You Will Never Believe What I Am Forced To Do!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, but don't nurture it, either.

As a young woman, I would not have been "over the moon" with gratitude with used cookware. I well understand the generous gift NOW but for a young woman to understand the generous used cookware gift is just not reasonable. At that age, I would want new stuff too. Just sayin'.:rolleyes:

As a young woman, I would not have been "over the moon" with gratitude with used cookware. I well understand the generous gift NOW but for a young woman to understand the generous used cookware gift is just not reasonable. At that age, I would want new stuff too. Just sayin'.:rolleyes:

Beggars can't be choosers. And if she is "Idolizing" RR, and likes the cookware, "because it's her favorite color", that perhaps she should just be left to her own in getting her cookware.

Cookware is/are tools, not fashion accessories.

Beggars can't be choosers. And if she is "Idolizing" RR, and likes the cookware, "because it's her favorite color", that perhaps she should just be left to her own in getting her cookware.

Cookware is/are tools, not fashion accessories.

I agree. On the other hand, there are other points above Tatt.

I'm just going to let niecy choose and buy her own stuff. I thought I was doing her a favor since she didn't have any cookware at all.

And no, niecy can't afford any of this stuff she wants. But I guess she is too proud and spoiled to accept gently used cookware --even if it is Le Creuset.

And I know that kids like shiny new stuff, but I thought she would appreciate 2nd hand diamonds rather than new cubic zirconias.

I find it hard to believe that there are some of you who are in sympathy with niecey. I don't know how old this young lady is, but it is time for her to learn some of life's lessons. Starting with good manners. And how to accept a gift in a gracious and grateful manner. Someone needs to print out a price list of LC pots and pans and show it to her. Or even print out the reviews from Amazon and let her read them. I certainly wouldn't offer them to her again. I bet if you offered them to a mother of six kids, she would be so grateful. You know with all those kids, she will never be able to afford even one LC pan. If you find a charity that has a thrift store or a church that has a fair each year, they would love to be able to raise money with them for a meaningful cause. And they would show more gratitude than neicey. :angel:

My cousin Jeff was very angry when he heard what happened. He was upset at her rudeness and at her inability to recognize the quality of the gift even if it was used.

Jeff then called dibs on the cookware and so he took them right away. Jeff had been wanting some for a long time and is a cooking enthusiast. Jeff and I are very close and I am happy that he appreciates the Le Creuset.

Jeff didn't care WHAT color they were!

I'm not going to get preachy, but I'll tell you something from personal experience. I won one of those orange Rachel Ray pots a few years back. Last year I had to throw it out because the finish was so badly chipped.

On the other hand, my oldest Le Creuset is 30 years old and doesn't have a scratch.

My cousin Jeff was very angry when he heard what happened. He was upset at her rudeness and at her inability to recognize the quality of the gift even if it was used.

Jeff then called dibs on the cookware and so he took them right away. Jeff had been wanting some for a long time and is a cooking enthusiast. Jeff and I are very close and I am happy that he appreciates the Le Creuset.

Jeff didn't care WHAT color they were!

I think you now have your answer. Do not offer her another present. Steve is right. The RR pots are nothing but junk. And you cannot put them in the oven. Bless Cousin Jeff. He is one smart feller. :angel:

Over the years I have become amazed at how fussy people can be .... even when they don't have the money to back up their fussiness. I've known people who never want anything used and people who don't eat leftovers. Then they poor mouth whining about they can't afford this or that. Duh. For awhile it seemed to be a fad for young adults to on and on and on about how their standard of living was so much lower than their parents (at that point said generation was a decade or so younger than me, their parents a decade or two older than I was). It was such brainless stuff, because their parents weren't born rich and didn't have their own homes and restaurant food that they threw away when they were 20.

I find it hard to believe that there are some of you who are in sympathy with niecey. I don't know how old this young lady is, but it is time for her to learn some of life's lessons. Starting with good manners. And how to accept a gift in a gracious and grateful manner. Someone needs to print out a price list of LC pots and pans and show it to her. Or even print out the reviews from Amazon and let her read them. I certainly wouldn't offer them to her again. I bet if you offered them to a mother of six kids, she would be so grateful. You know with all those kids, she will never be able to afford even one LC pan. If you find a charity that has a thrift store or a church that has a fair each year, they would love to be able to raise money with them for a meaningful cause. And they would show more gratitude than neicey. :angel:
^That

My kids grew up think they had to have everything new and the best. I do't know where they got that attitude from. My sister and I used to haunt thrift shops, yard sales, etc. I don't think my kids ever realized that most of the things in the home were all second hand. The copper Jello molds that were on the wall in the kitchen, The curtains in my daughter's room, table cloths for the kitchen table, even a lot of the pots and pans that I kept for years. I found a couple of cast iron pans that were seasoned to perfection. One was a nine inch and the other a real small one to grill just one sandwich. Maybe they thought the house fairy brought all those things. :rolleyes:

