:

So I was curiously Googling for some extra uses for this device, as I own it, and stumbled upon this page. Because the comments are only a few months old, I thought I'd weigh in... since it looked like no one ever used the Redi Set Go.

I'm a college student. When I lived in the dorms AND when I lived in my own apartment, I used this almost every day. In the dorm, the kitchen was almost always being used and I had no interest in scaling a couple of floors carrying cooking supplies in order to make a meal, so my mother bought me this. At the apartment, I used it to make quick little things. I cooked pretty much everything in it, at some point.

A little info: this device is comprised of two small 8" diameter hot plates which can not be removed for necessary cleaning. The pro is that it cooks from the top as well as the bottom. The con is that I burned a lot of things in the bottom plate and had a hell of a time cleaning the splatter off the top plate. It comes with several different removable plates with different sized compartments; like a bunch of small multi-shaped muffin tins. This makes it easier when you're baking but I went a little outside the box and used the cooker without a plate so I could gain few precious millimeters to cook Hamburger Helper, stir fry, or Ramen. Yes, Ramen. The trick is to soak the noodles first. ;)

In my opinion, this isn't really for anyone but busy people or students. It's not a magic food-a-ma-jig. It's basically a portable hot plate. As in, you could, technically, use it to boil a small pot of water. And, I mean, you can't bake cookies in a George Foreman grill but you can cook meats in the Redi Set Go!

In any case, yes it does all of the things she says it does; heats up and cooks food. It bakes just fine, too.

I don't use it these days because it is nonstick and could kill my Cockatiel (and also I tend to avoid aluminum and teflon entirely.) And since then have grown a lot in my cooking. I guess call it a gateway into the cooking world for up-and-coming adults. :rolleyes:

...the pizzas I made in that thing were fantastic, though.

We use one in our RV so we don't have to use the LP on the stove. It can be hard to clean, but the way to avoid that is to line the pan with foil. We usually use the divided pan insert to make it easier to clean. You *can* make mini muffins or sliders in it, but it will actually take longer than using an oven. Again, the main reason we would do that would be to save on LP.
It doesn't really replace your other cookware, but if you need to do something besides stand and watch eggs cook, you can set the timer and come back to it.

I actually have one of these, and I like it. Its just my husband and me so using this to make a cake or pizza is actually easier and cheaper than the oven. It has also helped save on our grocery bill because we only cook what we want so there aren't any leftovers and we don't waste as much food.

I could watch that Cathy Mitchell informertial for the Ready Set Go with that clueless male sidekick of hers all day long!!

Back
Top Bottom