"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Yet another Cast Iron Skillet question- or 3

Sorry guys, I'm new to the whole cast iron thing. So far I really like it, especially the no-cleaning part Well, I should really say "minimal cleaning" shouldn't I?

Anyway, after I cook in my cast iron skillet, i wipe out the inside with a paper towel and water. I then wipe some veggie oil on the inside, also using a paper towel.

I guess I have 3 questions, really.

1) from reading other posts just a minute ago, I think I might be skipping a step between cleaning with water and putting oil in the pan....am I supposed to dry the pan on the stove before putting oil in? I've just been drying with a towel...

2) The REAL reason I decided to post...what do you guys use to spread oil in the pan? I've been putting a dime-sized to a nickel-sized amount of oil in the pan and wiping with a paper towel. However, it seems like lint from the paper-towel is sticking to the pan in certain spots...Mostly this occurs in some rough spots around the sides. Do you have a suggestion for a lint-free alternative? Maybe cheese cloth or something? I'd hate to have to keep an oily rag lying around just for this purpose, but I suppose I'll have to if that's the case, rather than have lint stick to the pan, only to burn next time I cook...

3) When I clean the pan after cooking, I try to not get water anywhere except for the inside of the pan. Of course though, sometimes the rest of the pan (like the bottom, or other places on the outside of the pan) get wet as well...do you guys put oil on the outside of the pan as well?

As always, you all are a wealth of information and I thank you

Old 10-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Dry the cleaned pan on the stove and oil it while it's still hot/warm. Don't worry about the lint, it will wipe out.

The entire pan, inside and out, should be seasoned to prevent rusting. I don't wipe oil on the outside but the seasoning shouyld hold up.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, Quicker. Yes, the pan needs to be thoroughly dried before being oiled. You can put it on the burner for this purpose; wait for the pan to cool down before oiling it. I use a piece of paper towel, just as you describe. When cleaning the pan, it's almost impossible, for me at least, to prevent water from getting anywhere other than inside the pan. Drying it on the stove will take care of this. There's no need to oil the outside of the pan, since the oil will become part of the seasoning and it's not necessary to season the outside.

HTH.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Each of your questions have been effectively answered. I would only add that I do not "oil" pots/skillets etc that I frequently use after each use. Cast iron that is well seasoned will not rust between use if washed and dried properly. Some pieces that I use less frequently, I oil depending on the seasoning and aticipated next use time. I also agree with the wash the whole piece, and if needed, oil the whole piece idea!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
... I do not "oil" pots/skillets etc that I frequently use after each use.
I do not oil after each use either.

Tom
Old 10-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
Head Chef

If you have something crusty that catches at the paper towel, I think you need a brillo pad or some other kind of scrubby.

The inside of your pan should be smooth as silk.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
If you have something crusty that catches at the paper towel, I think you need a brillo pad or some other kind of scrubby.

The inside of your pan should be smooth as silk.
This isn't leftover food that's catching the paper towel, it's the pan itself. The pan isn' perfectly smooth, it does have a "texture" to it...
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicker Thinker Upper View Post
This isn't leftover food that's catching the paper towel, it's the pan itself. The pan isn' perfectly smooth, it does have a "texture" to it...

Don't worry about it. IT wipes off
Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I was searching the internet looking for data on my electric cast iron skillet. I found a discussion on this site. I logged in now I can't find it. How do I find it? I have e-mailed the company that made it, but have yet to receive a reply. I now know of 2 of these skillets. How many more are out there and working? Thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Don't worry about it. IT wipes off

That's the thing though, it doesn't seem to easily wipe off...