Yet another Cast Iron Skillet question- or 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quicker Thinker Upper

Assistant Cook
Sorry guys, I'm new to the whole cast iron thing. So far I really like it, especially the no-cleaning part :ROFLMAO: Well, I should really say "minimal cleaning" shouldn't I?

Anyway, after I cook in my cast iron skillet, i wipe out the inside with a paper towel and water. I then wipe some veggie oil on the inside, also using a paper towel.

I guess I have 3 questions, really.

1) from reading other posts just a minute ago, I think I might be skipping a step between cleaning with water and putting oil in the pan....am I supposed to dry the pan on the stove before putting oil in? I've just been drying with a towel...

2) The REAL reason I decided to post...what do you guys use to spread oil in the pan? I've been putting a dime-sized to a nickel-sized amount of oil in the pan and wiping with a paper towel. However, it seems like lint from the paper-towel is sticking to the pan in certain spots...Mostly this occurs in some rough spots around the sides. Do you have a suggestion for a lint-free alternative? Maybe cheese cloth or something? I'd hate to have to keep an oily rag lying around just for this purpose, but I suppose I'll have to if that's the case, rather than have lint stick to the pan, only to burn next time I cook...

3) When I clean the pan after cooking, I try to not get water anywhere except for the inside of the pan. Of course though, sometimes the rest of the pan (like the bottom, or other places on the outside of the pan) get wet as well...do you guys put oil on the outside of the pan as well?

As always, you all are a wealth of information and I thank you :LOL:

Dry the cleaned pan on the stove and oil it while it's still hot/warm. Don't worry about the lint, it will wipe out.

The entire pan, inside and out, should be seasoned to prevent rusting. I don't wipe oil on the outside but the seasoning shouyld hold up.

Hi, Quicker. Yes, the pan needs to be thoroughly dried before being oiled. You can put it on the burner for this purpose; wait for the pan to cool down before oiling it. I use a piece of paper towel, just as you describe. When cleaning the pan, it's almost impossible, for me at least, to prevent water from getting anywhere other than inside the pan. Drying it on the stove will take care of this. There's no need to oil the outside of the pan, since the oil will become part of the seasoning and it's not necessary to season the outside.

HTH.

Each of your questions have been effectively answered. I would only add that I do not "oil" pots/skillets etc that I frequently use after each use. Cast iron that is well seasoned will not rust between use if washed and dried properly. Some pieces that I use less frequently, I oil depending on the seasoning and aticipated next use time. I also agree with the wash the whole piece, and if needed, oil the whole piece idea!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

If you have something crusty that catches at the paper towel, I think you need a brillo pad or some other kind of scrubby.

The inside of your pan should be smooth as silk.

If you have something crusty that catches at the paper towel, I think you need a brillo pad or some other kind of scrubby.

The inside of your pan should be smooth as silk.

This isn't leftover food that's catching the paper towel, it's the pan itself. The pan isn' perfectly smooth, it does have a "texture" to it...

I was searching the internet looking for data on my electric cast iron skillet. I found a discussion on this site. I logged in now I can't find it. How do I find it? I have e-mailed the company that made it, but have yet to receive a reply. I now know of 2 of these skillets. How many more are out there and working? Thanks

As you continue to cook with the pan, the seasoning will build up and the surface will get smoother. Then the little bits of paper towel lint will no longer be a problem.

I have been using a cast iron skillet and a griddle....and a baking dutch for long time....longer than I have been married...26+....some cast ware isn't machined smooth on the inside....that could be an issue....and does effect cooking/cleaning/seasoning.

Like some of the other posts, I don't always oil....but always clean and dry. I have a good friend with a really old, well seasoned deep skillet. His pan is black with seasoned age. It got that way by not having been heavily scrubbed and always used for deep-fry type cooking. I have never seen a better seasoned pot. Take good care of your cast ware and it will serve you well....don't cook tomatoes in it!! Find an old smoothie if your's has a sand-cast interior. ras

Back
Top Bottom