One early memory is my 4th birthday. We'd just moved from France to California. I got a new baby doll, with a new hand-tufted mattress and quilt in a new baby carriage. I was in heaven. I was over 30 when my mother told me that all of my Christmas presents had been stolen in a re-fueling layover in the Azores, and I had no toys at all when we arrived in California. Then she told me she bought all that "new" stuff at thrift shops, and cleaned (the doll), stripped a real baby carriage down and refinished it, and made the quilt set herself from discounted fabric.

Knowing this just made the entire birthday even more precious. We were living in temporary housing, with most of our belongings in storage or en route from overseas. All we had was what could fit in a couple of suitcases. So I think of my mother working over that set. No one could beat this with "shiny and new".

I agree -- offered she turned down now it is up to her to buy her own.
Kids today want everything handed to them, they think they are entitled to it.
They have to learn from the ground up so to speak.
When I first started out, I brought Kmart pot and pans and eventually save for the good stuff. You then appreciate what you have. I see kids lose a button on a shirt then throw it away and buy a new one. Sew a button back on Geesch.
My own daughter wanted a pair of jeans, Can't remember the name now as it was many years ago. So I decided for Xmas to get her a pair, Found them with a price tag of $85.00 - I left them there, Her normal brand works great. Told her she comes up with 1/2 of the money Ill come up with the other 1/2. She never got them. When she wanted another Item that was costly, I told her I would put a certain aomount towards it. She saved and then I added, knowing it was a waste, She found that out. She learn the value of money and to do research as some time spending alot on something as pots and pans can be a value in the long run.

My own daughter wanted a pair of jeans, Can't remember the name now as it was many years ago. So I decided for Xmas to get her a pair, Found them with a price tag of $85.00 - I left them there, Her normal brand works great. Told her she comes up with 1/2 of the money Ill come up with the other 1/2. She never got them. When she wanted another Item that was costly, I told her I would put a certain aomount towards it. She saved and then I added, knowing it was a waste, She found that out. She learn the value of money and to do research as some time spending alot on something as pots and pans can be a value in the long run.

Funny, that's what my mother came up with for an agreement. We lived in a somewhat remote area (what I'm getting at is that we couldn't have regular jobs because you'd have to have a car to get there). I had a sister with, as Mom puts it, champagne taste, beer budget (I think the former is cheaper than the latter these days!). But Mom came to an agreement. We were paid an allowance based on home chores, and we all baby-sat for a little extra. Parents paid for the necessities, but if we wanted a brand name or something extra, then she'd pay half. In other words, if I wanted Levi's instead of no-name el cheapos from K-Mart, I'd pony up for half of it, as did my sibs.

Do not cast your pearls before swine.:pig:

I have learned two things about this gift business over the years

1. If someone offers you a gift accept it graciously and say thank you.

2. When giving gifts, give something that has value or meaning to the recipient.

I went through this with a niece a couple of years ago. I tried to give her some nearly new furniture to fill in at her new house. The thought of used furniture simply horrified her, even though it had belonged to her grandmother, it simply did not "go" with her new home. She failed on number one and I failed on number two. Now I listen to the dry begging and mind my own business. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

One early memory is my 4th birthday. We'd just moved from France to California. I got a new baby doll, with a new hand-tufted mattress and quilt in a new baby carriage. I was in heaven. I was over 30 when my mother told me that all of my Christmas presents had been stolen in a re-fueling layover in the Azores, and I had no toys at all when we arrived in California. Then she told me she bought all that "new" stuff at thrift shops, and cleaned (the doll), stripped a real baby carriage down and refinished it, and made the quilt set herself from discounted fabric.

Knowing this just made the entire birthday even more precious. We were living in temporary housing, with most of our belongings in storage or en route from overseas. All we had was what could fit in a couple of suitcases. So I think of my mother working over that set. No one could beat this with "shiny and new".

That is a mother who knew how to make happy memories for her child. What a lovely story. :):)

That is a mother who knew how to make happy memories for her child. What a lovely story. :):)

That story warms my heart too!

I don't know why I let myself believe my niece would appreciate the Le Creuset, or even the Kitchenaid model 3B mixer I offered her.

img_1118704_0_6dff2b3695889666405094bc9071b049.jpg

The mixer may look too old fashioned for her, and she has not responded yet.

But this is the same girl who asked me why I had "those big old chrome mixers" in my kitchen. When I tried to explain they were Kitchenaid model G mixers, she looked bored.:pig:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom