You Will Never Believe What I Am Forced To Do!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had used cookware all of my life. All of the best pieces I use now are used from second hand shops and yard sales. They hold more value for me because I picked them up for a song. I have been a junk monkey all of my life. It doesn't mean I like junk, but, I like rooting through it to find the gems. Then, I can use my hard earned money for other stuff.
You shouldn't take it personally that she "just doesn't get it". It's her loss. Not yours.

Last edited:
she clearly doesn't understand why these things are better, so it's a matter of having to teach her their intrinsic value vs. how nuch patience you have in doing so.

she also clearly needs a lesson in manners, so i hope you've got a lot of patience.

learning good manners will be much more difficult.

I have had used cookware all of my life. All of the best pieces I use now are used from second hand shops and yard sales. They hold more value for me because I picked them up for a song. I have been a junk monkey all of my life. It doesn't mean I like junk, but, I like rooting through it to find the gems. Then, I can use my hard earned money for other stuff.
You shouldn't take it personally that she "just doesn't get it". It's her loss. Not yours.
I agree. I use used cookware by choice. Much of mine is stamped with the initials of the original owner. This was the norm when chefs were expected to provide their own tools. I cannot use a 150 year old pot without wondering just how many great meals have been in those pots.

I agree. I use used cookware by choice. Much of mine is stamped with the initials of the original owner. This was the norm when chefs were expected to provide their own tools. I cannot use a 150 year old pot without wondering just how many great meals have been in those pots.

so true
years ago grandmother offered to send me the old pots she'd had all her life as she wasn't cooking much anymore and they were getting too heavy for her. I gladly accepted...4 mint condition perfectly seasoned authentic Griswold pans and a DO, as well as an original Magnalite roaster. I also collect professional copper cookware. Thanks to previous generations, I have the best cookware in the world. :chef:

I am very glad you found a grateful taker for the LC.

so true
years ago grandmother offered to send me the old pots she'd had all her life as she wasn't cooking much anymore and they were getting too heavy for her. I gladly accepted...4 mint condition perfectly seasoned authentic Griswold pans and a DO, as well as an original Magnalite roaster. I also collect professional copper cookware. Thanks to previous generations, I have the best cookware in the world. :chef:

I am very glad you found a grateful taker for the LC.
I also acquire old CI cookware. It is amazing to me that so much of grandma's Griz and Wag is available for the picking at estate sales. You would think there would be at least one grandchild that would enjoy using something their grandmother used.

Meanwhile, back on topic. I would bet that if you cave and buy orange cookware for your grandniece that she will be back in a few months when her new favorite color is green.

What an unappreciative kid! Wow NOT COOL! When I moved out of my moms many many moons ago, she asked what I would like to have of her cookware, I chose 3 pieces of LC. All orange {I think that was the only choice back in the day} I am sure that mom shed a tear or two when they left her kitchen. I didn't cook then like I do now, but I seemingly KNEW quality even at such a tender age. Now here it is 30+ years of my ownership and many years of moms ownership later. Still in use and something that when my 13 yr old moves out I can hand-on to her.
With history, and a good tale to tell her kids.:)
I am sure that I will shed a tear or two as well.

My cousin Jeff was very angry when he heard what happened. He was upset at her rudeness and at her inability to recognize the quality of the gift even if it was used.

Jeff then called dibs on the cookware and so he took them right away. Jeff had been wanting some for a long time and is a cooking enthusiast. Jeff and I are very close and I am happy that he appreciates the Le Creuset.

Jeff didn't care WHAT color they were!

I'm glad it went to a good home. Since she was unable to recognize the quality of the gift, she might have done horrible things to it.

I have had to yell at helpful friends, "Put the steel wool down, NOW!"

I'm glad it went to a good home. Since she was unable to recognize the quality of the gift, she might have done horrible things to it.

I have had to yell at helpful friends, "Put the steel wool down, NOW!"

Good point!

I did not offer her my extra set of knives [F. Dick] because I was afraid I would come by one day and see her opening a can with one!:ermm:

I am ashamed to admit I took a subtle revenge on her last night. I found some Rachel Ray knives online with a plastic knife block. I told my sister about them, and she bought them for my niece. If they want crap, then I will enable them to get crap.

Am I a terrible person?:rolleyes:

One early memory is my 4th birthday. We'd just moved from France to California. I got a new baby doll, with a new hand-tufted mattress and quilt in a new baby carriage. I was in heaven. I was over 30 when my mother told me that all of my Christmas presents had been stolen in a re-fueling layover in the Azores, and I had no toys at all when we arrived in California. Then she told me she bought all that "new" stuff at thrift shops, and cleaned (the doll), stripped a real baby carriage down and refinished it, and made the quilt set herself from discounted fabric.

Knowing this just made the entire birthday even more precious. We were living in temporary housing, with most of our belongings in storage or en route from overseas. All we had was what could fit in a couple of suitcases. So I think of my mother working over that set. No one could beat this with "shiny and new".

