"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-12-2015, 05:36 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Ah...alas, I don't have a barbecue grill either. Thanks for your post anyway.
See if a friend has one and go to their place to cook the skillet. Promise to cook them a meal/dinner in exchange. You'll both win.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #12
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
See if a friend has one and go to their place to cook the skillet. Promise to cook them a meal/dinner in exchange. You'll both win.
Actually, I just read another thread on cast iron skillets and it said to bake it at Mk. 7/425oC for one hour...guess that should burn off any ingrained debris to allow for it to be more easily cleaned? Then you use a scourer on it or would that scratch it?

Old 10-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

It would take a harder metal to scratch cast iron. Not sure what you mean by "scourer" - is that a plastic scrubbie or something made of metal like a Brillo pad?

In any case, after baking it, the residue should wash off very easily and then it's will need to be re-seasoned.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
Senior Cook

They make a chainmail scrubber for cast iron.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...er%2Caps%2C306
Old 10-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Actually, I just read another thread on cast iron skillets and it said to bake it at Mk. 7/425oC for one hour...guess that should burn off any ingrained debris to allow for it to be more easily cleaned? Then you use a scourer on it or would that scratch it?
425C = 797F. That's self cleaning heat. running the oven's self cleaning cycle with cast iron in it will burn off everything. All the dirt and seasoning will be gone. You will be left with a naked piece of cast iron ready for seasoning (in a much cooler oven)
Old 10-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
425C = 797F. That's self cleaning heat. running the oven's self cleaning cycle with cast iron in it will burn off everything. All the dirt and seasoning will be gone. You will be left with a naked piece of cast iron ready for seasoning (in a much cooler oven)
Oops..that was a typo...meant 425oF.

As mentioned, previously I don't have a self cleaning oven but now have enough info on how to clean it.

Cast iron frying pans are very hard to buy in UK shops now (I don't shop online)...it's all ceramic now which seem to have bad reviews and don't interest me.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Oops..that was a typo...meant 425oF...

I don't think a CI skillet will get clean @ 450F no matter how long you leave it in there.

That said, you don't need to remove all the seasoning and start over with a naked pan. Use sandpaper to smooth out the surface, removing any surface irregularities of caked on crud. Then coat it with a thin layer of fat and bake @350F for an hour. Let it cool in the oven and you're good to go.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
They make a chainmail scrubber for cast iron.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...er%2Caps%2C306
Weird. We've been doing great cleaning cast iron with the free plastic scraper that came with my Pampered Chef stoneware baking dishes.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
[COLOR=Purple]Oops..that was a typo...meant 425oF.
That's pretty much what I said earlier: Heat your oven as high as it will go. Mine goes to 550F. That should burn off anything on the pan.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #20
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't think a CI skillet will get clean @ 450F no matter how long you leave it in there.

That said, you don't need to remove all the seasoning and start over with a naked pan. Use sandpaper to smooth out the surface, removing any surface irregularities of caked on crud. Then coat it with a thin layer of fat and bake @350F for an hour. Let it cool in the oven and you're good to go.
Thanks. I will try this.