Yet another cast iron question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannon821

Assistant Cook
Hi guys! Im new to DC but have been lurking for awhile. Ive searched all topics about Cast Irons and my answer wasnt answered so here I am!!

I was recently given a cast iron 10in I dont think its a good brand name but,thought Id try it out anyway. I seasoned it with vegetable oil at 300 for an hour. When I took it out and let it cool to room temp it was sticky to the touch. This is my 1st cast iron ive owned not sure if this is how its supposed to feel. Ive used my mother in laws cast iron in the past and hers doesnt feel this way but hers is very very old...

Thanks in advance guys!!

That generally happens when you use too much oil. You might want to wash it with soap and try again.

I would recommend using crisco instead of veggie oil as veggie oil can go rancid.

Just get the pan warm then wipe on a think film of criso, making sure to cover every surface inside and out. Put it in the oven upside down (so the fat does not pool up and cause the stickiness) and bake at 350 for an hour. Turn off the oven and let the pan cool overnight.

It's also a problem with oil that didn't cure fully. In my experience, I've found 300 too low a temperature for seasoning cast iron.

Here's a rambling FAQ that discusses a high heat seasoning method I prefer:
It's written for cast iron dutch ovens, but the seasoning details apply to all cast iron.

http://www.iliveoutdoors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143

thymeless

thymeless said:
It's also a problem with oil that didn't cure fully. In my experience, I've found 300 too low a temperature for seasoning cast iron.

I agree with thymeless. We cook with cast iron a lot, both in the kitchen and outdoors with camp Dutch ovens. We've found the high temp seasoning method (450°F) gives us the best results.

Thanks, Im going to redo it now with crisco at 350 for an hour upside down!!! I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

when properly seasoned, it will turn black. That's why I like the higher heat methods than 300/350 degrees.

thymeless

I season mine in either a 450 - 475 degree oven, with all of the downstairs windows open (creates a lot of smoke), or outside over charcoal. This gives me a coating that is nearly impervious to acidic ingredients, and creates an almost stick-free surface. I can place an egg, or even a piece of cheese onto theh hot pan that has a light film of oil on it and the egg food just slides around. The only thing that sticks to it is burnt sugar. And I have yet to find any cooking surface that meltened sugar won't adhere to.

And though it isn't necessary to season aluminum cookwear, it does make it easier to use, but definitely uglier. I seasoned my aluminum - camp cookwear and it is as easy to use as my cast iron, for light cooking jobs. And, it is now non-reactive with acidic foods because of the patina.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

shannon821 said:
Well..its not sticky anymore but does have a yellow tint to it.

This will fade to black after use. I have trouble with the lids remaiming yellowish because they are not exposed to the direct heating. It will all equal out in the end! You will end up loving it more than any other pan! Crisco is the best, I like the coating it leaves, almost like a mirror!

Back
Top Bottom