I have a shoebox tucked away, it contains my "baby" that my mother made one Christmas. It has black, shiny button eyes, red yarn for hair and was crafted out of an OD green sock. My Mom thinks I'm odd that I have saved it all these years and she is also touched that I have saved it. That doll means more to me than all the fancy things Mom and Dad were able to afford in later years.

Good point!

I did not offer her my extra set of knives [F. Dick] because I was afraid I would come by one day and see her opening a can with one!:ermm:

I am ashamed to admit I took a subtle revenge on her last night. I found some Rachel Ray knives online with a plastic knife block. I told my sister about them, and she bought them for my niece. If they want crap, then I will enable them to get crap.

Let her cut with crap knives. Maybe it'll give her an appreciation of good kitchen utensils. I'm sure when she's sobbing over onions because the blade is dull as heck, maybe she'll see the error of her ways.

Let her cut with crap knives. Maybe it'll give her an appreciation of good kitchen utensils. I'm sure when she's sobbing over onions because the blade is dull as heck, maybe she'll see the error of her ways.
A little blood will help. I've been known to go to friends' and relatives' houses with a good knife in my purse, and making sure my husband sharpens it before, and double-checks to make sure I take it home. Everyone loves me to help prepare, but their knives are, well, I'll be polite and call them garbage. So if I think I'm going to help, I bring a knife along.

A little blood will help. I've been known to go to friends' and relatives' houses with a good knife in my purse, and making sure my husband sharpens it before, and double-checks to make sure I take it home. Everyone loves me to help prepare, but their knives are, well, I'll be polite and call them garbage. So if I think I'm going to help, I bring a knife along.

That's a great idea.

I travel with my own gear to my sister's. I have to scrub the kitchen before I can cook in it. (we had the same parents?)
I found a folding santuko chef knife on line. (A G Russel), It is awesome for just such emergencies as being asked to help prepare something and finding worse than cutco living in the dishwasher.

I travel with my own gear to my sister's. I have to scrub the kitchen before I can cook in it. (we had the same parents?)
I found a folding santuko chef knife on line. (A G Russel), It is awesome for just such emergencies as being asked to help prepare something and finding worse than cutco living in the dishwasher.

One in-law sells Cutco, and believe me, now that everyone has it, it is a huge improvement over the poop that they used to have.

That story warms my heart too!

I don't know why I let myself believe my niece would appreciate the Le Creuset, or even the Kitchenaid model 3B mixer I offered her.

img_1118828_0_6dff2b3695889666405094bc9071b049.jpg

The mixer may look too old fashioned for her, and she has not responded yet.

But this is the same girl who asked me why I had "those big old chrome mixers" in my kitchen. When I tried to explain they were Kitchenaid model G mixers, she looked bored.:pig:

If you quoted an outrageous price for their value, her ears might perk up. Offer it to Cousin Jeff. He woud appreciate it and take care of it. :ermm:

Good point!

Not at all. Just come back when she comes and asks you for those Oneida knives you have. :)

When I moved of campus in college, when off to Grad school, and when I moved and got my own first apartment and job, all I had was stuff handed down from family. I was glad to get them since I had no money to speak of.

Guess what? I still have most of them. Some broke or just wore out, but I have most of the plates and dishes and even filled out some the pieces with more.

I think those things that I was given or were bought for me are more treasured than those I bought myself.

When I moved of campus in college, when off to Grad school, and when I moved and got my own first apartment and job, all I had was stuff handed down from family. I was glad to get them since I had no money to speak of.

Guess what? I still have most of them. Some broke or just wore out, but I have most of the plates and dishes and even filled out some the pieces with more.

I think those things that I was given or were bought for me are more treasured than those I bought myself.

I live in a college city. Come late August as the new students are moving into their apartments, they clean out what the last tenants left behind in June. Next you see other new students going down the street looking into the trash along the curb to see what they can find for their apartments. Not much trash left to be picked up by the truck. :)

Next you see other new students going down the street looking into the trash along the curb to see what they can find for their apartments. Not much trash left to be picked up by the truck. :)

I picked up a great 1950's kitchen table, with the chrome legs and edging, that way when I was in Grad school.

I live in a college city. Come late August as the new students are moving into their apartments, they clean out what the last tenants left behind in June. Next you see other new students going down the street looking into the trash along the curb to see what they can find for their apartments. Not much trash left to be picked up by the truck. :)

That is how my friends and I furnished our first apartments. The kids at Syracuse University go home just prior to Mothers day each year and the streets used to be filled with wonderful things. Today the University works with local charities to pick up the items and give them to people who need them or for use in charity run thrift shops. I also got more than one Christmas tree this way. The students would pitch out fully decorated trees when they went home for break. I still slam on the breaks for a great looking pile of trash! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom