"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post
Let her cut with crap knives. Maybe it'll give her an appreciation of good kitchen utensils. I'm sure when she's sobbing over onions because the blade is dull as heck, maybe she'll see the error of her ways.
A little blood will help. I've been known to go to friends' and relatives' houses with a good knife in my purse, and making sure my husband sharpens it before, and double-checks to make sure I take it home. Everyone loves me to help prepare, but their knives are, well, I'll be polite and call them garbage. So if I think I'm going to help, I bring a knife along.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
A little blood will help. I've been known to go to friends' and relatives' houses with a good knife in my purse, and making sure my husband sharpens it before, and double-checks to make sure I take it home. Everyone loves me to help prepare, but their knives are, well, I'll be polite and call them garbage. So if I think I'm going to help, I bring a knife along.
That's a great idea.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

I travel with my own gear to my sister's. I have to scrub the kitchen before I can cook in it. (we had the same parents?)
I found a folding santuko chef knife on line. (A G Russel), It is awesome for just such emergencies as being asked to help prepare something and finding worse than cutco living in the dishwasher.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
I travel with my own gear to my sister's. I have to scrub the kitchen before I can cook in it. (we had the same parents?)
I found a folding santuko chef knife on line. (A G Russel), It is awesome for just such emergencies as being asked to help prepare something and finding worse than cutco living in the dishwasher.
One in-law sells Cutco, and believe me, now that everyone has it, it is a huge improvement over the poop that they used to have.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
That story warms my heart too!

I don't know why I let myself believe my niece would appreciate the Le Creuset, or even the Kitchenaid model 3B mixer I offered her.

The mixer may look too old fashioned for her, and she has not responded yet.

But this is the same girl who asked me why I had "those big old chrome mixers" in my kitchen. When I tried to explain they were Kitchenaid model G mixers, she looked bored.
If you quoted an outrageous price for their value, her ears might perk up. Offer it to Cousin Jeff. He woud appreciate it and take care of it.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
Good point!

I did not offer her my extra set of knives [F. Dick] because I was afraid I would come by one day and see her opening a can with one!

I am ashamed to admit I took a subtle revenge on her last night. I found some Rachel Ray knives online with a plastic knife block. I told my sister about them, and she bought them for my niece. If they want crap, then I will enable them to get crap.

Am I a terrible person?
Not at all. Just come back when she comes and asks you for those Oneida knives you have.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #57
Master Chef

Site Moderator

When I moved of campus in college, when off to Grad school, and when I moved and got my own first apartment and job, all I had was stuff handed down from family. I was glad to get them since I had no money to speak of.

Guess what? I still have most of them. Some broke or just wore out, but I have most of the plates and dishes and even filled out some the pieces with more.

I think those things that I was given or were bought for me are more treasured than those I bought myself.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
When I moved of campus in college, when off to Grad school, and when I moved and got my own first apartment and job, all I had was stuff handed down from family. I was glad to get them since I had no money to speak of.

Guess what? I still have most of them. Some broke or just wore out, but I have most of the plates and dishes and even filled out some the pieces with more.

I think those things that I was given or were bought for me are more treasured than those I bought myself.
I live in a college city. Come late August as the new students are moving into their apartments, they clean out what the last tenants left behind in June. Next you see other new students going down the street looking into the trash along the curb to see what they can find for their apartments. Not much trash left to be picked up by the truck.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #59
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Next you see other new students going down the street looking into the trash along the curb to see what they can find for their apartments. Not much trash left to be picked up by the truck.
I picked up a great 1950's kitchen table, with the chrome legs and edging, that way when I was in Grad school.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I live in a college city. Come late August as the new students are moving into their apartments, they clean out what the last tenants left behind in June. Next you see other new students going down the street looking into the trash along the curb to see what they can find for their apartments. Not much trash left to be picked up by the truck.
That is how my friends and I furnished our first apartments. The kids at Syracuse University go home just prior to Mothers day each year and the streets used to be filled with wonderful things. Today the University works with local charities to pick up the items and give them to people who need them or for use in charity run thrift shops. I also got more than one Christmas tree this way. The students would pitch out fully decorated trees when they went home for break. I still slam on the breaks for a great looking pile of trash!