"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #41
Executive Chef

I have had used cookware all of my life. All of the best pieces I use now are used from second hand shops and yard sales. They hold more value for me because I picked them up for a song. I have been a junk monkey all of my life. It doesn't mean I like junk, but, I like rooting through it to find the gems. Then, I can use my hard earned money for other stuff.
You shouldn't take it personally that she "just doesn't get it". It's her loss. Not yours.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

she clearly doesn't understand why these things are better, so it's a matter of having to teach her their intrinsic value vs. how nuch patience you have in doing so.

she also clearly needs a lesson in manners, so i hope you've got a lot of patience.

learning good manners will be much more difficult.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I have had used cookware all of my life. All of the best pieces I use now are used from second hand shops and yard sales. They hold more value for me because I picked them up for a song. I have been a junk monkey all of my life. It doesn't mean I like junk, but, I like rooting through it to find the gems. Then, I can use my hard earned money for other stuff.
You shouldn't take it personally that she "just doesn't get it". It's her loss. Not yours.
I agree. I use used cookware by choice. Much of mine is stamped with the initials of the original owner. This was the norm when chefs were expected to provide their own tools. I cannot use a 150 year old pot without wondering just how many great meals have been in those pots.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I agree. I use used cookware by choice. Much of mine is stamped with the initials of the original owner. This was the norm when chefs were expected to provide their own tools. I cannot use a 150 year old pot without wondering just how many great meals have been in those pots.
so true
years ago grandmother offered to send me the old pots she'd had all her life as she wasn't cooking much anymore and they were getting too heavy for her. I gladly accepted...4 mint condition perfectly seasoned authentic Griswold pans and a DO, as well as an original Magnalite roaster. I also collect professional copper cookware. Thanks to previous generations, I have the best cookware in the world.

I am very glad you found a grateful taker for the LC.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
so true
years ago grandmother offered to send me the old pots she'd had all her life as she wasn't cooking much anymore and they were getting too heavy for her. I gladly accepted...4 mint condition perfectly seasoned authentic Griswold pans and a DO, as well as an original Magnalite roaster. I also collect professional copper cookware. Thanks to previous generations, I have the best cookware in the world.

I am very glad you found a grateful taker for the LC.
I also acquire old CI cookware. It is amazing to me that so much of grandma's Griz and Wag is available for the picking at estate sales. You would think there would be at least one grandchild that would enjoy using something their grandmother used.

Meanwhile, back on topic. I would bet that if you cave and buy orange cookware for your grandniece that she will be back in a few months when her new favorite color is green.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #46
Sous Chef

What an unappreciative kid! Wow NOT COOL! When I moved out of my moms many many moons ago, she asked what I would like to have of her cookware, I chose 3 pieces of LC. All orange {I think that was the only choice back in the day} I am sure that mom shed a tear or two when they left her kitchen. I didn't cook then like I do now, but I seemingly KNEW quality even at such a tender age. Now here it is 30+ years of my ownership and many years of moms ownership later. Still in use and something that when my 13 yr old moves out I can hand-on to her.
With history, and a good tale to tell her kids.
I am sure that I will shed a tear or two as well.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
My cousin Jeff was very angry when he heard what happened. He was upset at her rudeness and at her inability to recognize the quality of the gift even if it was used.

Jeff then called dibs on the cookware and so he took them right away. Jeff had been wanting some for a long time and is a cooking enthusiast. Jeff and I are very close and I am happy that he appreciates the Le Creuset.

Jeff didn't care WHAT color they were!
I'm glad it went to a good home. Since she was unable to recognize the quality of the gift, she might have done horrible things to it.

I have had to yell at helpful friends, "Put the steel wool down, NOW!"
Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm glad it went to a good home. Since she was unable to recognize the quality of the gift, she might have done horrible things to it.

I have had to yell at helpful friends, "Put the steel wool down, NOW!"
Good point!

I did not offer her my extra set of knives [F. Dick] because I was afraid I would come by one day and see her opening a can with one!

I am ashamed to admit I took a subtle revenge on her last night. I found some Rachel Ray knives online with a plastic knife block. I told my sister about them, and she bought them for my niece. If they want crap, then I will enable them to get crap.

Am I a terrible person?
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #49
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
One early memory is my 4th birthday. We'd just moved from France to California. I got a new baby doll, with a new hand-tufted mattress and quilt in a new baby carriage. I was in heaven. I was over 30 when my mother told me that all of my Christmas presents had been stolen in a re-fueling layover in the Azores, and I had no toys at all when we arrived in California. Then she told me she bought all that "new" stuff at thrift shops, and cleaned (the doll), stripped a real baby carriage down and refinished it, and made the quilt set herself from discounted fabric.

Knowing this just made the entire birthday even more precious. We were living in temporary housing, with most of our belongings in storage or en route from overseas. All we had was what could fit in a couple of suitcases. So I think of my mother working over that set. No one could beat this with "shiny and new".
I have a shoebox tucked away, it contains my "baby" that my mother made one Christmas. It has black, shiny button eyes, red yarn for hair and was crafted out of an OD green sock. My Mom thinks I'm odd that I have saved it all these years and she is also touched that I have saved it. That doll means more to me than all the fancy things Mom and Dad were able to afford in later years.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
Good point!

I did not offer her my extra set of knives [F. Dick] because I was afraid I would come by one day and see her opening a can with one!

I am ashamed to admit I took a subtle revenge on her last night. I found some Rachel Ray knives online with a plastic knife block. I told my sister about them, and she bought them for my niece. If they want crap, then I will enable them to get crap.

Am I a terrible person?
Let her cut with crap knives. Maybe it'll give her an appreciation of good kitchen utensils. I'm sure when she's sobbing over onions because the blade is dull as heck, maybe she'll see the error of her ways.